Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Air filter setup etc

Right, need to decide what to do here....

I will be removing engine and box for spraying the engine bay and to do some works to the engine.

Currently there is a alloy intercooler fitted, fat standard type but im concerned about clearance for my volvo clutch arm fork etc....

Currently has a silly cone air filter that has seen better days.

I was thinking of going back to a standard air box? but i need to purchase one and the cold feed that fits above the intercooler.

My concerns are that i have top push intercooler towards the grill to fit the longer clutch arm, but wont be able to fit the cold air feed like std?

maybe i should just get another cone and knock a heat shield up like my last car?

Cheers

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Air filter setup etc

Whats so special about these k & N filters for the std airbox?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally I think the biggest advantage is you can clean it and reuse. Standard paper filters are starting to get hard to come by.

East Midlands Area Rep Mr Raider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

When Renault designed and built the car they really did not do alot wrong, the standard airbox with paper or re-usuable K&N element is a great set up. You do not get the heat soak issue, seen many a 5 with a cone filter sitting right next to a glowing hot turbo, that is far from ideal. Are you running the GT Tuning 'Breadbin' intercooler? clearance can be pretty limited if you run this and opt for the soft pedal conversion.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Not just sure what it is to be honest, will try find a pic

Post Thanks / Like

Have heard its possible to shave the corner off the soft pedal clutch conversion arm so it misses the slightly larger intercooler.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Its this thing: Sits forwards way to much also!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

I think the thing to do is fit the longer arm and the airbox and see how much aggro you've got with the arm hitting the intercooler. From there, see how much wiggle room you have with the intercooler vs the plastic cold-air inlet. If not enough, maybe consider modding the arm as suggested. If still no good, take a few pics, come back and let's have another think about what options you have.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

The intercooler is a Runn Cool ?? also noticed its a single capacity not a fat one! It doesnt sit correctly in the std bracket so will drill some new holes for it to re locate.

Please put all thoughts on hold as took engine out today i'll be back

Post Thanks / Like

My intercooler is currently a Pace alloy version of the original, fits well in the gap and does not catch the soft pedal clutch fork. I would change that cone air filter as will suck in hot air from turbo. Might be worth fitting a heatshield over turbo too to protect cables/hoses etc that are close to it.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

bought a std airbox last night off ebay will get it, refurb / paint it and thought about putting a heat shield around that also

Post Thanks / Like

The OE airbox, if in good nick, has a heat reflective paint on it already (IIRC). I would leave it as it is.

I managed to use 2-3mm silver reflective sheet that is designed to go on walls behind radiators. It was flexible enough to bend around the airbox and juuust thin enough not to cause difficulty in refitting the airbox. I don't know what difference it made but it looked cool and can't have had a detrimental affect.

The stuff I used had like a polystyrene backing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swinny View Post
    bought a std airbox last night off ebay will get it, refurb / paint it and thought about putting a heat shield around that also
    Good stuff, standard airbox with K&N Element inside, would also run a turbo heatshield to protect nearby cables etc. Might be worth checking the starter motor heatshield is there also to shield heat from the downpipe, helps starter motor to live abit longer .