Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Engine Build & What turbo?

Hola Gentlemen & Possible Ladies

Im planning to rebuild my C1J.

My question is;

How much power do i go for? Im not a figures kinda guy,
    i just want a quick, fun and not have crazy amounts of lag, Oh and "reasonably" reliable

I don't want EFI, and want to stay carb.

So what would be a adequate turbo? to use? Hybrid t2 or t25?

Secondly,
    Is it worth while getting a tubular exhaust manifold? Or is the standard good enough?

Thirdly,
    The engine build itself, is "standard" stuff good enough?
    Eg standard liners, pistons, rods & rod bolts? Or should i be using heavy duty stuff? e.g. forged?

What HG would you recommend?

Blue seal version with upgrade Headbolts? Or the MLS ones?

Ill be buying the most of my engine stuff from CGB.....

If there is also anything that you would recommend me doing also? Eg change of cam to a piper alternative? Or just general ideas that you have picked up when doing your engine build/ knowledge, i would appreciate it....

Thanks

East Midlands Area Rep Mr Raider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Engine Build & What turbo?

Quote Originally Posted by Aterro View Post
    Hola Gentlemen & Possible Ladies

Im planning to rebuild my C1J.

My question is;

How much power do i go for? Im not a figures kinda guy,
    i just want a quick, fun and not have crazy amounts of lag, Oh and "reasonably" reliable

I don't want EFI, and want to stay carb.

So what would be a adequate turbo? to use? Hybrid t2 or t25?

Secondly,
    Is it worth while getting a tubular exhaust manifold? Or is the standard good enough?

Thirdly,
    The engine build itself, is "standard" stuff good enough?
    Eg standard liners, pistons, rods & rod bolts? Or should i be using heavy duty stuff? e.g. forged?

What HG would you recommend?

Blue seal version with upgrade Headbolts? Or the MLS ones?

Ill be buying the most of my engine stuff from CGB.....

If there is also anything that you would recommend me doing also? Eg change of cam to a piper alternative? Or just general ideas that you have picked up when doing your engine build/ knowledge, i would appreciate it....

Thanks
    How about C1J rebuilt, T25 running around 15-17psi as that would be fun and also reliable still retaining the carb re-jetted. Be well worth getting boost gauge, also AFR metre to keep an eye on fuelling as you go, replace standard intercooler with a alloy one or breadbin double capacity.

With regards to the engine depends how far you wanna go and how deep pockets are. The set up could be done with original manifold and internals to a point, would just take engine out and take it apart then replace the below main parts that wear:

Timing chain & tensioner
    Replace piston rings
    Hone liners
    Replace crank bearings and thrust washers, conrod bolts.
    Get crank checked, ground or polished as needed.
    Full gasket kit, bottom end set, with manifold gasket, rocker cover gasket and also the blue courteco/mellior head gasket (gsf R11402 part no. on its own) stem seals.
    Get the cylinder head check height make sure not below 73mm, get it pressure tested and skimmed to ensure perfectly flat. Check all valves and replace if needed.
    12.9 High tensile bolts
    Check oil pump clearances, replace with new internals if needed
    New water pump whilst its all off, new thermostat.

Be well worth checking clutch also whilst out and changing to a valeo greenbox for piece of mind.

This is the general idea and what I did although each to their own, hope I have not forgotten to mention anything! Haynes book is very usefull to use as a guide.
    Last edited by Mr Raider; 28-07-2014 at 22:48.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Engine Build & What turbo?

Did you discover the reason for the white smoke? If not, you need to investigate that as part of the strip down so that you don't rebuild only to find you didn't solve the problem that caused this rebuild in the first place.

Example: If it turns out to be a cracked head and you rebuild without pressure testing the head and discovering that's the problem, it wont be happy times.

Of course it might just be the headgasket and you may discover that in the strip down, which would be great. At that point however you might wonder why you spent all the money on a rebuild of an engine that has not long been rebuilt.

My advice is whatever you do, as part of the rebuild, ensure the fuelling and timing are correct. In rebuilding you might solve the smoking symptoms only for the problem to cause it again afterwards.

Keep up informed with info and pics pls!