Post Thanks / Like

NZ Fuego Turbo

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Well I will start yet another project thread for this car. I think its like 5 now?

I bought the car a few years ago now, for $955 nzd, so about 400 of your monies. It was in average condition body wise, straight but a bit of rust bottom of doors and faded paint due to too much cutting and polishing.

The car had had about 12 owners, most in the south Island, so I guess that is why it hasn't rusted yet. So here it is a couple of days after I got it home. The drive home was a 6 hour drive with my dad in convoy with his Renault 19. Car ran good, no problems. Happy as it had done about 3000 miles in 5 years,so wasn't used to much driving.

I drove it like this for about 9 months. I changed the horrible wooden gear knob for a factory one out of my dads parts car, swapped the location of the boost gauge and the computer display so I could see boost when my hands were on the wheel, fixed the wipers as the old joints were badly worn, replaced tail lights with non faded ones and got a matching brightness front indicator lense. Found an oldschool 80's alarm, that still worked by a button under the steering column, tidied up badges etc and got teh paint somewhat shiny.

Then...
    Last edited by Lincooln; 09-07-2015 at 07:29.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: NZ Fuego Turbo

The head Gasket went. So I got that fixed with a bit of learning and searching for parts. Car then ran good again for about 3-6 months. Then on the way down to the lower north island for a French Car weekend, the cylinder liner seals went. It still ran good all weekend, had plenty of the stop leak crap put in it etc.

Once home I had it siting round for a few months deciding what to do. I ended up deciding to rebuild the motor as well as tidy up the engine bay due to the surface rust and now patchy blue paint, new brakes etc.

Pulled motor out about 2 years ago.

Painted the engine bay in a metallic silver 2k in teh carport. came up good. Body will be a Renault liquid yellow when all complete.

Post Thanks / Like

I then found a guy in France selling new pistons, rings and liners so bought a full set off him for a very respectable price. About a third of what it would have been to buy forged/custom pistons here and still have no liners.

I also found the guy my dad bought his Fuego off years ago, and got a set of new OEM bearings, Gasket set, rings and a few other little bits.

I pulled the motor apart and found it to be very full of varnish, gunk etc, obviously had never been looked after properly. Bearings looked quite new, crank is in perfect shape, found some corrosion on the 1 and 4 cylinder liner seats, so they will need to be fixed. Other wise the block had no real corrosion.

I have then had the cam get a custom grind, the head was checked again, leveled, cleaned and had the valves and seats re done, new valve springs to come yet. With the cam I have been following my friend who has built lots of Renault race motors, mainly for his R8 race car, an A110 targa car etc. I had the cam followers machined flat as well. We will cut a spiral groove in the stem to improve lubricant flow too. If people want, I will post a link to his engine build so you can see his reasoning and his quality of work.

I have since also had the radiator checked and cleaned, alternator rebuilt, starer rebuilt, engine mounts are being re rubbered with solid rubber this time to reduce flex.

Also engine wise my mate has machined a tiny lip into the top of the liners. This then penetrates into the gasket fire ring, thus providing a better seal. I have also bought some shim stock to make into liner seals. He uses some shim stock the right height to lift the liner back up, and it also provides a much better stronger seal using the shims and silicone than the factory paper ones.

Once the shims are ready, we will start to assemble the motor, order the valve springs needed etc.

I still need to get flywheel machined and a custom clutch made form the original one. It was just starting to slip in 3rd, and it looks bloody old. Engine mounts will be done soon, then I can mount the engine back in the hole and then try and remember where everything goes.

Some things will need some more painting, turbo needs to be rebuilt too along with the carb. I will order a carb kit off here and do that myself.

I need to still try and remove the g-box drain bung and replace oil, take apart CV's and re grease, replace bottom ball joint, get braided lines for brakes and new front discs and pads and replace the rear half of the exhaust.

All this amongst buying a house, working on and racing my race car, and trying to keep/get my 4wd going.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, great progress. The bay looks great.

Why are these cars so freakin' cool? Lol.

I could have sworn the Turbo model came from the factory with a pronounced black, rubberised spoiler on the lower edge of the tailgate glass. I must be mistaken though as google images proves out. I did find a single image of one of these though, which is similar to a local car I used to see back in the 80's. Yuck!

Post Thanks / Like

A white cat, man that is yuck.

Louvres are cool, but those, well they are truly 80's I suppose.

Re the spoiler, the factory glass has a small lip/rubber thing but it is all built into the factory surround and is the same on all cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

ok, so I want to buy a carb rebuild kit now, but see the shop has sold out.

When will the next lot be in? or where else can I buy from

Cheers
    Lincoln

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lincooln View Post
    ok, so I want to buy a carb rebuild kit now, but see the shop has sold out.

When will the next lot be in? or where else can I buy from

Cheers
    Lincoln
    Hi, they will be in stock hopefully today or tomorrow, they have being delivered at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like

sweet, cheers

Post Thanks / Like

30 now in stock

Post Thanks / Like

Super Excite, Just ordered one. Now the wait, not that I'm waiting on it, but still, Waiting for car parts is always hard.

Post Thanks / Like

Will get out either tomorrow or Saturday for you. Lets see what postage is going to be like

Post Thanks / Like

if it is horrible, let me know and I can help with more money for you

Post Thanks / Like

I did take a look and said about £6 but that's fine. Think it goes up quickly in price when it's parcel sizes.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok So I have been slowly assembling my engine a few hours one evening a week.

Problem found by my mate who is helping me.

Two sets of big end bearings and no mains.

So where is best place to get a set of bearings for the wee A5L?

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure on best place but Glyco part number is h1034/5std for standard mains.
    Or for Kolbenschmidt part number is 77091608

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot View Post
    Not sure on best place but Glyco part number is h1034/5std for standard mains.
    Or for Kolbenschmidt part number is 77091608
    cheers for that.

I will have to go and do some digging this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

So I found a very helpful place here that ordered the bearings in for me, overnightf rom Australia and at a very good price.

We then went to assemble motor and found tw things: first was that I was missing one thrust washer, so I might as well buy a new set. Second was that when we put the big ends on, the crank would seize up. Turns out my OEM bearings were .25 oversize,. We did not realise this though because being OEM it just had a different part number.

Have now got a new set of Kolbensmidt big ends. Again at a decent price.

Does anyone have part numbers for thrust washers? I could probably just get them from the same crowd, but having a part number makes life easier.

Cheers
    Lincoln

Post Thanks / Like

I will check tomorrow and see what I can find

Post Thanks / Like

awesome, thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Glyco is A195/2STD or A195/20.10mm for oversize

78851608 is for Kolbenschmidt std
    78851618 is for .05mm oversize
    78851628 for .1mm oversize

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you good sir. I will order them today

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, so now the motor is almost finished except a couple of oil gallery plugs need to be fitted and it needs some paint and new spark plugs and leads. Otherise it is all assembled. A HUGE big thank you to FRANS for his hard work and the use of his workshop and experience.

I am moving house by the end of the month and I will finally have a proper garage so I can get it up on some axle stands, rebuild the CV's with my grease, get the gearbox out for a clean and a new drain plug, new bottom ball joints, brake lines etc.

So you may actually see some progress?

Pic dump below.

PLEASE ASK QUESTIONS ON ANYTHING. I CANT BE BOTHERED TYPING IT ALL UP RIGHT NOW, LOL

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking awesome, I bet you can't wait to turn the key and get it running.

Post Thanks / Like

I really can't wait. Been so long since I had a fast road car for weekends etc.