Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

WANTED - Renault 5 Raider or Phase 2 GT Turbo

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Hi All

On the look out preferably for a Raider or a phase 2 GT Turbo.

Don't mind engine mods but want exterior & interior to be as close to OE standard as possible.

I'm checking the classifieds daily but if members on here could either notify me & give me a heads up of any cars they may know of that are or could be up sale.

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: WANTED - Renault 5 Raider or Phase 2 GT Turbo

Welcome to the club. Good luck with your search

There is a newly listed Raider on Gumtree here. Can't vouch for it mind:
    http://www.gumtree.com/p/renault/ren...der/1097151138

This silver Ph2 might be worth a look:
    http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...--1989/3279029

Post Thanks / Like

I think that raider sold on ebay a couple of weeks ago for £3750

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the club. I used to live in cov good luck with your search.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shiers999 View Post

I think that raider sold on ebay a couple of weeks ago for £3750
    I wonder if the new owner is just trying to flip it for a couple of hundred quid as the GumTree advert appears to be new. Mind you, with a starting price of £4k he's not going to get much out of it! Maybe he's had a change of plans and just wants to sell on for what he paid.

Either way, I'd be looking very closely at the details to make sure it's straight.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys

Yeah I've seen all those, Raider looks ruff, clocks changed etc etc, Silver one looks not so bad but would prefer a car under the 100k mark tbh ?!!

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Best of luck finding the right car for you.

Don't get hung up on mileage. There is some dreadful rubbish out there that is (or claims to be) 70-90k and some absolutely excellent examples that happen to have 150k mileage but have actually been maintained. These days the condition of the cars is a lot more important than what the odometer says. However, if you have the time to wait and the money to spend, a genuine low mileage example that's been looked after is never going to be a bad choice

Edit. Some confusion on this thread but this Raider might be available: https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?p=390635

Post Thanks / Like

As above, mileage means nothing on these old cars now. Id personally just look at condition. You could (for example) buy a 80k miles one needing tons of parts replacing, or a 90k one which had everything done.

Back 1990`s when I was buying/selling/running these as daily cars, I used to find at about 80k everything needed doing. Id usually end up buying one, then having to replace suspension, brake discs/pads, clutch, turbo, radiator, wheel bearings etc. etc. all within the first few weeks of owning. But, id factor that into the price id pay for the car in the first place. My logic was at least if ive replaced all the bits which needed to be replaced i knew they had been done properly etc.

Id make sure you are aware of what the common problems are, then you can check them out when you view a car. As well as car history, the attitude of the owner says a lot about the car. If they are an enthusiast then chances are they have looked after the car. If they are just some boy racer who doesnt really know much then chances are it may have been thrashed.

Another thing with these cars now. As they are so old, many have been parked up off the road and not used for years and years, before someone has got them back on the road. If thats the case, (mot history can highlight this if you check online - all MOT`s since 2005 can be seen), then id check what was done to get it back up & running as it may have just been done on the cheap, rather than a full recommision.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi All

Thanks for all advice so far, I mostly agree with what's been said, it's the same with all classic cars, buy the best you can afford & if a car has been looked after then mileage isn't normally an issue, although low mileage is something that can never be replaced hence a desirable low mileage example always command top money.

I have seen this car -

Look at this on eBay:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=261743964413

Renault 5 Turbo Raider

Which I have spoke with previous owner regarding the car & doesn't speak too highly of the current owner, it has higher mileage than I had wished.

Anyways can anyone vouch for this car or shed any light on it, photo images leave a lot to be desired ?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Tooty; 29-01-2015 at 12:08.

Committee Member
    Social Media
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats in the club

Found a resto thread here for it

https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthrea...ghlight=Raider

Post Thanks / Like

Good spot Lee.

New owner says '1 of 300 made'. Righto.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

SOLD... And gone to Glasgow so i've been told this morning !!!

East Midlands Area Rep Mr Raider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah I see, Gary Smith owned this until recently, believe he was on here, project thread on resto section, he did find some strange/dangerous bodges on it once bought. A guy called Nick Wyse had it prior to Gary.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Raider View Post
    Ah I see, Gary Smith owned this unti recently, believe he was on here, project thread on resto section, he did find some strange/dangerous bodges on it once bought. A guy called Nick had it prior to Gary.
    Yeah Gary swapped it for VW Corrado to the value of £3500 about a month ago & the person he swapped it too apparently says it's now sold & gone to Glasgow.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it might be a blessing in disguise.

East Midlands Area Rep Mr Raider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh right I see, think he got the car mostly sorted in the time he had it. Has Mike Wilson bought it?!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi

Anyone know this car

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=251818025376

Thanks again

Post Thanks / Like

No but that definitely deserves some investigation going on the pictures

Post Thanks / Like

There are still some cars out there under 100K but you will only be able to validate that with a decent amount of history. Cars which still have less that 5 owners on the log book are generally the ones that will be a more honest car.

When searching for mine I did 5 HPI checks. The best one was a 54k genuine, in white with 19 previous recorded owners. Go figure. Any 5 could have had the clocks changed or the speedo fail for a period of time.

People say mileage doesn't matter. It did to me and I would not have spent all my hard earned cash on a dog just to own a 5. It took me 3 years before the right one turned up with the history I was after. It makes it even rarer when you have a good history file on these cars. Long term, a collector would always opt for the one with low miles and low owners as opposed to a one that has had about 4 colour changes in its life, numerous engines etc

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mingblus3 View Post
    There are still some cars out there under 100K but you will only be able to validate that with a decent amount of history. Cars which still have less that 5 owners on the log book are generally the ones that will be a more honest car.

When searching for mine I did 5 HPI checks. The best one was a 54k genuine, in white with 19 previous recorded owners. Go figure. Any 5 could have had the clocks changed or the speedo fail for a period of time.

People say mileage doesn't matter. It did to me and I would not have spent all my hard earned cash on a dog just to own a 5. It took me 3 years before the right one turned up with the history I was after. It makes it even rarer when you have a good history file on these cars. Long term, a collector would always opt for the one with low miles and low owners as opposed to a one that has had about 4 colour changes in its life, numerous engines etc
    Hi Simon

You've hit the nail on the head there, that's exactly how I feel, it took me 18m to find my Porsche 944 Turbo SE & I even missed certainly one maybe two cars in that time as I just couldn't get to view them quick enough !!!

Post Thanks / Like

944 Turbo, I've been looking for one myself but have now decided to look for a 968 convertible but again these just keep going up and I've missed a few decent ones.

The 5s are not as easy to find in cherished condition. If you have the cash buy one more or less done with all the parts. You will be surprised how much its costs to do a resto on one of these. As much as it might appear that parts are available they are not and it will frustrate you.

That raider does look good. But go and have a look. Do not buy one until you've been to see it. You might think the paintwork looks good on the photos but you can never tell until you see it in the flesh.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure anybody said mileage doesn't matter.

Any buyer that has the time and money should always wait for a low mileage, low number of owners, full service history example (or whatever it is that fits the requirements).

How long to wait is a personal decision and there is a balance to be had, as life is what is happening while you're planning/waiting. Everyone makes their own mind up as to what's acceptable in this regard.

Post Thanks / Like

some people

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

BUMP, Raider still very much wanted, due to unforeseen circumstances I had to put on back burner, I am a bonified member & by the looks of things have missed a 4.5k minter Raider in my absence ?!!

Thanks in advance