Post Thanks / Like

whos good with job application questions Rolls Royce/Engineering .

ok guys.. not the first time ive posted somthing like this.. its very hard for me to get accepted on any kind of apprenticeship because they get no gov funding and they cant get away with paying me peanuts.. but.. i will try once again..

thoughts to these

12. Explain why you would like to undertake an apprenticeship at Rolls Royce.

12. Explain why you would like to undertake an Apprenticeship in Engineering at Rolls-Royce. (Maximum 300 words
    13. Please tell us something about your hobbies, interests or commitments, including membership of clubs and positions of responsibility which you feel demonstrate skills that are relevant to the scheme you are applying for. (Maximum 300 words)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: whos good with job application questions Rolls Royce/Engineering .

Hi mate. IIRC, ast time you posted this kind of thread, it turned out you (and your mate who's a publicist), had the answers covered brilliantly already!

Post Thanks / Like

thought so too trev but to no success .
    fortunately with the help of google i think ive managed to find what RR are looking for.. annoyingly a lot of it is twoddle to do with buzz words such as continuos improvement etc to get it past there electronic filtering system. Never in my life did i think i would be in a position where by im struggling to better myself this much..
    eughh My advice to kids is to be 100% sure on what you want to be/do at the age of 16/18.. because once your older the government dont offer any help at all... unless you get sacked.. or quit your job... or get caught drug running and sent to jail... then you get plenty of help and free courses

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by djinuk View Post
    thought so too trev but to no success .
    fortunately with the help of google i think ive managed to find what RR are looking for.. annoyingly a lot of it is twoddle to do with buzz words such as continuos improvement etc to get it past there electronic filtering system. Never in my life did i think i would be in a position where by im struggling to better myself this much..
    eughh My advice to kids is to be 100% sure on what you want to be/do at the age of 16/18.. because once your older the government dont offer any help at all... unless you get sacked.. or quit your job... or get caught drug running and sent to jail... then you get plenty of help and free courses

Damian, I am in a similair situation in that I need a career change be it I am slightly older than yourself (35) I have been in my current industry for almost 14 years now and I really can't bare it any longer. I have been trying to get into the motor industry for the last few months but due to my lack of educational qualification in the field I have not been very successful. I have attempted to register for courses and even spoken to the college's but due to the part time courses time's and not being in job placement I am unable to todo these courses due to financials in that I need to support my family and to do these courses I literally need to be unemployed which is not an option. For me I need that rare oppertunity of a friend or someone that friend knows to let me in give me a decent pay and train me in the field properly

Post Thanks / Like

My mate just got an engineering apprenticeship with a Danish firm in Derby, I forget the name. Anyway, he is 38. It's possible to do.

There are no guarantees in life and you can't predict the future. Add that to the fact most kids don't know who they are at 16-18yrs old and I think you have a situation where it's impossible for them to know if they've made the right decision until after the fact. So don't be too hard on yourself if you feel you haven't made the right decisions in the past in this respect.

As for this RR application, it looks like you've nailed it again without help

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly the same situation as me there james. Its reassuring to know im not the only one in this situation. I know i could squeeze my current company i work for to put me through a HNC in construction as a night course for 2 years which would get me more £££ and better job opportunites , but to be honest construction bores me to tears and i have no passion for it.

Cheers trev fingers crossed.. again..

Post Thanks / Like

Your definitely not alone. I was in a similar situation, unsuccessful in applying for various engineering apprenticeships over 3 years. Keep at it and you will hopefully get your chance. But then again, apprenticeship schemes are not the be all and end all. If you want it bad enough then you can do anything you want.

I was 24 when I took the plunge, quit my stable job and went to study full time. Was extremely daunting losing the income considering I had a flat and car to pay for, but working 2 part time jobs and with the student loan/bursary I actually had more disposable income than when employed!
    A few years of hard work and I had an hnd in electrical and mechanical engineering. for the first year I was struggling to gain a job within the sector but I was fortunate enough to get a service/maintenance tech job with the NHS. I was in this role for 12 months before being promoted to a trainee clinical technologist position with better salary progression with lots of in house training, and even putting me through more degree modules in medical engineering.

Taking the first step into the unknown is the hardest part, but once your out your comfort zone and doing something your passionate about you will never look back!

Best of luck

Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

I currently work at Rolls Royce. If i can help in anyway message me. There is a agency company that RR use, its a good way to get your foot in the door... thats what i did now i have been there 5yrs and doing alright.

Post Thanks / Like

I can identify with what you are saying regards the help towards bettering yourself. I left School at 16, did 1 year at college then left to join the army. I was in the army for three years, came out and have just jumped from job to job, some I have liked some I haven't.

I sooooo wish I had taken advantage of all the help that was on offer when I was at school. I look back at some of the decisions I made and feel like giving myself a slap.

8 years ago I decided to make a change and train to be a driving instructor, I have been self employed for the last 6 years. It's been hard at times, and since my twins were born it's been just about possible to keep the driving school running. For the last three years my yearly takings have been under 7k per year.(that basically means I earn about £20 per week) Having to work part time due to lack of childcare was the main issue.

My twins last week started nursery and this suddenly opened up some time to spare during the week. At 32 with two kids and an earning capacity of an 18 year old it was time to make a change. So I enrolled my self on a Motorsports Engineering and technologies degree. Who knows where this will take me but all I can say is, since starting the course even with doing 4 15 hour days a week plus one 7 hour day (I'm still teaching people to drive) and trying to balance a family/business and a degree. I feel like my life is finally progressing. It's a 5 year degree with a years work placement and a supercool final year where we will be entering Formula Student with our own car.

Ridiculous debt tho and so much harder to do after being out of education for 15 years +.
    Would have been so much easier if I was young free and single and still living at home.

I'm lucky in the fact my Mrs is supporting me 100% and she earns enough to keep us afloat.

Anyway, the point is it's never to late to better yourself and just for prosperity here's a quote that I think suits this situation.

"Success is the ability to move from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"

From Sir Winston Churchill.

Keep trying and don't take no for an answer.

Post Thanks / Like

While the stories for everyone help with the confidence, you need to ask yourself what does the employer want?

An apprenticeship is a company making an investment in someone. They want to know that the person they are investing in will provide a return in that investment.

Does the candidate have the aptitude to succeed? (any current mechanical quals or experience, like I don't have any formal quals, but I rebuilt my car from the ground up...)

Is he going to stick around once he finishes the apprenticeship? (I have always aspired to work for a company that has such a well respected reputation in the engineering industry....)

Is he responsible? I was the manager of the local pie shop or I used to run the local car club or I was in the Army and achieved the rank of "blah" which meant I was responsible for X amount of people and the daily.....

Most people that fail to get through to the next stage of the application process have the right skills, but are unable to convey that in either their CV or the initial interview.

I'm not an expert by any means, but if I was looking to employ someone, they'd be some if the questions I would like to be answered!

Post Thanks / Like

These are the sorts of answers im giving to the questions.

'
    limited to 300 words per answer

question one.. - why do you want an apprenticeship at rolls
    Understanding and discovering how mechanical products work has always been a huge interest of mine from a young age. As a child i spent years building with Mechano and Lego, as I grew up I began taking apart, building and repairing other items around the house including pcs, remote control cars and now full sized cars. My interest in science, particularly physics has developed throughout my life and I enjoy the challenge of using scientific and mathematical ideas to solve everyday problems. I now wish to steer my career toward my passion for engineering . Rolls Royce inspires me as a company that is driving the future in so many different areas as well as there commitment to continuous improvement. Having watched the article on the Rolls Royce Trent engine story some years ago ive been interested in the manufacturing process's involved in executing projects flawlessly and safely. For these reasons I would love to be a part of the Rolls Royce apprenticeship program and develop myself into their team of the industry experts.'

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe request to be placed a safe distance away from the radioactive material