Post Thanks / Like

Intake hoses ?

Hi lads brought some air intake hoses off the net..and I've hit a snag. Just before the inlet to the lobster neck..there's a hose that connects to the induction hose It seems to run back to the fire wall into a metal valve thing? Poss perc fan connection ?
    My new hoses don't have this connection and I don't really want to butcher them..also the hose on intercooler has a sensor on it and my flashey new one doesn't..
    I've seen afew engine bays on here and these connections have been ignored ? Or missing
    Is there anything I can use or buy to connect to these?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Intake hoses ?

the metal valve thingy is a solenoid valve that opens when the perc fan is running and blows colder air in. so can be removed just might take a few turns more when hot.

as for the other sensor if it is over near to the expansion tank this is the overboost sensor. so depending on how your car is set up you will know if you use it or not.

as for putting this back in you could get a adaptor kit which allows you to add sensors back to the pipe work. you use to find them on ebay it looks like 2 washers that screw together and the sensor then screws into that. just don't get a cheap one.

East Midlands Area Rep Kingscott's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi

I don't run perc or over boost so if you want to sell them depending on colour and condition let me know.

Cheers

Adam

East Midlands Area Rep Kingscott's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't remove the perc fan system unless your really using it for mega fast road or competition. However if you get the itch to remove it, keep the standard bits in a box and tuck away for the future.....trust me.

Post Thanks / Like

I've always removed my perc fans (and my Ph1 didn't have one). It was never a problem.

The overboost isn't needed either as you know immediately when you're over-boosting and just come of the accelerator.

Hence why your new hoses don't come with either of these connections, as it's a common thing to do away with both of these things.

You can even use the overboost wiring as a nice immobiliser if you run a switch inside the car.

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers for the replies lads..I've replaced my hoses today and I've done away with the boost solenoid and just taped up the connections..Ive fitted a small breather filter on the perc fan hose and run it down behind the carb and secured it in place.
    I'm going to see how it goes but if I have any problems I'll go back to the original setup.
    My cars running 15psi boost and fuelling bang on had it on the rollers and she's pulling 130bhp @wheels.
    I would have liked alittle more but I've got
    2"straight through exhaust
    Double capacity intercooler
    K&n filter element
    But I've been told my actuators weak?
    Would a cam n updated turbo t25 make a difference?

Post Thanks / Like

Like the idea of the immobiliser though

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sie5gtturbo View Post
    Cheers for the replies lads..I've replaced my hoses today and I've done away with the boost solenoid and just taped up the connections..Ive fitted a small breather filter on the perc fan hose and run it down behind the carb and secured it in place.
    I'm going to see how it goes but if I have any problems I'll go back to the original setup.
    My cars running 15psi boost and fuelling bang on had it on the rollers and she's pulling 130bhp @wheels.
    I would have liked alittle more but I've got
    2"straight through exhaust
    Double capacity intercooler
    K&n filter element
    But I've been told my actuators weak?
    Would a cam n updated turbo t25 make a difference?
    My car made the exact same figure with the same mods but was fitted with an uprated actuator.If I was you I would put a 2.5" exhaust on,t25 and bigger intercooler and you should be fair going for under £1000

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LukeRobbo View Post
    My car made the exact same figure with the same mods but was fitted with an uprated actuator.If I was you I would put a 2.5" exhaust on,t25 and bigger intercooler and you should be fair going for under £1000
    Defo going to look into a t25 upgrade next year mate. Possible fast road cam..yeah mite change the exhaust aswell... I was expecting 140bhp haha back to the drawing board ha !
    But to be fair it pulls very well sounds sweet like a scooby! .. But we always want more don't we

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah mine went ok and made decent torque but I got smoked by an x type jag driven by an old man and scored a liner in the process so when mines back I want to be beating corsa vxr's because I hate them and 99% of vauxhall owners.If I don't achieve that on standard internals I will call it a day.My mates 5 was190bhp on a t25,high lift cam,tubular exhaust manifold,methanol injection,alloy standard size intercooler which is pretty amazing and if felt wicked.He then put a bigger turbo on and cracked a liner.Maybe going for a more modern turbo would be a better move than the old t25.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's mine making 130bhp with a knackered exhaust a few years back.Also your figure won't be at the wheels its an estimated flywheel figure on most rollers.I tested mine on another rolling road and the weather wasn't as cold so I only made 125bhp :--).Most phase 2's make 115bhp standard on the rollers and 140bhp on a t25 with low boost and no other mods

http://youtu.be/HdlcZHEKJjU

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah mine went ok and made decent torque but I got smoked by an x type jag driven by an old man and scored a liner in the process so when mines back I want to be beating corsa vxr's because I hate them and 99% of vauxhall owners.If I don't achieve that on standard internals I will call it a day.My mates 5 was190bhp on a t25,high lift cam,tubular exhaust manifold,methanol injection,alloy standard size intercooler which is pretty amazing and if felt wicked.He then put a bigger turbo on and cracked a liner.Maybe going for a more modern turbo would be a better move than the old t25.
    Well i also own a vaux mk2 gte16v haha not keen on vxr either mate ha yeah I'm going to look into it,,I think with these r5s the more power you want shortens the life of your car ha I've been looking at the bhp figures per tonne and maybe I'm getting carried away ha dreaming ha

Post Thanks / Like

I agree everyone that says their r5 is quick and reliable Is probably on crack,running standard set up and driving like a granny or is an mechanical genious.

I don't mind the old gte with the digital dashes but in general I hate vauxhall.Theirs a gte near me that's beensitting under a bridge for 10years plus outside a caravan park I bet its a minter if the dust was blasted off.Will try and get a picture for you.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree everyone that says their r5 is quick and reliable Is probably on crack,running standard set up and driving like a granny or is an mechanical genious.

I don't mind the old gte with the digital dashes but in general I hate vauxhall.Theirs a gte near me that's beensitting under a bridge for 10years plus outside a caravan park I bet its a minter if the dust was blasted off.Will try and get a picture for you.
    Ha your bang on there mate,,I'm coming to the conclusion that if it ain't broke down mess with it ha..to be fair I've heard all the horror story's about 5s but my ruff little turbo runs sweet mate..but hot start probs n intermittent central locking keeps me on my toes ha I suppose it ads to the joy of owning one haha mental aynt we ha.

Defo send a pic of that Gte I've been into them for years but fancied a change and a challenge haha and to be fair I wish I'd have had a 5 years ago..it gives me the grin factor on full boost n the dump valve scaring the local oaps haha I'm 33 goin on 18

Post Thanks / Like

if you follow the tips of the mechanical genious that are on here you wont go far wrong in having a very fast 5 that will not go pop every 2 mins . its all about knowing how far you can go with the set up on the car. do things right and you wont go wrong.

good thing to start with is a AFR gauge. I have found (when I had the carb) as long as you keep the afr's ok and adjust to suit when running more boost all will be well. it dose get a oil change every 2500 miles though aswell.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by royz View Post
    if you follow the tips of the mechanical genious that are on here you wont go far wrong in having a very fast 5 that will not go pop every 2 mins . its all about knowing how far you can go with the set up on the car. do things right and you wont go wrong.

good thing to start with is a AFR gauge. I have found (when I had the carb) as long as you keep the afr's ok and adjust to suit when running more boost all will be well. it dose get a oil change every 2500 miles though aswell.
    To be fair mate any quicker and I'll end up with a ban ha..I've heard a few people on here mention AFR gauges and I'm going to look in to it just to be safe..it's just that I had heard 150bhp is easy to achieve with a 5 and to be honest a car the weighs 831 kg it's going to fly..
    When the turbo goes ill upgrade to a hydrid or t25. Also like the idea of a fast road cam n swap my exhaust.

What grade oil you lads using Im running 5w 30 semi synthetic

Post Thanks / Like

know that feeling about a ban got mine mapped last week after fitting a cam. talk about flying need to get another set of eyes for lookouts.

but get the gauge as soon as you can and have a look around on here about AFR's. keep them in check and all will be well.