East Midlands Area Rep Mr Raider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Leaky Sunroof

Ok, slightly crazy idea my sunroof leaks on the rear corners slightly despite being sealed up. I was thinking if getting some black vinyl wrap to completely cover the sunroof and frame to stick to the roof to prevent any water ingress rather than wrapping the whole roof. Bad idea?! lol

Post Thanks / Like

You could try and find a replacement seal, I got one for my Britax sunroof from Bristol Sunroofs.

I sent them a picture of my sunroof with the make and dimensions and they sold me a seal kit, I've not fitted it yet but it is the right one.

http://www.bristolsunroofs.co.uk/index.php

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks mate, mine is sealed shut at the moment so just weighing up the options, water leaks in through the corners and collects in the internal sunroof frame trim. Then when you go for a drive later you get an improptu shower whilst driving round a corner! lol

Post Thanks / Like

Id try and get new seal m8 , you might be able to use the sunroof one day

Post Thanks / Like

When you say it leaks around the corners, do you mean the outer frame that sits flush on the metal of the roof?

If so, you could take out the sunroof and stick some waterproof gasket around the opening onto the cars metal roof, then put the frame back down and bolt it in, should provide a water seal and stop the unexpected showers

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

from what you say it sounds more like the drain holes are blocked up, i would opt for taking the bugger out and either replacing it with a same sized new sunroof or get new seals etc and give it a thorough overhaul, putting a sticker over the top is just covering up the problem and with a 5 that always bites you in the ass

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Ninebar View Post
    When you say it leaks around the corners, do you mean the outer frame that sits flush on the metal of the roof?

If so, you could take out the sunroof and stick some waterproof gasket around the opening onto the cars metal roof, then put the frame back down and bolt it in, should provide a water seal and stop the unexpected showers
    Basically what happened is sunroof had a leak when I bought the car originally which was made worse when it was re-sprayed in 2006. Some numpty re-fitted the sunroof sitting the frame onto the roof skin with no gasket/sealant whatsoever. I saw the leak when it rained and rushed out and got a windscreen company to seal the sunroof shut between glass lid and frame however still leaked. So bought some sunroof seal and sealed sunroof frame to roof skin which has improved the amount it leaks just not all og it. Ideally it needs carefully removing and replacing with another Britax sunroof. Im under the impression all sunroofs will eventually leak hence the reason why I do not buy anymore cars with them fitted!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Autosport View Post
    from what you say it sounds more like the drain holes are blocked up, i would opt for taking the bugger out and either replacing it with a same sized new sunroof or get new seals etc and give it a thorough overhaul, putting a sticker over the top is just covering up the problem and with a 5 that always bites you in the ass
    True mate, needs carefully removing and replacing or a metal plate to be fitted and sealed into place in the roof.