Post Thanks / Like

Engine trouble in Europe. B#llocks.

Evening chaps.

Hope everyone's hunky dory.

As some of y'all know I bought a 5 GTT with a Volvo 1.7 Turbo for a rally I was doing.
    Well, I'm currently on the rally. Over the last week Pepe and I have wnjoyed cruising from Belgium to Germany to Italy to Monaco (loads of cool photos I am going to share too). It's been awesome. Then we decided to shoot over to Italy and drive the Stelvio Pass. This is where things went tits up. Half way up the mountain to the pass - about 2,100ft - Pepe stalled and wouldn't start again. So I rolled back down to a layby. Now he has fuelling issues: starts fine first thing but if I want to start him again, it takes a few attempts and a bit of gas to get him going again (evaporation issue, I think). This time, however, it was not to be.

Firstly I thought it might be the altitude as 4th and 5th gear had no get-up-and-go when driving up in the Alps briefly, but this seems to have spread to all gears now. The car turns over, just won't fire. It's got petrol in it and we've hammered the fuel tank/line, so I'm presuming it's the injectors.

I've got Eurocover, but they took Pepe to a Renault garage who, as helpiful as they were, couldn't do much with the Volvo engine. So tomorrow it's getting taken to a Volvo garage to be looked at. If they can't sort it, I'll have to see if my cover will take him back to the UK.

Any thoughts of what the issues could be?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Engine trouble in Europe. B#llocks.

weird one hope you sort it soon pal. you can take the petrol pipe of the drivers side of the engine, put pipe in a milk bottle and crank it to confirm its a fuel issue.although haz would be best person to help diagnose a fault on these engines. should be on later.

Post Thanks / Like

if its not fuel the other thing to check is the coil...mine went and that cut the engine out and wouldnt start either, tried towing it and bumping it to no avail.

Post Thanks / Like

check for spark....i presume u have(plus broken dis cap brush)
    check to see is the injectors clicking(hold them when cranking)
    if its an adaptronic ecu,there are output LEDs on the front panel
    check to see if camshaft is moving and timing is correct
    if alarm is fitted switch it off in case it interrupts the ign supply

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys.

Sorry for the late reply, but big thanks for the prompt suggestions and help.

I went over all the above - except checking the injectors (don't ask me how I forgot this) - but to no avail. Pepe refused to start, so the rally finished their for the 5GT. Massive shame as was only a stone's throw away from the glorious Stelvio Pass. Ho hum, just wasn't to be.

As the AA euro cover was bloody useless, I had to get Pepe recovered and taken back to the UK myself - still weeping at the cost - and it should return Saturday when I can get another look at him (and importantly, let someone who has half a clue about engines look at him).

I think the issue is blockage somewhere. I stupidly let him run low on petrol before filling up -light came on for a hefty while and I had to roll in neutral to the garage to save fuel - then after filling it up again was gunning it up steep inclines etc. This sloshing about might of stirred up silt etc and blocked the line somewhere. Just a thought anyway.

Hopefully getting him looked at soon, so will keep you updated - Pepe will ride again!

Cheers.

Post Thanks / Like

While I'm at it, here are a few photos of Pepe.

https://www.rtoc.org/boards/album.php...ictureid=10210

Post Thanks / Like

Gutted m8, put the c1j back in.

Committee Member
    Events
    Post Thanks / Like

Try the fuel pump relay. If it goes it stops the fuel and spark