Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Gear box oil

Hi guys took engine out my 5 and when I took off the drive shaft gear box oil went every where so I now need to fill it back up, I found out it takes 3.4 litres but where do I fill it up from is it the threw where you check the level and is there a easy way as seems like it will be hard if it is threw that little hole hope some 1 can help thanks a lot

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gear box oil

I use a funnel with a long hose on the end and fill up from above the box. It goes in through the filler cap on the front facing part of the box. If it's a phase 1 box it will have a large nut or phase two a plastic twist off cap.

If the engine bay is complete, you will need to remove the intercooler and boost hoses, unless you already have a different pipe run that doesn't get in the way.

I just make sure the car is on level ground and fill up till it reaches the filler cap.

75-90w gear oil if I remember correctly.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow brilliant bit of info cheers mate, so literally I gotta fill it up till I see it nearly comeing out the hole where the plastic screw top goes on as its a phase 2

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty much, just try the 3.4 liters and see how far off the filler cap it is, I think the plastic cap has a level indicator on the back of it. Again it's been a few years since I messed with my box so this is testing the old grey matter.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Lol no worries u been a great help thanks alot