Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

air box

Hi Guys, has anyone got a photo of the thermostat that's inside the air box

Post Thanks / Like

Re: air box

It's a rubbish picture but you can get the jist if you search on Google images for 'Renault 5 GT Turbo air box', there is an old ebay auction picture second from the right on the top row that shows the thermostat and spring/flap gubbins.

I can't post the image itself because it doesn't exist on Ebay any more as it's an old auction and so the google image is effectively a thumbnail that you can't copy.

Edit. Here I copied the thumbnail to MS Paint and uploaded it to Photobucket for you:

You can remove all that crap and glue/screw the flap open.

Post Thanks / Like

Or speak to Matty on here, he has literally just taken his OE airbox to bits to clean it up. Unlucky actually that there's no pic of the stat:
    https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=38021

Post Thanks / Like

funny enough i was waiting for the answer too. mine has the flap which i can get a pic of, but has nothing else to control the flap? there's a place for a spring to hook on to the spindle, but i could work out what else is going on?

Post Thanks / Like

Yours has all the stat mechanism removed then Matty.

Is your flap movable or is it set in a certain position with glue/screw etc?

If it's movable, without the stat gubbins fitted, it will fall flat, i.e. shut, and your intercooler will not be doing anything as the air will be coming in the inlet and going straight to the outlet.

If it's set and set flat, it's as above (your intercooler will not be doing anything).

If it's set at an angle, i.e. open, with glue/screw etc, then all is good as it's forcing the air round the cooler's core.

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't the flap just to divert air from the warm air feed to cold, once the engine has warmed up? Like it is with no stat, wouldn't it just draw wan and cold air? Obviously not ideal though.

I remember my old 5 intercooler had a stat in that, which I removed and sealed off both halfs as like you say the air just goes in and straight back out without passing through the cores.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't remember exactly how the mechanism works in terms of the hot and cold air feeds in conjunction with the thermostat. There are two flaps though IIRC. The one in the intercooler top housing that I describe above and one in the air box's plastic top, that chooses the hot or cold feeds (and is connected somehow to the stat).

The best set-up is to remove all the gubbins from inside the air box, seal the intercooler flap open and then pull out the flap in the air box top and run a second cold feed to the hot air feed inlet (or block it off). And then fit a K&N filter.

Post Thanks / Like

Matty, I just this morning realised that I got myself totally confused, lol. Why the heck did I start talking about wedging the intercooler flap open when this thread is about the bloody airbox? What a pillock

What I've said above is correct but who knows why I confused the situation by including the cooler.

So to be clear about the airbox for Charlie's sake (and assuming he wants to mod it):

- remove airbox stat/gubbins
    - remove flap in plastic airbox top
    - remove the weird OE hot air feed piping (as pictured)
    - remove/mod/block the narrow hot air feed inlet
    - if you're leaving the hot air feed open, pipe a new cold air feed to it from somewhere advantageous
    - fit K&N filter
    - enjoy the improvement

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Guys, thanks for all the replies. my engine bay is std and my question really was do I need the internals, I got the internals off a guy but I couldn't figger out how they fit in, possibly it isn't the right one. The gobbins are all out of mine and I was going to put them in but after reading your replies Ill not bother. I just need to jam the flap to close off the hot air pipe as I don't want to add any more pipes.

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking sourcing some internals for mine and putting it all back in. Lol

Post Thanks / Like

There's a deal there to be done somewhere

'Gubbins' - miscellaneous items; paraphernalia