Post Thanks / Like

front springs for renault 5 gt

Ok I currently have coilovers and hate how stiff they are on the road. So I was thinking about going back to a lowered standard shock setup. Now I have the heavier engine in the front in the form of the f7p. So if I had a 50mm drop are there any other springs that would fit off say a mk1 clio which would be for the heavier engine.

Also on a side note do clio mk1 front and rear shocks fit on a renault 5. If that's the case I can just get a set designed for the clio with the right spring rates.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: front springs for renault 5 gt

I have a set of apex ones if ur intrested mate and koni rear shocks for the back just thought I'd give it a mention

Post Thanks / Like

With a heavier engine sat in the front, I'd say the best thing to fit is equipment that will give you as much flexibility on the set-up as possible, so that you can adjust it to find the best compromise.

Height adjustable coilovers, a couple of sets of springs (maybe 250 and 300lb), with shocks that are both bump and rebound adjustable and some adjustable top mounts would do it.

Of course you could just swap the springs out for £50 The thing is, it might not be the spring height that is the problem, it could be the poundage, or both.

Post Thanks / Like

Just took front shocks off today and they have been bottoming out due to the springs not being firm enough. The springs are 225 lbs and I didn't realise with the bigger wheels the drop would effectively be more to make the wheels sit right in the arches D'oh. So I have spoken to gaz who are going to Refurb my current shocks next week and I'm going for a lot firmer spring. Think I'm going to try a 350-400 lbs spring as there is very little shock left showing when under load should hopefully stop the ride being on the bump stops all the time

Bubblebagmagic thanks for the offer but I will try this first to see how it works. If it fails to impress I will be looking into an air suspension set up. Just been reading on the new kits and they sound really good. You can change the height and firmness from inside the car at a flick of a few switches. So on the road lift it a little and make it softer for long journeys and once at a race track change it to firm and have a stiffer ride. Same as a modern coilover with out the need to keep swapping springs out. I have found a Clio setup for the mk1 Clio hence the question of fitment for a Clio.