Post Thanks / Like

Fueling/electrics problem

Yo yo.

Hey guys, as some of you know my 5GTT got me all the way to Monte Carlo before the fuel pump packed up. I've since got it back to the UK and had all that sorted, as well as well-deserved service. Bloody thing runs like a dream now, feels like a different car than what I took away.

Anyway, I digress. I picked it up from the garage the other week, drove it about 8 miles home - pleasant drive - and it died again. Same feeling as when out in Europe. Sudden loss of power. Fuel pump has pretty much been rebuilt so it made me think of the electrics.

When the car got returned to the garage last week, it wouldn't start until they wiggled some wiring - assuming it was the fuel injection ECU wiring looms - and it fired up again. Now I thought it would just be a case of whipping out some relays or fuses etc, look at a few connectors and voila! - sorted. However, after chatting to the mechanic, he says it's not that straightforward and needs a bit more of an in-depth look as the wiring has been modded from the Renault to the Volvo engine. Which he says will be expensive. He's an old boy who has worked for my family for yonks so he wouldn't rip me off. Might just be trying to price himself out of doing the job, but thought just check with y'all to see if there are any places I should look to address first before essentially ripping all the electrics out and starting again.

Cheers.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fueling/electrics problem

The volvo efi harness is seperate to the original wiring loom - only a handful of wires are needed to fire it up so should be pretty straightforward to diagnose. Have a search of the boards the wiring info is on there somewhere.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Did you replace the fuel filter?

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, mechanically I think it's sound. The guy has pretty much rebuilt the fuel pump. It was fidgeting with some wires - around the fuel ignition wiring loom/relay I presume (wasn't there to see it) - that brought it back to life. So guessing it's loose connections or something somewhere. Was wondering if this is common or not, or there's an easy-fix for it.

Cheers.

Post Thanks / Like

mine was doing similar and the fuse holder for the fuel pump was tempremental. Haz sorted it for me and been fine ever since. Could be something similar if its an intermittant fault