Post Thanks / Like

Clio 172 calipers

Does anyone know if the clio 172 capiler is similiar design to the 5 gt turbo caliper? I know the clio 16v is the same just with a different size carrier's to accept the bigger disc's but not too sure on the 172 ones.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clio 172 calipers

yeah its similar, so is the rear caliper too

iirc the front caliper has some extra metal on the side of the carrier however, or at least the 182 does

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Ah cool, they do look pretty similar so shouldn't be too bad to fit on the 5.

Was looking at cheap alternatives to uping the size of the front disc's, not totally decided on doing it yet but at least theres a few options.

Post Thanks / Like

Ashy has been looking at using them, you'll need a bracket of sorts.

Post Thanks / Like

What sort of bracket would i need Andy mate.

I'm not too sure if there any different from the Clio 16v caplier as i done the conversion on my old 5 and only needed the caliper hanger to fit the disc's.

Post Thanks / Like

i've got a feeling they are a bit diff on the mounts on the hub, i think the 182's run a 285mm disc.

16v ones are same hydraulically to the GTT, just the carrier is spaced out for a 250(ish) disc rather than a 230(ish) i think.

Post Thanks / Like

the way we did it on my bro's was to buy some 21 txe discs from gsf that were old stock and £25 the pair, then a mate machined up some extenders for the std calipers... i think we have a spare if ya wanna copy it

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah the carrier on the 16v is longer to accept the 253mm disc's from the clio, i thought thew clio 172 might of been the same but if its too different them i'll prob give it a miss, was just looking at a possible quick upgrade.

I think 285mm disc's are going to be too big for the wheels i'm going to run, i'm using Williams wheels for the road which is fine but not too sure yet of drag wheel size yet so they might not clear.

Post Thanks / Like

Clio Valver & Williams are 259mm and 172/182 are 280mm discs.

I'm pretty sure that the Valver/Williams carrier is a straight swap anto the hub for the bigger 259 discs but, you'd have to check the carrier mounting hole spacing/offset on the 172/182.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Woznaldo View Post
    Clio Valver & Williams are 259mm and 172/182 are 280mm discs.

I'm pretty sure that the Valver/Williams carrier is a straight swap anto the hub for the bigger 259 discs but, you'd have to check the carrier mounting hole spacing/offset on the 172/182.
    Yeah the carrier from the clio 16v/williams is a straight swap just wasn't too sure if the 172 was too.

I knew the disc size was roughly 250ish

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

182 calipers aren't a direct fit, they would need brackets to fit them up... As for 172's I assume they are the same but not sure!

Post Thanks / Like

did anyone get any further with the 172/182 brake conversion?

Post Thanks / Like

I have a feeling 306 GTi-6 calipers might bolt straight to the 5 hubs..... As the 406 V6 brembos pretty much bolt straight onto the 106 and 306 etc

GTi-6 look like the same style caliper as the 172 with a different carrier

Worth looking into

Post Thanks / Like

The disc height of the Pug disc is quite a bit different but, that doesn't mean that the calipers won't fit?

http://www.apec-braking.co.uk/apec_d...tno=DSK+642+++

Post Thanks / Like

surely if u were looking for upgrades more pots is the way to go with bigger discs as 172's are still on sliders no
    even the likes of evos ect have twin pot rears gotta be a bit better?
    just a thought though lol

Post Thanks / Like

it is but big money for multi pot calipers, the clio 172 calipers with decent pads and disks are more then good enough for a clio so will be immense on a 5

Post Thanks / Like

yeah there the same kinda style..
    you would need spacers tho to bolt the calipers on as ashy said..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Adey aka Ewok View Post
    it is but big money for multi pot calipers, the clio 172 calipers with decent pads and disks are more then good enough for a clio so will be immense on a 5
    Which are 280mm so why not go with the tried and tested 21Txi 285mm option with the extenders, unless the pistons on the 172 calipers are bigger in diameter

Post Thanks / Like

was throwing ideas buddy, got some caliper extenders on there way, was looking at the 172 calipers tho, i think they might actually be a bigger unit, so migth be a worth while upgrade over just the bigger disk, mabey more clamping force or somthing? either way, ill be getting the same pad/disk setup i use on my clio on the 5, awsome stopping power

Post Thanks / Like

No probs Ade, was also thinking wouldn't the discs have different offsets? going from the OE 238mm to 280 or 285mm i'm sure they are

Post Thanks / Like

they are different offsets yes.

Post Thanks / Like

Im in need of some extender brackets to use with 285 discs. Where are people getting the extenders from?? Will the txi discs and extender brackets bolt straight on and not affect wheel offset??

Post Thanks / Like

i found mine on ebay, didnt get disks or anything so i hope they will either line the caliper up with txi or 172 disks

Post Thanks / Like

i found mine on ebay, didnt get disks or anything so i hope they will either line the caliper up with txi or 172 disks
    Assuming you're talking about caliper extenders there was only 2 companies as far as i'm aware that sold them as part of their kit 1: K Tec and 2: GT Tuning

K tec are made from HE30 grade billet, i'm sure GT Tunings were stainless steel so you'll know which ones you've purchased.

Regarding offsets the TXi discs will definitely work with the billet extenders, i'm pretty sure that's what they based the kit on. If i remember correctly GT Tunings setup looked different regarding bolting up to the hub, i remember (Ian S?) having a piccy or 2 of their setup on the old site.

I don't know whether the extenders will work with 280mm discs and the caliper. To me if you're fitting this to a 5 then it's worth just going with the 285mm, it fits/works and very well.

I'll also go as far to say that my 285mm setup on the 5 worked better than the Brembo 280mm setup on my Clio 172, maybe it's something to do with the 'feel' or ABS but that's my personal opinion.

I still have the original drawing to make HE30 billet extenders which will work with the 21TXi discs but i've been a tad lazy and busy to dig them out and my house share.

Post Thanks / Like

the ones i have coming are indeed made of he30.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Assuming you're talking about caliper extenders there was only 2 companies as far as i'm aware that sold them as part of their kit 1: K Tec and 2: GT Tuning

K tec are made from HE30 grade billet, i'm sure GT Tunings were stainless steel so you'll know which ones you've purchased.

Regarding offsets the TXi discs will definitely work with the billet extenders, i'm pretty sure that's what they based the kit on. If i remember correctly GT Tunings setup looked different regarding bolting up to the hub, i remember (Ian S?) having a piccy or 2 of their setup on the old site.

I don't know whether the extenders will work with 280mm discs and the caliper. To me if you're fitting this to a 5 then it's worth just going with the 285mm, it fits/works and very well.

I'll also go as far to say that my 285mm setup on the 5 worked better than the Brembo 280mm setup on my Clio 172, maybe it's something to do with the 'feel' or ABS but that's my personal opinion.

I still have the original drawing to make HE30 billet extenders which will work with the 21TXi discs but i've been a tad lazy and busy to dig them out and my house share.

Ric, me old. They look the bis. I deffinately need better brakes due to reaching daft speeds quite quickly now!! Ok, if you still have the cad drawings can i have a copy so i can get some made up?? I know a man with a plan that can. He's a little funny looking but makes good bits and bobs from metal! Bit like Edward scissor hands did with hedges.

Non-member Penfold aka The Dealer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MATT C Ringworm Tuning View Post
    Ric, me old. They look the bis. I deffinately need better brakes due to reaching daft speeds quite quickly now!! Ok, if you still have the cad drawings can i have a copy so i can get some made up?? I know a man with a plan that can. He's a little funny looking but makes good bits and bobs from metal! Bit like Edward scissor hands did with hedges.
    Matt,

I dont know if it helps but i have a set or 2 of the caliper extenders, i could lend you a set so you can get them copied....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Penfold View Post
    Matt,

I dont know if it helps but i have a set or 2 of the caliper extenders, i could lend you a set so you can get them copied....
    Hey now thats a plan shoppers!! If its not too much trouble that is.

Post Thanks / Like

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

BEWARE OF CHEAP QUALITY BRANDS LISTED ON EBAY- INSIST ON QUALITY BRAND FOR A DEMANDING JOB!!!

So they dont state what make they are, so guessing another cheap quality brand listed on eBay then.

Post Thanks / Like

so has anyone got a part number for the txi disks? a gsf on if possible, the caliper extenders i have look like riccys ones so need to offer them up with the 21 disks. anyone help?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Penfold View Post
    Matt,

Chris is that offer for the extenders loan still viable?? Im looking at brakes very soon.