Post Thanks / Like

roll cage

OK I am lookin for a rear cage for the track 5, I have a rear one ally one, excellent condition in tungy grey but don't think it would be suitable for track days so to save any problems I'm looking for a steel one and am going to sell the ally one if anyone wants it? I can put up pics if required.
    So just let me know what u got.

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Re: roll cage

Im not sure how good just a rear cage is. Ive a full 6 point safety devices in mine with door bars etc, and the feedback I had from some track days is that unless ive got it welded in properly with 3mm thick 120mmx120mm plates under the cage legs then im better off just taking it out.

Im in the middle of rebuilding my car so am in 2 minds as to whether to get some 3mm thick plating and weld in at the same time rather than the 2mm thick stuff im currently using.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitstew View Post
    Im not sure how good just a rear cage is. Ive a full 6 point safety devices in mine with door bars etc, and the feedback I had from some track days is that unless ive got it welded in properly with 3mm thick 120mmx120mm plates under the cage legs then im better off just taking it out.

Im in the middle of rebuilding my car so am in 2 minds as to whether to get some 3mm thick plating and weld in at the same time rather than the 2mm thick stuff im currently using.
    Thats good to know, it's the type of problem I'm trying to avoid so I will probably be better off with a six point and welding it in!
    Thanks for the advice

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dudders View Post
    Thats good to know, it's the type of problem I'm trying to avoid so I will probably be better off with a six point and welding it in!
    Thanks for the advice
    Mine is the bolt in version and I think thats fine, its just where the legs bolt to the bodyshell you need to weld in some plates on the car to strengthen it - so the bolts go through the roll cage legs, through the plate & through the car body.

I guess it depends on where you plan to take it. I think for most of the track days they dont really care what you have - ive seen some right MOT failure sheds being thrashed around tracks before. But if you end up wanting to do FIA regulated events etc then they have much stricter guidelines - hence the 3mm thick plating...

Im not sure i will ever do FIA stuff but want my cage to be safe enough so if i do roll it that the legs dont just perforate straight through the floor of the car.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi do you have pics of your alloy rear cage? i have a steel rear cage cage possibly a safety devices one with the optional door bars. Could do a deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thundercat View Post
    Hi do you have pics of your alloy rear cage? i have a steel rear cage cage possibly a safety devices one with the optional door bars. Could do a deal.
    I will try and get some pics, problem is the car is down at the coast at the moment tucked up in a garage and the roll cage is sitting in the back while I'm up here.

If you look at the picture competition thread on here there is a pic of it sitting in the back of the car.