Post Thanks / Like

trailing arm bush

Hi all

Unsure if this is the right section to post in.

A friend (non member) has said that he could get some rear trailing arm bushes.

Photos are of ones he can get.

The prices he's quoted is £65 each plus postage.

Direct from Renault these are about £350 a side and come as part of the trailing arm.

If anyone's interested PM me and I will forward your details on.

Cheers
    Last edited by Jimmy5; 07-07-2014 at 20:21.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: trailing arm bush

Possibly interested. I've messaged him in FB about them also.

Post Thanks / Like

if there the same dimensions and fit as OE id be interested.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J$£5GTT View Post
    if there the same dimensions and fit as OE id be interested.
    Yep same here

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

The guy says they're a perfect fit. I'm more interested if they last tbh. i.e. We've all read about cheap lower arms/upper arms etc (on VWs and BMWs) that last 3000 miles!

If these are no good, and fail, it's a big waste of time and effort, let alone $$!

Post Thanks / Like

Alright,

Re-joined so that I can answer any questions. Not fair asking Jimmy5 to do all the hard work.

The bushes are OE quality. I've inspected them up close and very happy. I'm even more happy that they fit.

I have no problem at all using these on my car. In fact there are few modern cars these days that don't need any form of rubber bush item replacing as a serviceable part after a few years of use. The problem on the R5s is that these bushes have been in for 25 years so anything has got to be a better improvement over the old items. It's not as if we have many options. £350 a side from Renault or another used beam from another car that might not be any better.

I have a spare beam which I picked up to dismantle and possibly use to save time. The plan was to refurbish the rear beam and then swap it over with mine. Anyway when I finally got this beam remove from the donor car I was shocked to see the state of the bushes, they were in a bad way. I have a picture to show you the condition of the bush. The car this beam was taken from had done 100K. Obviously the car had been sitting for a while but how many others are looking like this behind the scenes.

So my only option was to get the bodyshop to remove my rear beam and stick the crap one above on my car while its being worked on, it was a shame as the one above was the correct height and had never been adjusted. It wasn't the plan but not the end of the world. Anyway I dropped the beam off so that it could be set back to the correct height and power coated then got a call with some more bad news..

Here is a picture from my beam. The car has low mileage but has previously been lowered by someone adjusting the torsion bars. This has clearly put extra stress on the bush and therefore ready for the bin. When the arm was removed the bush came away from the arm and its metal shroud.

I would much prefer to put a brand new bush on like this. A crucial new part that will prolong the GT and pass future MOTs. These are a fraction of the price of a new arm. Quite possibly a DIY job and I'm sure members on here will find skilled ways to replace these new bushes.

I cannot guarantee that I will be able to supply large numbers of these items. I will also be dealing with these in my spare time due to running a business during the day. I will not be ordering large units in case I get stuck with bushes I do not need.

This might possibly need to work on a group buy basis.