Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Help with suspension choice and club shop

Hello,
    So I call on your wisdom once more
    Been doing a lot of reading and think I have made up my mind now on getting Koni all around suspension.
    I really wanted the GAZ but look to be not as good????

So the koni ones in the shop look a great price with the discount I just wanted to make sure of something.
    Koni Sport shock absorbers in the shop this is for the rear and fronts for £340? and do I need to make another account up to order with the shop as it dose not seem the discount the items down

finally can someone tell me what springs I should get and where from? I am not to sure if i want to lower or stay standard hight. Is there anything else I should change out at the same time of doing this also.
    Thanks all.

East Midlands Area Rep Mr Raider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help with suspension choice and club shop

The full Koni adjustable kit is for 4 shock absorbers, pair of fronts, pair of rears. You need to create a shop account to order them, they are a great bit of kit as I have some just need to fit them after having them ages!

Spring wise the lowest you can go is 35-40mm as if you go lower and a shock absorber develops an issue like a leak it would not be covered by warranty. Personally i ve got some red AVO front springs with a 35mm drop to go on which will look better than yellow springs on orange shocks .

You will need to strip your front struts out to see what is required, I would say you will probably need to rub down/paint up your top mounts (these are sided gold & black). Also chances are you will need 2 new top hats, and 2 new shock absorber rubber doughnuts, probably 2 new bearings too whilst its all out. Check condition of shock absorber dust covers as these split, however still available second hand from CGB then you're ready to re-assemble.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've heard nothing but good things on the GAZ kit and will be what I buy when the times right.

Post Thanks / Like

As Mr Raider said, your most likely need the other bits, but me personally I would renew those regardless as fairly cheap items, plus as its out in bits it makes sense to renew/refurb where required as will go nicely with new shocks and springs as a over hole package.

Post Thanks / Like

As has been mentioned above, replace bearings and rubber mounts and re furb top mounts while they are out, if they have been on the car a while they will be worn and rusty.

I'd also do wishbone bushes, ball joints and track rod/ends at the same time, for that new car steering feel.

I have the adjustable Gaz coilovers on the front and dampers on the rear, they are very good and very easy to adjust, you can make a car handle and feel very different to drive with just a few turns of the adjusters. You can set them nice and stiff for cornering or soften it up a bit for bumpy roads and speed bumps.

Koni shocks are very good, I have the STR.T on the front of my V70 and am currently in the process of changing all the shocks on my Audi A4 to STR.T's also.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help people anyone no where best place to get the springs from and what the standard spring hight is
    Thanks

East Midlands Area Rep Mr Raider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Its a tough job finding oe height springs, if Campus springs fitted they are not correct and far too tall. Best bet is some good quality -35mm-40mm lowering springs, Spax, PI or some like those. If you fit new oe springs it will look like its on stilts unfortanately!

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't fit OE height springs to be honest. Try some -35mm as suggested or even Apex -50mm like I'm using (on Koni's)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I wouldn't fit OE height springs to be honest. Try some -35mm as suggested or even Apex -50mm like I'm using (on Koni's)
    Any issues with fitting those springs with konis? Id like to drop mine a bit more but was afraid the apex would be too low for the konis!