Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi from Kent

First post!

Good afternoon, just joined so my post is two-fold, firstly to say hello ............and secondly to ask for advice.
    I have always hankered after a 5 turbo, outrageous looks, good performance, car from my youth etc etc. I am fortunate enough to have a number of classics but all older (50`s , 60`s and 70`s) and English, so heres the question, if i do eventually find one, does the club operate an inspection type service for potential buyers or can anyone recommend someone who does this sort of thing? Like I say I have a working knowledge of older cars but would be a bit lost as to what to look for... weak points, prone corrosion points, potential engine issues, etc, in a 5 turbo, so any guidance would be both usefull and appreciated.

Also call me old fashioned (or a bit sad) but I like to research cars so if anyone can recommend articles and or books on these cars that too would be usefull.

Hope this post is in the correct section, if not then I am sure a moderator will tell me or move it.

Regards

David

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hi from Kent

Howdy doo, I'll be living in kent soon might have to have a small meet up. Anyway the 5 turbo is a rare beasty but a few guys on here will know about them, maybe post in the 5 turbo section. I know the old old site had a good right up somewhere.

Have you found one ?

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi David,

Welcome to the club. I take it you mean a Renault 5 GT Turbo, rather than the 5 turbo?

We have a buyers guide on this if you are taking a look at purchasing one of these cars

https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=4795

We have a lot of helpful members all around the areas and I am sure somebody if free could come help you take a look at the car you are interested in. I have just gone up to Sheffield from Essex with somebody to help look over a car. Luckily they did purchase it though as was not too happy waking up at 4:30 in the morning

As for any cars this age rust is going to be the main issue but it depends on your price range and what your skills are, but if owning quite a few classics I'm sure you have got your hands dirty on more than 1 occasion.

South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi and welcome to the club

Where in Kent are you based? I am in gillingham so hopefully your not too far.

I have a fairly sound knowledge of the 5 gt turbo. I wouldn't profess to be a total expert but I can spot a good one or a stinker lol.

So if you find one and would like a second opinion, your more than welcome to contact me.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the club. Your in the right place!
    There is a plethora of info and tech articles. If you can't find something in particular please just shout.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

Liam, I am in Bexley so no real distance to Gillingham. Thanks for offer.

Bigfoot, it's a renault turbo I am after (the mid engined one). Getting my hands dirty is not an issue but my days of taking on a project car, either one that I know to require a lot of work or worse still, one that looks as if it's straight but turns out not to be, are behind me. So looking for a good "honest" car.

JRP, looked at one earlier this year whilst down at leman classic, but hesitated for a few days and it sold. Theres a couple for sale at present and I have spoken to the sellers but I wanted to gain a bit more knowledge (or at least make contact with people with a bit more knowledge) before taking the next step. I am in no hurry.

Matt, thanks for the hello.

Regards

David

Post Thanks / Like

David,

Speak with Ashy on here.

The problem with T2's is that they were shockingly built and rust from the inside out. Believe me I've seen a stripped one in need of major restoration. Where the rust is you wouldn't believe.

The other surprising thing is most stuff is available at the price of a remortgage! I guess if you have the money to buy one then the odd part replacement isn't an issue.

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=26701

Little bit of use ful info

Also, give a sparkie a PM. Knows his stuff on these.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome along

Taking on a Renault 5 Turbo 1 or Turbo 2 is a very expensive pass-time. A good honest car are very rare, will be very costly to buy and then expensive to maintain. A good project car will still be difficult to find, still expensive to purchase, far more expensive (and time consuming) to bring up to standard and then expensive to maintain thereafter in the same way. So going for one in good condition is like taking the lesser of two evils. Absolutely fantastic if money and time is no object.

Even finding a good honest Renault 5 GT Turbo (which is the car most members here have), either Phase 1 or Phase 2, can take a while these days.

My advice, depending on your budget, would be to look upon the Phase 1 GT Turbo as being a near-future classic that is far more palatable from the following perspectives:

- initial cost
    - parts availability
    - maintenance costs
    - availability of general knowledge/advice/community
    - insurance cost

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JRP View Post
    Howdy doo, I'll be living in kent soon might have to have a small meet up. Anyway the 5 turbo is a rare beasty but a few guys on here will know about them, maybe post in the 5 turbo section. I know the old old site had a good right up somewhere.

Have you found one ?
    Where abouts in Kent are you moving to jrp? Be good to have a meet down this way.

South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nad-5GTT View Post
    Where abouts in Kent are you moving to jrp? Be good to have a meet down this way.
    I agree