Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Corrosion

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Alright guys, just after some opinions really. Has anyone dealt with rot like this in the boot area before or seen ones this bad that have been saved? I also need to do the usual suspects sills, jacking points, some floor repairs, rear bumper mounts and windscreen surround. Don't want to go down reshell route really so just seeing what people think,
    Cheers
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Corrosion

You could see the road through my boot floor around the edges. Sorted though. Nothing is beyond repair.

Post Thanks / Like

All perfectly normal squire!

Good welder will put it right no problem.

East Midlands Area Rep Mr Raider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Pretty normal tbh, they all tend to rust on inside of the boot a line going along where top of rear wheel arch is and inside behind boot trim panel with the light on.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Ah nice one glad to hear its not Un-fixable. I bought a mig but I think ill get a pro to come and do these more tricky areas. Will keep you posted!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Junglist View Post
    You could see the road through my boot floor around the edges. Sorted though. Nothing is beyond repair.
    Did you get yours done by someone in Chester mate or do yourself?

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine was pretty bad (see pics in my profile) but I figured that if I scrapped the car and bought a rolling shell the likelihood is that will be just as rotton once you start taking the bodykit off. Fix it

Post Thanks / Like

Much like everyone is saying you do start to question yourself when you see things like this. I have the sills to do on mine and jacking points too. I haven't uploaded any pics of the rot thou still thinking if i should,as one sill had a repair job done (before I got the car) which.....well is laughable at go for it

Post Thanks / Like

Thats pretty normal. They go all around the rear wheel arches - if you get the body kit off you`ll see. Mine was gone all around the rear arch, and the entire rear bumper side mounting sections had also rotted away. Drivers side usually is worse as you have the fuel tank filler pipes etc which are ideal for dirt, salt and mud etc to get stuck behind and slowly rot the car.

Looks like yours has done the same from the pix. Fixing is easy enough. I just bought some sheet metal and cut out the rotted bit, welded new bit in and redrilled bumper mounting holes etc. I had to patch up a lot of the sills, inner & outer plus do the front jacking points & front bumper mounts. Luckily its all hidden behind the bodykit & side skirts so you dont have to be super good at welding. But, I have to say, after all the welding ive had to do on mine, my welding skills have improved no end!

Another thing you`ll find though is its a nightmare trying to cut rotted stuff back to find "good metal". At one point I thought that none of my car was going to be solid as I kept chopping back more and more rotten metal/sealant. Speaking of which, renault seemed to use shed loads of sealant on the 5, its like half a cm thick around the wheel arches. Annoyingly the metal seems to rot and disintegrate behind the sealant so you end up with just sealant holding it all together.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheers for the encouragement lads, will deffo tackle it. Like its been mentioned some of these N reg campus's that crop up on ebay seem to have rot so wouldnt gain much.
    It only started off as a swap to b18ft last June but I thought ill just tidy the engine bay at the same time... Then it just turned into a full strip down..
    Will post more photos in a bit though probably similar to whats been seen before.

Post Thanks / Like

Project/progress pics are always welcome. Each refurb is individual!

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing is unfixable. Mine was not as bad as yours by the looks of it and i got away with a few patches welded in.

If i was you i would try and get as many repair panels as possible just to make it less work on the fabrication side.

Good luck though and keep us posted with your progress

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

all joints are usually seam sealed, soon as moisture gets under sealer it corrodes like billyo. just use some slitter discs on grinder? air saw and neatly cut out. use 20 gauge steal and seam weld all areas, make sure you prep,etch prime and reseal thoughroly