Post Thanks / Like

cam timing.

Im getting confused with the cam timing.Its the dwell of the peak lift thats got me a bit stumped.Theres a 5 degree dwell at peak lift.Initial peak lift is at 100 and starts to drop at 105.Can i turn the crank to 102.5 which should be true peak lift and then loosen the vernier and turn the crank to 110 which is what i want it timed up at?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: cam timing.

Measure from let's say 90 to 110 and use the middle value

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tutuur View Post
    Measure from let's say 90 to 110 and use the middle value
    Am i using the right method though?I can get my head round it by setting it to 110 and then turning the cam to peak lift but that wouldnt be true peak lift because of the dwell.

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by casper View Post
    Im getting confused with the cam timing.Its the dwell of the peak lift thats got me a bit stumped.Theres a 5 degree dwell at peak lift.Initial peak lift is at 100 and starts to drop at 105.Can i turn the crank to 102.5 which should be true peak lift and then loosen the vernier and turn the crank to 110 which is what i want it timed up at?
    That sounds logically correct to me. I've not got a vernier (didn't need one) but 102.5 is the mean of the 2, so I think moving it to that position then altering the vernier to 110 is what I would do. I'd say measure it 3 times once you've done it to be sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    That sounds logically correct to me. I've not got a vernier (didn't need one) but 102.5 is the mean of the 2, so I think moving it to that position then altering the vernier to 110 is what I would do. I'd say measure it 3 times once you've done it to be sure.
    Sorted.Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Right guys im confused and not sure if this is correct.When finding tdc using a dti on piston 1 im getting two readings which alternate on the dti.So just as a guide lets say on the first rotation the piston comes up to 6.1 and then drops now on the second rotation it comes up to 6.5 and then drops and then back to 6.1 and so on.Shoudnt tdc be the same?