Post Thanks / Like

Possibly the end of my GT Turbo love affair

Hello All

I have bought a new toy, a VX220 Turbo. I have only had it 3 days but I can honestly say that I doubt I will buy another 5. As standard they have got 196bhp reaching 62mph in 4.7secs but this one has got 240bhp 😀

I have never driven anything like it, it just grips around corners and on launch. It really does bring a massive smile to your face!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Possibly the end of my GT Turbo love affair

Another pic
    Attached Images Attached Images

East Midlands Area Rep Mr Raider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Very nice mate, bit different to a 5 for sure . I still love a 5 for what they are though.

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I was on a track day with a load of VXR's in July, they're massively rapid things!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice car. I was with a friend in preston when he reversed onto one twice in his vw toureg. Each time thinking hes mounted a high pavement. I said that dont feel like a pavement lmao. The vxr220 was totalled apparently they are a complete fibreglass shell.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by B18ftMOJO5 View Post
    The vxr220 was totalled apparently they are a complete fibreglass shell.
    They are pretty much, which is why an awful lot of them are cat C and cat D cars. They tend to get written off after a small knock as things like the entire front clamshell costs a small fortune. There are companys who make replica fronts etc so buying a damaged one and repairing is always an option.

I remember test driving a series 1 Elise back in about 2000 and just walked away from it. It was totally gutless compared to my modded Renault 5 and I found the brakes were terrible. I remember working out at the time that my 5 had a much higher power-to-weight ratio and with it being a turbo they always feel even quicker when you get that kick in the pants as the turbo kicks in. So I think the VX220 Turbo would be what id get as well. Ive kept an eye on them for the last 2 years or so and the prices have kept very strong. So strong infact that some people buy the non turbo one then modify that instead. Cracking cars though, and on my "want" list for one day.

Committee, Treasurer, Memberships admin Ian S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Regarding turning in and cornering, I had a similar experience is a Renault Spider, was a delight in every way the 5 was a struggle. Part way through corners in which the 5 was objecting and under steering, I could just turn in more and / or apply more power. I knew that type of conveyance was what I 'needed'.

However, you can't carry a sack of garden cuttings, or furniture, etc, in one so there remains a need for a hatchback as well.

And I think for use around the terrain I live in, Eastern London, I'd normally take the 5 (or the Cinquecento in my case now) for ease of moving though the traffic and parking.

Post Thanks / Like

Now that is a lovely piece of kit.

My friend has a modified one in red for the track. Super quick. Agree with all the things everyone else is saying about them.

Post Thanks / Like

I do like the look of that.

Post Thanks / Like

The way that this delivers its power is very simular to a high bhp GT Turbo but in my opinion, a lot more powerful! It has got a more modern, fuel injected 2ltr Turbo charged engine rather than a carb 1.4 Turbo. The weight is also very simular, the Vx220 is just a tad over 900kg. My last GT Turbo was around 170bhp and that would just about keep up with my dads Caterham but the Vx220 leaves his Caterham behind!

As you have already pointed out, the shell is completely fibreglass so you do not really want to prang it or it could result in it being an economical write off. Probably more ofter than not, these are cat C or D..

This one is totally clean, I am the 3rd owner, 32k miles and extensive history. The prices are actually going up and the cheapest that I have seen for a turbo is 12k but it has got horrible custom paint and 56k on the clock. Generally the Turbo will cost between 14k-15k. The engine is from the Astra GSI so its cheap to maintain and repair but the suspension could be a bit pricey as its Lotus. The exhaust system is also very pricey, my back box cost £800!

Honestly if you have never been in one I can not suggest enough that you do! You will love it!

Post Thanks / Like

Ace

Cost (both upfront and maintenance), is definitely the biggest difference between the two cars (bigger even that the performance difference). GTT's are getting more expensive but bang for buck and excitement, they are still right up there on the list competing on terms.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post
    Ace

Cost (both upfront and maintenance), is definitely the biggest difference between the two cars (bigger even that the performance difference). GTT's are getting more expensive but bang for buck and excitement, they are still right up there on the list competing on terms.
    Oh I fully agree!

No one can argue that a GT Turbo is not one of the best power for pound. You could get 220-240bhp from a GT Turbo for far less that 15k. Realibility might be an issue though with the C1J at that sort of power but then again, you could rebuild it 10 times and still have money left in your pocket!
    Last edited by Rob1980; 17-03-2015 at 16:18.

Post Thanks / Like

GTT will alaways be a win because nobody expects the power from such a small old car.

Also getting thumbs up and people stopping for chats.

Love and hate relationship but thats no different from anything else.

Break it then who cares just have some spares.