Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wont stay in second, simple or sinister??

Right then, car wont stay in second and tries to jump out, i believe from research either the box is fubared or its the linkage, car does not crunch and happily goes into second up and down the box. Contacted the guy i bought it from and he swears it didnt do it before and all he has done is fit a new gear knob and gator, i find it hard to believe this is the cause. How do you check the linkage as correct or not?? Wasnt expecting to buy quite such a project but hey ho.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wont stay in second, simple or sinister??

sorry to hear that christopher. my old gtx used to do that sounds like syncros gone. mine happened when my clutch cable went and i drove the 20 miles home gear/rev matching it. think i only missed second twice.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thing is with the synchro arent there usually other symptoms?? Hard to get into gear, crunchy going down the box etc?? Pissed of as i took the gu at his word with the car being excellent on ebay and turns out thats not quite the case, if i had paid project money i wouldnt be quite so pissed off.

Post Thanks / Like

you could be right i honestly dont knw. agree with you on the ebay problems..i once did a 500 mile round.trip to buy a 5 advertised with 7000miles on it. whe. i got there it was obvious hes clocked to 1 back because the car was defo looking like it covered over a 100k... im sure some of the more enlightened dudes will be on shortly to let you kwow what it could be with your second gear problem.

Post Thanks / Like

It could be a failing gearbox mount, as you say gear linkage not straight. No expert with gearboxes but from personal expierence I've never had one go that has been symptomless

Post Thanks / Like

Probably engine mount indeed, it won't be the synchro as that's only there to rev match the gears so they can slide in. Once in gear it's the fork which holds it in powered by a ball and spring.

Iirc if the ball and spring of that particular fork/shaft are bad it will fall out of the whole bank of gears...

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hoping it's that tutuur, my classic mini (jack knight gearbox) pops out of second but the synchro is on the way out on that as you have to be very careful coming back down the box not to crunch as saiid in my previous post, goes up into and down into second fine, will see when I get the mounts and linkage looked at, god I really hope it's not the box, two cars struck with it would be bloody unlucky.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

same thing happened to me mate on here I was had over with 2nd gear poping out paid good money to someome off here and iam having the same prob mate I must confurm it is a PISS OFF there is honest people out there tho fella not found the prob with mine tho ??

Post Thanks / Like

Common fault for the gearbox to pop out of 2nd gear is the box itself, seem it a fair few times

Post Thanks / Like

My first ever box 10 years ago was the same, i just used to hold it in......it did 30k like that

Always check the selectors first to see if its an easy fix. Failing that get a known good second hand box, be specific in the add that this is what your after. A box swap can be done in a day by someone who is handy with the spanners even with changing the clutch.

Its a pisser but I'm guessing as you own a mini you know it's all part an parcel of having an old motor.

I'm sure there are a few articles on how to check the selectors. The engine mounts should be an easy spot, grab the lump and give it a good shake and see how it feels, should be nice and tight.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all your replies. GT Phil, i have checked and google is no help, need to source a haynes manual methinks. (To be honest i will probably do a few miles putting up with it myself if it turns out to be the box) KEV 5GT to be Honest the guy sold it with his missus there and everything so i may have been a bit naive, didnt expect a minter but didnt pay project money so yes a bit pissed off. Especially when listed as excellent condition!!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Might have dodged a bullet.

Dropped the car of for my mechanic to have alook at yesterday. Popped round today and he has adjusted the gear linkage and cannot get it to pop out of second. Looks like i might have dodged an expensive bullet. Whoohoo.

Post Thanks / Like

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

did this fix the prob mate just adjusting arm or is it stuck in second now lol ?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

No, not stuck in second though that did make me chuckle, actually sorted the problem, though not driven it myself yet as I nipped in before I left for the airport. He categorically cannot get it go pop out of second, means I can hopefully spend the money on something else on the car.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

is it easy enough to ajust the gear linkage ? any threds on how or should I get someone that's knows to have a look a t mine ?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I googled and found nothing helpful, 5 minutes on the ramps is all it should take to check, if someone knows what they are looking at. Hope that's all it is with yours too, fingers crossed.

Post Thanks / Like

Have a read of this should help you get to grips with it a little more

https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=4798

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

h fingers crossed lol does anyone on here know of any best way of doing this ??

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

cheers phil I will have a read on that then have a look mate

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice one Phil, Kevin, mine engaged gears fine, no crunching or anything but just popped out of second, same solution though.