Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Genuine Minilite fitment

I've got a set of Minilites for this race car I'm building up and after a 10 week wait for them, they came with a 61mm centre-bore!

They came with centre caps (which I can't use for hill climb) and these are meant to fit hub spigot 1st before wheel fits over them. The internal diameter of them is 58.8mm and there is no way they'll fit anyway.

Question is, how safe do you think 61mm centres are on 60.1mm spigots? Spec for racing is for hub-centric wheels, but these things are going to need the thinnest of thin spacers for that to happen. Like beer-can material or something 0.5mm thick?

I've just had a can of Guinness, hoping that I might fudge a fix tomorrow before the weekends boosting.

East Midlands Area Rep Mr Raider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Genuine Minilite fitment

Thats a shame the wheels werent 60.1mm centre when made, spigots will be thin however at least if theres something in the gap there should be no movement at all.

Probably need spigots made of a sturdy material so they dont fall to pieces in minutes

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Minilite (KN) are really struggling. 10wks and they end up wrongly machined.

Anyway, if the beer can idea doesn't work, they can be machined out and fit nylon spigot rings to 60.1mm. Cheers.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Finally, they don't fit. Foul the caliper.
    R&R Alloys are useless and Minilite (KN) even worse.
    If they don't do a refund, they'll fit the Golf.

Post Thanks / Like

You really want something more substantial than 0.5mm shim in there. Something that thin has no rigidity, so it would be difficult to get a decent fit on both mating faces, and not do its job to locate the wheel. I would want at least 2-3mm wall thickness for something that is load bearing or providing a location on a wheel, especially for racing.

Depending on what material the spigots are, you could either get the spigots hard chromed and reground to 61mm to suit the wheels, or bore the wheels out, and machine up some sleeves and press them in.

Got any pictures?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm having more issues with these things. Will update with pics if I get a reply from the suppliers. Basically, they just don't bloody fit.