Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Horrendous Noise flywheel/starter ?

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Hi all,

I've used the search function and I've seen a couple of people a few years ago describe a similar noise but I've yet to find a solution.

Bascically my car is making a grinding/whirling/scraping noise definitely coming from the starter/flywheel end. The car runs fine, good oil pressure, no overheating or missing, the engine sounds fine.

The noise is sporadic, it comes and goes idling or whilst driving.

See below for before and after videos, hopefully someone can offer some advice or will know what the issue is.

Engine with no horrible noise https://youtu.be/TZmoaYfDJqw

Engine WITH horrible noise https://youtu.be/Ev3nf92cZ8g

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Horrendous Noise flywheel/starter ?

are the teeth on the flywheel ok? any marks or shiny tips? wonder if the starter shaft is engaging and getting stuck out sometimes causing the noise?

Another thought does the noise go if you push the clutch pedal down?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by James5 View Post
    are the teeth on the flywheel ok? any marks or shiny tips? wonder if the starter shaft is engaging and getting stuck out sometimes causing the noise?

Another thought does the noise go if you push the clutch pedal down?
    Hi James,

Thanks for the reply, I'll check the teeth on flywheel today but when looking yesterday I couldn't notice anything, a few people have suggested starter motor not disengaging. The noise stays regardless of clutch so pretty sure it not release bearing or similar. Oddly I took the car for a good 45 min run yesterday and the noise cleared although I could occasionally hear when coming up to junctions.

What's confusing is the fact that it's sporadic but it's definitely coming from flywheel/starter region. Will a new starter fix it do you think ?

Will it cause long term damage to flywheel ? It did seem to clear though so will monitor today.

Thanks

Mark

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

It's the clutch!!, I had this on a customers car a few months back which had the same noise,sounds like metal to metal kind of noise yeah?, it won't be the starter sticking as you would smell it burning out plus you say you've driven it for 45 mins so the starter would be totally shagged by then.....think about it!!!.
    I put a new clutch in his car and it's never done it since......needless to say he was over the moon 😊.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a similar one with a 480turbo gearbox going and sounded horrific. Had to drive from york to blackburn via the A59 in 4th gear that was fun lol good job it was a sunday.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheers all, car is off the road whilst I fit uprated turbo (GT25). The noise had seemed to disappear after I had driven it for a day or two.

I'll monitor over the coming weeks once the car is up and running again. To be honest with the spec I am going to be running I'm going to need a better clutch anyway. Will update in a week or so.