Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Abandoned in 2003, saving a gtt

Good job! The last photo bottom rear you have that inner part of the inner arch still in one piece. Both mine have rotted away. Luckily the new sill covers it all and it's nothing structural.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Cole View Post
    Good job! The last photo bottom rear you have that inner part of the inner arch still in one piece. Both mine have rotted away. Luckily the new sill covers it all and it's nothing structural.
    Doing a fantastic job

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

So things are still moving along, although I received a call this week from the metal workers. I thought it was going to be a call to say it's all welded and complete....but nope, they now want another £1,100 to complete the work. Keeping in mind there was hardly any fabrication needed as I supplied ALL new parts. Complete p1ss take, especially as I only paid someone to do it due to my time constraints.

So I'm expecting another call from them next week to discuss keeping in mind I'm only a few quid off 3k so far already! I'm not best pleased and going to kick off, especially seeing as I'm probably more qualified than anyone under their roof!

Anyway, in the mean time I have re-repaired the original front bumper. The old repairs where seriously "old school" throw loads of filler both sides. I've cut and ground all the old filler out, strengthened behind and filled the front.

I'll let you know how things go
    Likes tubbyG liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nicely done. Proper skill.

As for the welding. Sounds like we'll be seeing those guys on Watchdog at some point then.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, they completed welding....without my permission and I just received an invoice for another £1,000. So currently making my feelings known and things are on going

Well it's nice to have a solid foundation to work with now, the car is being delivered back to me soon and I'll make sure the job is worth the extortionate price I paid. Least I can now finish the paint, mechanicals etc myself!

Post Thanks / Like

is that the weld join line across the pillars err dont think you'll be happy when you see that in person

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, already kicked off on a number of points

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Welding now 99% complete, very soon it's time for me to do all the filling, sealing, Undersealing and prep. here's some more pics...

Fortunately they have now cleaned up all the welds and warping/gaps

Likes Fordy, Mr Raider liked this post

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

So after finding a few bits that I weren't happy with the finishing of the welding, it's now gone back up to the welders for some re-work

in the mean time, sods law I found a brand genuine NOS passenger rear quarter panel and purchased it. So now i'll have 2 new quarters, overkill but I'm well into making this shell as new as possible and to last another 25 years. I wasn't happy with the used quarter I had fitted at all, so made sense to go all out.

the car comes back in the second week of January when i'll get busy sealing, undersealing and painting the cabin
    Likes Mr Raider liked this post

East Midlands Area Rep Mr Raider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Dont blame you mate getting that new quarter panel, do it once do it right great work.

Post Thanks / Like

Lucky to find any new panels this day and age! I've resorted to second hand...