Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Project: Is it all there.

Yeah I know little Daz. We'll have to meet up when we're on the road, if not before

East Midlands Area Rep Mr Raider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Great work mate, you really have been cracking on with this! love the subframe . Would recommend checking oil pump over & rebuilding carb before giving it some beans .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beng View Post
    Yeah I know little Daz. We'll have to meet up when we're on the road, if not before
    Yeah he goes out with my best mates sister..

Yeah MR Raider, i agree with you.. doesn't mean ill bother though if it lasts ten minutes, that will do for me, need an excuse for EFI or F7T.

Post Thanks / Like

Fair do's, C1J for what they are aint at all bad, heart & soul of a 5GTT .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Raider View Post
    Fair do's, C1J for what they are aint at all bad, heart & soul of a 5GTT .
    I totally agree, i really do. i just have the quest for power this time round so eventually i will be wanting something bigger than a 1.4 i think.. we will see i guess. main priorities are to get it on the road again.

Post Thanks / Like

Get C1J back in. set up for a bar of boost and see how you get on. Can always up it abit more with fuelling set to match. Blue Courteco headgasket with 12.9 headbolts is a must

Post Thanks / Like

Car is coming on real good, keep up the good work mate.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi All.

Haven't done too much on this as of late. I had an accident at work and crushed one of my fingers.

So as you may know my plan was a full rewire using all new connectors, that has gone out the window and i have just been soldering on to the old cables. two main reasons for this 1 being money, if i were to do it totally i would have to buy LOTS of different coloured cables with the traces on etc. this way i can use any old colour as at least the ends are the correct colour. second reason... eventually im going to be changing alot of it again and i will be using aftermarket speedo and rpm etc so wont even be using the connectors. Its all money though and i have ploughed a fare few grand in to it the last few months and need to start putting more aside for the bambino.

Anyway.

Started doing the brake lines so i can start to think about getting the engine in.

Rear bias is just there for something to aim at. i will be getting a second hand one of these and cleaning it up. same with rear shocks, they will be cleaned eventually.

Then started cleaning gearbox. probably took me 4 days so far and still not done

Then started wiring up the instrument panel and switches..

Started cleaning/painting general engine bay pieces/brackets..

I have done more than that but the only pics i have. Doesn't look too bad but the metal is badly pitted so a fare few imperfections but im not trying to build a show car, just want it clean. Lastly i single handed got my engine on the stand ready for resealing sump etc and for a paint up..

Got a couple of weeks of in a couple of weeks so hoping to get quite abit done, plus my finger is starting to get better..

Post Thanks / Like

Looking good

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Trev. its getting there.

Post Thanks / Like

Latest progress pictures.

Took the sump off to check everything i have reciepts for is there and all looks good

Wasnt expecting to be greeted by this, but no complaints!

Baffled sump.

Engine painted and sump and bracketry etc.

Mated to gearbox

And then touchdown..

Started Mocking things up. most of its loose as i havent got the right bolts yet, i need to make a trip to a local bolt supplier next week sometime and start getting things bolted in permanently..

Then made a start on the wiring

ribbed pulley waterpump. Notice i have put some carbon fibre 4d vinyl on the turret, this is purely because of the dreaded brake reservoir, i am hoping it will help protect it a little.

And this is how it is as of the end of today.

will be getting some new bolts Tuesday so will start getting driveshafts in and everything bolted tight.

Thanks for looking.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm loving that purple great choice mate 👍👍👍

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Looking very good!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, big updates, looking really well

Post Thanks / Like

not much to update but a few pictures of what I have been up to. Bit annoying really as ive tried to do a job and realise i need little bits or run out of jubilles or something soft. I have got loads of little jobs started but jack all finished

Going to try and get the engine bay complete before the next update.

Have decided against the charge cooler and currently sat next to my shiny new front mount. if i cant mount in the grille area think ill have to chop the cross member..

can anybody help me out on turbo watercooling if im not running the inlet water pipes.. do I just run from the turbo straight back to the waterpump? so there will be two pipes coming off the waterpump going straight to the turbo, does this sound correct?

Thanks for looking

Post Thanks / Like

not much to update but a few pics of what I have been up to the last couple of weeks.

fitted a front mount and relocated oil cooler.

Please note, the intercooler was not straight when i took this picture but is more straight now..

Ordered my airfilter and its not the one i wanted so got to buy another

And then my first time mig welding on something other than the tin can of a car. im reasonably happy with it, there is one spot where i just randomly welded well off where it needed to be

And now i have started the rewire and that is well underway with only 6-7 circuits left to do..

cheeky random pic..

low beam

high beam

new fuseboard layout..

few more circuits in

Its all messy at the minute, I am not prepared to do it neat until I know its all working how I want it to and until i have fettled about alot more. so please excuse the birds nest.

anyway thats where im at with it.

next jobs are to get the exhaust on, fit drive shaft roll pin and clean and fit the rear brakes. the wiring will take a back seat for abit as i need more parts but would rather do a few other jobs to see if i come across any other parts i need then make one last order hopefully.

thanks.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Boi you done good!! Nice job

Post Thanks / Like

Well, chaps.

I fear this car is never going to see the light of day in my ownership.

our little boy has arrived safely into the world and parenthood is more time consuming than i ever imagined.

I am mostly considering breaking it for parts at the minute but not rushing into any major decisions just yet. My Mrs has been pretty poorly after a non straight forward birth so i will see if i get much more time when she is back on her feet properly and able to drive etc.

last thing i managed to do was get my strutbrace on and complete more wiring which is about 80% complete now.

Oh, and i had it running sounds mint, massively overfuelling at the minute but believe that to be down to having a non standard main jet and adjustable fuel reg.

will leave you with the last two pictures i took of the car and the last time i seen it

hopefully my next post will be progress and not a breaking for parts post...

cheers.

Post Thanks / Like

James dont break her, shes almost done perservere it will be worth the wait.

Post Thanks / Like

i dont want to mate believe me. but rather that than it sit there untouched for years. Will see how it goes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jamie_clioGTT View Post
    i dont want to mate believe me. but rather that than it sit there untouched for years. Will see how it goes.
    Been there got the t shirt 4 x boys later wish I'd never sold my original red 5. Albeit lady lucks shone on me as late, but keep her please mate, tucked away for another day.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Look at it, all the hard work. Think back to all you have done to get it how you want, you will get the itch again and all that will need to be redone if you break or sell it. Also as time goes by it is not going to get any easier to source good cars and parts. I think you would be crazy to make that decision now, obviously your prioritiies are with the family at the moment but just take a while till things calm down a little. Fling a cover over it till the urge returns.

Post Thanks / Like

Leave it, unless times get dire and you find your self like me unable to pay the mortgage one month due to health, then needs must. But all the time it's sat not costing to look at, see it as your reward on a day that the kids have been horrid you can escape to enjoy it. Even if you sit inside it just to get that smell of old Renault and petrol and drink a tea. It will keep you happy and positive.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your comments and vote of confidence. As I said, I most definitely will not be rushing into any decisions and will try and get the time to plod on with her. The only way I see it is if its sat there untouched its a massive waste when somebody else with the time could be enjoying it.

I need to have a chat with the Mrs nan and see what her thoughts are on the car being in her garage longer as it was only supposed to be a short term thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Bud you know my deal with my daughter. Close the door leave it shut think of family the car will always be there and when things calm down.. Get back toit. Even the way things are in my life I need that bit of man time with the motor and it's cheaper than a shrink. it's hard at first then a breeze once your broke into fatherhood.. It dose get easier honest.

Post Thanks / Like

To be honest Paul that does make alot of sense. I do/ will need theboccasional escape. Right, im off to buy flowers for my Mrs nan...

Post Thanks / Like

This project has come such a long way mate, some excellent progress, its not gonna cost you with it sitting there for a bit while you adjust to life with a baby. When I had my little girl nearly 5 years ago now some of my mates said 'you'll have to get rid of all your performance cars' anyways I hung onto them, if anything having less time has made me even more determined to make time when possible to fix, tinker and drive the 5 and wouldnt change it for the world.

Post Thanks / Like

well....

I have updates! small updates but updates non the less.

pretty much finished the wiring now, few more things to add but the main is done with.
    Will let the pictures do the talking..

Painted my campus grill and lights..

The wiring mid wrap, was all tidied up and wrapped in tape in certain places for protection.

Dash in..

and a few randoms,

Then i set about cleaning my carpet.

before..

After

And a few more randoms,

Thanks for looking!

Post Thanks / Like

Lovin' the project. I have a love/hate relationships with electrics. Can be very frustrating finding faults, but it's very rewarding when it all comes good.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the kind comment. Yes, the wiring in these things originally is abit of a nightmare to get your head round and that is why i have re done mine. i have alot more cables in it now but every circuit is simplified and if the fuse for my stereo goes i wont loose my headlights

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

good work jamie. I would love to have a look at this beast in the flesh. Hope you and the family are all good

Post Thanks / Like

Great work mate, has made some excellent progress in the last few weeks since lil'un arrived, looking forward to the next update!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cracking build thread,can't wait to see it finished.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

lovin this! top marks chap .looks the dogs danglys

Post Thanks / Like

Chaps, In between washing bottles, changing nappies and being the proudest dad in the world.. I have managed a few hours on the 5. Can see a flickering candle at the end of the tunnel now...

Started off stripping the paint on my roll cage ready for repaint, that is 8 hours of my life i will never get back

Not sure if i mentioned this previously but because of my refusal to get my sunroof out and plate the hole up the cage did not fit, I have had to chop a small amount off the bottom of the cage and weld some new, thicker mounting plates and also a little bit of brute force to get it how i want.

The thicker plates i am using..

mid paint strip

All painted in the very "airy" spray booth

And in with some fresh OMP stickers..

I still have not bolted it in yet but at least i was able to fit my seats..

And thats about it, i have now fitted my rear brakes, just need to finish off the plumbing. hoping tomorrow to get my campus filler neck on and maybe a few other small jobs.

Did use my company phone that has a slightly better camera to get some randoms as most of the pics on this thread are terrible

Thanks for looking

Post Thanks / Like

Not too far to go now

Post Thanks / Like

Bodywork next to get it ready for paint. The bit im going to struggle with

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent work you have been doing, a very inspiring project...... and you are almost there

Hats off to you for the rewire - I cant imagine many people wanting to take that on

Do you happen to know the dimensions of your cooler? Looks a good balance between big and not having to chop all of the cross member out

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the kind words. I think a rewire is the only way to go on these. I admit i know have a lot more wiring than standard, but if my interior light fuse blows i don't loose my fog light or something soft. It has been wired for function and ease of use really.

Cooler is 550x230x65mm But please note, because of the way i have cut the cross member my bumper does NOT fit without cutting a hole out.

Thanks.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

A great thread mate. Very handy for my project.

Post Thanks / Like

Could do with an update.