Post Thanks / Like

Help & Advice please

Hi all,

i am after some help & Advice on the following prolems,

Last year we rebuilt the engine in my R5,everything went back in ok and started up with no hic ups etc.. and all new parts. The probelm i have is as follows-

Alternator- if i plug the yellow cable in the alternator (nearest the engine) the revs drop and the starter sticks open and it wont charge the battery. Leave it off and i dont have the probelm. has anyone got any tips or ideas why this would be please? i have read up on most threads yesterday and i am still at a loss as to why this would happen.

Many thanks
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help & Advice please

Dan, take a couple of pics of how you've wired up your alternator and post it in this thread, maybe that will reveal something

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

By plugging it into the alternator you must be supplying the solenoid a constant live feed?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys

This picture is not great and i will take more at the weekend. Let me know if you see something a miss.

cheers Dan

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe put a multimeter on the yellow wire with the ignition switched off. See if it's permanently live

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Trev

will give that a go with a few other tests and checks, when the car is running should there always be 12v coming from the yellow when it's not plugged into the alternator?

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure.

I think I need to state at this stage that I do not know what I'm talking about. Am hoping someone else will chime in.

Post Thanks / Like

did u wire anything extra in....concerning the ign switch

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danr5Gtt View Post
    Thanks Trev

will give that a go with a few other tests and checks, when the car is running should there always be 12v coming from the yellow when it's not plugged into the alternator?
    I think yellow wire are normally switched lives, so should be live once the engine is running. Perhaps you should follow this wire back and see where it's going.

Post Thanks / Like

did u wire anything extra in....concerning the ign switch

The only extra in the ign switch i can think of will be the alarm- which i may disconect on Sat as a test.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by danr5Gtt
    Thanks Trev

I think yellow wire are normally switched lives, so should be live once the engine is running. Perhaps you should follow this wire back and see where it's going.

The yellow cable plugged into the Alternator runs from the loom to that lovely conector of death, its live once the engine is running.

So... I have raided my parts and this little lot could help me out

I have also just ordered a Deutsch DT 12 way conector full set with a view of re doing the whole loom block conectors to be on the safe side.

thanks for all your comments and Tips i guess its a case of process elimination.