Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Engine bay - is everything where it should be?

Only had time for some photos today so will check the carb jet another time.

East Midlands Area Rep Kingscott's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The Tee you have pictured. The pipe that is missing would normally go to the turbo inlet induction "telephone" hose. located on the inlet to the turbo (you will see a hole the size of a 1p) However its quite common just to fit a little breather filter insted of recircing all the oil vapour back into the turbo.

Again I may be wrong but looking at the picture, you have both turbo water pipes missing. if you follow the large water hose from the bottom of the rad, back up to the pump you will see a port that points to the right, currently it looks like you have this plumbed back into the water pump (top back) effectively this is blacking out the entire inlet manifiold and turbo water circuits. This should go to the turbo top, and return back to the carb base front port.

Hope this makes sense!

If I have made any mistakes I appologise in advance.

check this link on this thread for a very simple water system picture.

https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=13
    Last edited by Kingscott; 19-09-2014 at 03:54.

Post Thanks / Like

Good shouts

Just for info, the coolant circuit around the inlet and carb body is not essential, i.e. you could run it that way if you wanted to.

Committee, Treasurer, Memberships admin Ian S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

But not bypassing the remaining two cooling circuits with the short pipe. That will defeat the radiator and heater matrix and possibly / probably overheat the engine as it doesn't take much cooling impairment for that outcome anyway.

Blocking the two end would work.
    But the turbo probably does benefit from the cooling water to help prevent the oil burning onto the bearing and bearing case and then the turbo stops turning. That happening to my original turbo, even with the water cooling.

East Midlands Area Rep Kingscott's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Also the small red silicone section would have fed a dump valve at some point. I see you have it blanked anyway so no worries in that department.

I strongly recommend fitting the carb overflow pipe, I had an engine bay fire once due to a faulty carb and no overflow. Had to use lucasade to put it out.......stinky!