Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: R5 GTT Rear Wheel Drive 172 project

could always go down the turbo route

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by c7borg View Post
    I am guessing but it's either bad workmanship when it was put back togeather, or even a cheap head gasket. Basically I spun a bearing last year and bought another bottom end as my old one was cracked where the bearing went, the same as what happened to ashy!
    Then I took it to an old friend who rebuilds engines (used to do them well when I was younger) anyway the only other thing I can think of is whether the head needed a skim.. either way it's all got to come apart again (after just 300miles!!) but I need to decided what to do.. i.e take it somewhere expensive and get it done with a reciept!! take it somewhere cheaper and hope they do it properly or just flog the whole thing or break it.. just not sure.. as Andy says maybe I just need to cool off
    hi mate i will be interested in the car if its for sale

East Midlands Regional Rep Os8472's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Andy is right, dont go giving up on it just because of a head gasket.

Why not consider a different engine, the f4r seems to have some issues and c1j as everyone knows isn't the most reliable lump, why not go f7p or f7r, it's a solid base that can produce some awesome power and without most of the f4r's weak points, namely the crank pulley has a woodrough key, there's no vvt to go wrong and unlike the f4r it doesn't seem to been designed on a budget

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

As you probbaly know, I put the car up for sale and it has now been sold to another club member. I'll let them tell you who but I'm sure it's gone to a good home
    I've been a owner/member 8 years and it's been a pleasure being in the club but unless I get another five I probably won't renew.. so it's a kind of farewell but I'll always have an eye on the classified's

Thanks to all that have helped me in the past and all the best

Andrew.

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Saw the car last night, definately a good job you done with that, such a shame that you didn't get as much out of it without all those troubles with the 172 engine. But speaking to the new owner sounds like he has a few plans ready for it.