Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Gear box oil

Hi guys took engine out my 5 and when I took off the drive shaft gear box oil went every where so I now need to fill it back up, I found out it takes 3.4 litres but where do I fill it up from is it the threw where you check the level and is there a easy way as seems like it will be hard if it is threw that little hole hope some 1 can help thanks a lot

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gear box oil

just done mine.plug/ nut below clutch arm.i did it with no rad/intercooler in. I used some spare hose. 1meter or so, just big enuf to slide into hole..put small funnel in top of hose and filled with 3.5litres. just kept takin pipe out until oil trickled out.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

What oil did you use? Make etc.

I've seen different grades listed.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

75/90 I think..il check in morning. I got from Renault.......tranself nfj 18x1 part no.. 7711433525, there was 4 bottles £40 at trade. I only used it as an ex reno service man said stick to reno oil

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yh I used 75/90 oil as well along with a long hose and small funnel took a long time and gear box oil every where but done now so all good for another 30,000

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webber View Post
    Yh I used 75/90 oil as well along with a long hose and small funnel took a long time and gear box oil every where but done now so all good for another 30,000
    Had to drop the 100mile old oil from mine to tighten up fifth gear...

I topped it up with some 75/90 I found in the garage but then realised it's fully synth, so I'm gonna drop it today and refill with some proper spec stuff. I've read 75/90S in the Haynes manual. I've not heard of it before though? Is it easy to come by or really will just plain old 75/90 do?

Cheers btw lads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by evogill View Post
    I used some spare hose. 1meter or so, just big enuf to slide into hole..put small funnel in top of hose and filled with 3.5litres. just kept takin pipe out until oil trickled out.
    Good tip there with the old hose. I didnt think of that. Will try that when i change mine at the w/end. Cheers.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

the stuff I used from Renault was elf. 75/85 think. wasn't 75/90....make sure u push pipe threw hole 1/2 ins so dosnt drip

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

75/80 elf stuff