East Midlands Area Rep Kingscott's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh my god, what's happened? help.....

Hi all.

I've had a disaster in the renault...... I have a few ideas what's happened but I wanted to see if anyone had some other ideas or advice please.

Today at About 70 mph (ish) at chat, I was greeted by a huge sudden mechanical bang clanging noise, sounding like a bag of spanners and a dragging noise.

Instantly I dropped the clutch and came to a standstill with the engine still running, the noise continued and just comes from the depths of the bay.

On visual inspection noting looks wrong, I managed to crawl home about 1/4 mile at walking pace with the noise still clanging and banging. Nothing dragging on the floor.

On the driveway, I pushed the car in neutral no noise. Started the engine in neutral and revved up, no noise. Clutch feels good, gearbox feels good. I still have drive.

On moving the car I get a sudden resistance followed with a bang or clunk, sounds terrible and jolts the car.

I'm thinking driveshaft cv joint? Or clutch or gearbox.

Anyone any ideas or pointers, tests I can do before i start ripping her to bits......AGAIN!

Cheers all.

Adam

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Oh my god, what's happened? help.....

Quote Originally Posted by Kingscott View Post
    Hi all.

I've had a disaster in the renault...... I have a few ideas what's happened but I wanted to see if anyone had some other ideas or advice please.

Today at About 70 mph (ish) at chat, I was greeted by a huge sudden mechanical bang clanging noise, sounding like a bag of spanners and a dragging noise.

Instantly I dropped the clutch and came to a standstill with the engine still running, the noise continued and just comes from the depths of the bay.

On visual inspection noting looks wrong, I managed to crawl home about 1/4 mile at walking pace with the noise still clanging and banging. Nothing dragging on the floor.

On the driveway, I pushed the car in neutral no noise. Started the engine in neutral and revved up, no noise. Clutch feels good, gearbox feels good. I still have drive.

On moving the car I get a sudden resistance followed with a bang or clunk, sounds terrible and jolts the car.

I'm thinking driveshaft cv joint? Or clutch or gearbox.

Anyone any ideas or pointers, tests I can do before i start ripping her to bits......AGAIN!

Cheers all.

Adam

Morning Adam, what a nice start to the week for you, sounds like your looking in the right area's. No noise when clutch pedal pressed and revving the engine and no sounds from engine eliminates the engine. But the clunks and bangs when clutch engaged sounds like transmission / drivetrain related. If it was me I would be getting the car up on some axle stands and getting underneath and see what's what, pry bar and see if movement, it may be more obvious when your under car as to what problem is. May be worth getting the Miss's or even a mate to come around start the car when up in air (be careful going underneath as you don;t want to get hit by anything to see what side noise is and see if its obvious as to what need replacing. Thoughts are driveshaft failure

Got a spare box if you need for free it has possible first gear issuem but I think the issue was more gear stick selector rod

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting, if not alarming!

Could it also be a broken wheel bearing?

Post Thanks / Like

Had a similar fault occur on my ph1, drivers inner cv popped, would drive at snail pace with no load but put any load on engine and it would bang loudly followed with car jumping violently. Changed drive shaft and all was well.
    Hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like

I've had the pass side short shaft out today, no issues found. Started it up with it out and oh my god, smash bang crunch......I'm getting the car to my parents Wednesday to have a good look. For now it's broken down outside my house under a car cover.

Thanks for the kind offer of the gearbox, but I have a spare waiting. Cheers

Never rains.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thundercat View Post
    Had a similar fault occur on my ph1, drivers inner cv popped, would drive at snail pace with no load but put any load on engine and it would bang loudly followed with car jumping violently. Changed drive shaft and all was well.
    Hope this helps
    I will slip the other shaft out and take a look

Post Thanks / Like

I think the diffs exploded.

Post Thanks / Like

i had a sililar thing happen to me it was the box...sounded like a metal on metal scraping sound. had to drive back from york on the a59 to blackburn in 4th gear. made it all the way without stopping, luckily it was a sunday. hope you get it sorted.

Post Thanks / Like

Update.

Turns out it's the gearbox.

I've decided to fit a recon rather than an "unknown" unit. I suppose it's not done that bad after 119 thousand miles and most of that with 200 bhp up its ars€

Car is once again in bits waiting for a gearbox from CGB, also fitting heavy duty mounts whilst the cars in bits.

Why do I bother

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Was the gear over pushing back in fifth before it blew?

I'd be interested to see if the nut is still on the end of the fifth gear fork. You have to whip the cover off the end (3 nuts) to have a look.

Post Thanks / Like

Why do I bother
    Cause when they are working, especially at 200bhp, there's nothing like it for fun at the price!

Keep at it mate

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_S View Post
    Was the gear over pushing back in fifth before it blew?

I'd be interested to see if the nut is still on the end of the fifth gear fork. You have to whip the cover off the end (3 nuts) to have a look.

No gear selection was fine, still is fine, if anything 2nd gear was far back but it's always been like that. End cover was removed and all looks intact. If you spin the input shaft you get a clunk every revolution or so. Comes from the front right area of the box.

I will be splitting the box just for interest soon, as I've never understood exactly how they work. I will see then what's happened.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post
    Cause when they are working, especially at 200bhp, there's nothing like it for fun at the price!

Keep at it mate

I've been at her for 15 years, don't think I'll ever give up

It's a major sill replacement job this winter, more fun.....but I think I'll be contracting it out.

Also going for some traditional period Renault ELF graphics (yellow black white).

Post Thanks / Like

No gear selection was fine, still is fine, if anything 2nd gear was far back but it's always been like that. End cover was removed and all looks intact. If you spin the input shaft you get a clunk every revolution or so. Comes from the front right area of the box.

I will be splitting the box just for interest soon, as I've never understood exactly how they work. I will see then what's happened.

Had small iron fillings in the diff section, nothing major from the dropped oil.