Post Thanks / Like

electric window

My drivers side electric window switch seems to be working on up but not down. I haven't tested anything with a electrical tester but I can here a noise that the power is there when pressing up. I have changed the spade connector to the motor and greased up the runner and annoyingly I have undone the screws that hold the runner to the door and now I can not lift it to get the screws lined up and back in. What shall I do now and how shall I do it? Please help I am sweating like a pig and I don't know how to get the window down and out like me right now or even how to fix the problem.

East Midlands Area Rep Mr Raider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: electric window

Sounds like it could be the switch fella. You can get the window mechanism out of the door itself, doorcard off, unbolt window mechanism to door and unbolt window glass. There's just enough room to remove the mechanism though the gaps in the inner door sections.

Worth mentioning that new outter window seals if they are corroded and swelled up, and silicone greasing them does help the window motor and mechanism.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

assuming it is the switch, which is fairly likely, and that the passenger side is working then swap the drivers and passenger side switches over so that you can wind the drivers window down

Post Thanks / Like

Good point

Haynes book is also usefull just to check when outside and away from the computer, hope you got it sorted mate.

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers lads, after a long session trying to move the window mechanism and having no joy and getting very defeated (I am no mechanic as you can tell) I finally clicked with the electric window switch on the other side and took my radio out popped the switches out and swapped them over. This allowed me to move the window up and down a few mill and with my left hand flicking the switch and my right hand covered in immense amounts of grease ragging the jammed runner about, it all of a sudden banged and the window was back on the runner again and working! I lined up the holes for the runners and got the screws in ASAP and my god it felt good, I sorted it! After a few minutes of pure elation I calmed down and set about cleaning all the old crap grease that had loads of crap stuck in it and thoroughly cleaned the runner at the front of the door the main runner and re greased them and the window has never been so rapid! I just need another window switch now as one of mine only works one way, anyone got a spare to sell?

Thanks again for the response chaps

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

A switch? A SWITCH?

Easy peas compared to what it might have been lol

Post Thanks / Like

Niceone mate Did you use silicon grease on the inside of the outter window seal?

I have a spare window switch I think in the garage, will have a look for you

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't use anything on my window seals as they are all brand new, I will use some silicone grease though if they get a bit sticky in the future. I used some ptfe lubricant spray on the runners. If you have a switch mate that will be much appreciated and I can paypal you the money over?