Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Phase 1 electric blue 5 gt

Hi guys this is my first Renault 5 and my first project. I thought I'd just do the least amount of work possible to get an MOT but I've already gone much deeper and its now a full on project.

First thing I did was buy some turbines for it, I'm going to polish them and get some new tyres but that can wait for now.

I'm replacing the dampers front and rear with koni and front springs with new -35/40mm H&R

I've stripped out most of the interior to check for rot and taken the body kit off too

That's pretty much where I'm at as of today

What do you guy think?
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Phase 1 electric blue 5 gt

Good progress love that colour on a 5

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just spoken to my brother about welding, seems he's up for it. Hopefully tie him down to a date in the very near future

East Midlands Area Rep Mr Raider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks a solid base for a project, love the colour! whats requires welding, usual sills, jacking points and bumper brackets?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've not looked at the bumper brackets but yeah small area on one sill and the floor pans have some holes in that need sorting. They might be drain holes but the carpet and foam was soaking wet and theres some surface rust that needs investigation

Post Thanks / Like

Great looking project mate

Keep us updated pal

Post Thanks / Like

Looks nice! I hope it doesnt need any visible paintwork doing as I found the electric blue was a nightmare to match. The one I had back in 97 had the paintwork so faded that it would have been easier to respray the whole car rather than the panels I had done.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

It does actually need the drivers door painting because it has been keyed. It isn't the original paint so might not be faded and too hard to match. I haven't checked if there's a clear coat over the blue yet because I was hoping to cut it back to a nice shine

Trader
    GT Turbo Spares co.uk
    South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice to see another Phase 1

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just the man, I was looking at your website when you commented lol. I'll need to contact you about interior parts in the near future

Trader
    GT Turbo Spares co.uk
    South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Not a problem, happy to help, website is a little out of date not been on line much since my accident but on the mend

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear that buddy, hope it wasn't too bad!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beng View Post
    It does actually need the drivers door painting because it has been keyed. It isn't the original paint so might not be faded and too hard to match. I haven't checked if there's a clear coat over the blue yet because I was hoping to cut it back to a nice shine
    Ah you might be in luck then if its been repainted. On my one, i didnt realise how faded it was until I looked inside the boot - the original electric blue was about 20 shades darker than the outside of the car. I had bonnet, boot & doors repainted on mine and the guy had to do it twice before the match was "acceptable" to me, but even then it was never 100%. Luckily when I sold it the buyer didnt notice!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've spent the weekend cleaning and repairing the front seat. The drivers seat had two holes in. The repairs are perfect but they're better than holes. I used glue and then the mother in law sewed the stitches back in

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I also tried the turbines on for size, I love them

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I managed to get the dash board out today, what a ****. Is it just me our are the clips on at the top impossible to undo without brute force and ignorance?

I've also finished getting the sound deadening off the floor so I can deal with the holes were the old role cage was bolted down. It took me a while to figure out what they where for.

Tomorrow I'll remove the rest of the firewall blanket and check for rust and random holes. The plan for next weekend is to get the rear bumper and arches off and That should uncover all the places rust tends to hide.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cracked on with it again today, managed to get the heater case and matrix out after removing the inter cooler and draining the coolant.

I'm taking out the windscreen next to check for rust plus its cracked anyway so it needs replacing

Post Thanks / Like

Good effort Ben.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Trevhib. What do people think I should do about the arches and skirts on my car? I was thinking about maybe painting them matt black or shiny black because I really want them standard rubber colour. Has anyone on here tried to retore the look of their ph1 body kit?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking good! The bumpers and kit on my phase 1 are matt black and I think it would look great with the blue You can also get textured bumper paint in grey if you wanted to make it more oe. Either way I reckon it's gonna look the nuts

Post Thanks / Like

One of the other members used a 'stippled' effect paint finish on his Ph1 bumper refurb and they looked great. I can't remember who it was but I think Haz knows about this sort of thing.

https://www.rtoc.org/boards/member.php?u=125

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

It's been a very long time since I made an update but I've made some progress

The car is now fully stripped and on a roll over jig

I've made a video about the jig itself and I'm planning on making videos of the rest of the car

https://youtu.be/D1rPPO2YVto

Its not the most interesting video you'll ever see, I except no responsibility if your bored lol

I'm getting ready to cut the sills out, doing one side at a time. I'm going to rest the shell on 4 axle stands and keep it attached to the jig so it should twist or move when I cut metal out

I'm planning on removing the bottom of the outer sill and bottom of the inner sill, so the tops stay in place

If anyone has any advice/detailed pictures of sill repair I'd appreciate it

Post Thanks / Like

Great work in the vid

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks buddy, it's ok for a first try isn't it. I spoke to turbo ted last night on Facebook, he told me some info about the sill work. Hopefully I'll have another video done on the 1st of next month

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've made a another video, still a steep learning curve for me (working on the car and making videos)

I hope you enjoy it

https://youtu.be/313RK3f4dNU

Post Thanks / Like

"so when you put your drill on it, is doesn't go, nyiiiiiii-iiiiinyiiiii....pffffffffff, wooo."

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheers trev, glad you like it 😉

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been offered another car (not a Renault) and I'm going to sell everything I've got to make room.

Everything is available and I'll try to list things in the for sale section in the next week or so.

I'm sad at the thought of giving up but I cant pass this other car by so I'm basically breaking my Renault as it is already stripped

Post Thanks / Like

That's a shame but if needs must, breaking is a horrible word to use in the same sentence as a 5Gtt but it makes some sense with the car as it is.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beng View Post
    I've been offered another car (not a Renault) and I'm going to sell everything I've got to make room.

Everything is available and I'll try to list things in the for sale section in the next week or so.

I'm sad at the thought of giving up but I cant pass this other car by so I'm basically breaking my Renault as it is already stripped
    If you do brake the car can I have first dibs on the phase 1 body kit please ?