Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: R5 GTT Rear Wheel Drive 172 project

Finally got round to posting some pics of my first event (and last of the year )

Click here for the slideshow (saves clicking them individually)

Last edited by c7borg; 26-10-2009 at 15:03. Reason: terwuble english

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

wow, It's very nice to looking at this, I am waiting the movie 4, am glad to see the finish line at your intrusting project. Really good one "project of the year".

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks very much ..I did get a bit of video footage but I was having trouble reading it on my machine (complaining about codecs ) I'll see if I can get it on youtube or something over the weekend.

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Warren View Post
    thanks very much ..I did get a bit of video footage but I was having trouble reading it on my machine (complaining about codecs ) I'll see if I can get it on youtube or something over the weekend.

Fantastic read, and glad to hear all is going well matey, looking forward to seeing video footage.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

We're still waiting for a movie, if you have a problem raising the film send me mail at my address: higazi_a@yahoo.com. really interesting to see, in addition to bring more details about how the car behaves rounds so hard to control. </span>and how going with the gears stuck or not</span>

Post Thanks / Like

Good stuff

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just thought I'd put this vid in of my day at Curbourough, I've sure it was quicker than it looks.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUcj-vraQuE
    Last edited by c7borg; 29-03-2010 at 10:20.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just got my running order through for next weekends sprint at Curbourgh I'll be running in the sports libre class for my sins, being an odd ball car and it looks like I'm the only entry for that class.. oh well at least I'll be 1st in class and get some championship points..

The events on Sunday the 9th near Lichfield if anyone's passing.. here's the details http://www.curborough.co.uk/curbloc.htm

Car update:
    After putting the standard seats and carpet back in for a bit of comfort, I'll be taking the seats back out again in favour of a single bucket for the event..
    I haven't got around to sorting the gearbox yet so I think my starts are going to be hampered by gentle 1st to 2nd gear changes so my only goal is to get as close to my last time of 38.56 @ 86mph

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

good luck Andy

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well.. my first event event didn't go too well.. I had two decent practice runs a 41.92 and a 40.74 not as good as my last visit of 38.56 and then on my first timed run about half way round disaster struck, the engine started clanging.. I'm guessing its the bottom end bearings or something. I pootled across the finish line and exited the track and went for an early bath.. The bonus being I got a time so I was first in class being the only competitor in sports libre class

I think the cause was a tired engine as it's never been checked since I bought it second hand. However, once it's fixed I'll be fitting a proper rev counter and setting the rev limited as I don't fancy a repeat of this.

On the up side of things it gives me the opportunity to replace the cam belt and whilst I'm at it the gearbox too.

With a bit of luck I should have it sorted for my return trip to Curbourgh on June 19th
    Last edited by c7borg; 09-05-2010 at 19:50.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

turbo time!!!!!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I've had the engine checked and it's well and truly knackered.. main bearing, crank and a crack in the block just to put the icing on the cake

Does anyone know of any clio 172 or 182 engines knocking around (well preferably not knocking) or even just the bottom end?

I haven't got a full account over at cliosport.net so if any one that has could have a little sniff in their parts for sale section I would be most grateful

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

full set up goes for strong money and people dont often split..

im sure a guy from cliosport said you could get a fully recon or new bottom end for under a grand.. im sure with some fishing you could get one for a fair price..

Post Thanks / Like

Complete engines (172 Ph2 and 182) usually go for around £350-450 over on CS, with most things included and in VGC....id just do that, swap your bits onto it and away you go.

Il keep an eye out over there and post up on here if anything comes up

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

cheers mate, that would be great

Post Thanks / Like

It's such a shame that the block has cracked otherwise you could of bought a laguna,vel satis etc... f4rt complete engine and built it up using the the F4R block the same as Andy. Even running the smaller turbo found on the 175bhp F4RT engine it would still make considerably more power than the 172 engine with a bit of ecu tweaking and obviously more torque to.

I'll keep my eyes peeled as well but as has already been mentioned they seem to be swapping hands for a reasonable amount at the moment. Obviously you could bite the bullet and buy a complete R26 engine and box, I know the space is to tight in the front for the F4RT+Box combo but surely in the boot it should fit?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

i have a spare F4R block and a possible crank and rods

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by andyrg View Post
    i have a spare F4R block and a possible crank and rods
    Excellent.. I'll drop you a pm

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay so I've moved house and finally have my own garage

The engines out and currently being rebuilt, my gearbox is back from having it's 2nd gear syncro mesh and selector fork renewed

And whilst I have some downtime I've had the windscreen removed and am sorting out the rust.. well I say rust it turned out they were actually holes

But after the initial shock I decided to do a bit of grinding, wire brushing and hammer forming and rust treatment all last night ! I've also made up some little plates that hopefully I'll get round to welding this week..

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

great to see your project on the move again

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HAndy View Post
    great to see your project on the move again
    Here Here!

Post Thanks / Like

keep up the good work.

Post Thanks / Like

I need to do this on mine. Keep us informed mate!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Andy,

Was the block and Crank ok??

Andy

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

It's been a while but I've finally got my engine sorted, so it's spurred me on to get the rest of the bits sorted.

The windscreen surround is now finished, ready for a new screen (to be booked in) I've found a local place that will supply and fit a plain screen (no tint) for £65 which doesn't seem to bad!

The welding of the holes was a little tricky with it being so thin on the endge of the rust I ended up making bigger holes but after a bit of building and a bit more grinding I got quite a flat surface to fill onto. I sanded and filled about three times and primed and sanded another three and then gave it a few coates of halfords top coat. The colour does seem a shade dark from the can than my original glacier white but not too noticable and I'm overall quite pleased with the finish.. certainly a lot better than the rust finish I had previously

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Whilst doing the screen I've been piecing the engine back togeather and tidying the back of the car up a bit. In fact I think I shaved off about a kilo of excess metal that just wasn't required and it looks neater too. A fresh lick of paint has covered many unsighly marks from trying different exhaust configurations and cooling ideas..

I've also added this picture for reference as it's quite a good shot of my bump steer mod, which I think I've detailed earlier in the thread.. I've also painted these to get rid of the brown tinge that seems to have developed the red colour is just a reflection of the glove next to it.. it looks like the metals red hot (will it did to me )

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question time... looking at this graph where should I set my rev limiter? I was thinking 6700rpm

Any help appreciated as I don't want to spin anymore bearings

Post Thanks / Like

Set the limiter the same as standard 172, hot limiter is 7250 iirc?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

i think you were just unlucky, not knowing what the previous engine was like condition wise, i dont think 6700rpm was that high im sure valver boys bounce there engines around 7000 rpm all the time, your engine should cope with that, scoff must be running same engine with a turbo and big boost, ok not for long periods of time but still alot of power put through the engine none the less , and he does'nt spin bearings that often keep it how it was

glad to see your project on the move again

mine now runs but got a few teething probs still, oil leak being the main

Post Thanks / Like

7500, that's where mine's set

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HAndy View Post
    mine now runs but got a few teething probs still, oil leak being the main
    I do hate oil leaks! hopefully I should be up and running by the weekend (without an oil leak ) Do you have any more pics of yours now it's complete? and how did the MOT retest go?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Cooke View Post
    7500, that's where mine's set
    Do you use this engine for sprinitng? I might stick it at 7250 just to be on the safe side I want it to last at least a season this time round

Post Thanks / Like

Do you use this engine for sprinitng? I might stick it at 7250 just to be on the safe side I want it to last at least a season this time round
    Daily driver, I think the grp N limit was 7800, 7500 is just what fastchip use in their maps.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

okay, I think for now I put my shift light on for 6500 the softcut limiter for 7250 and hard cut at 7500.. then look at raising it after a few events when I'm feeling a bit more confident

do you have a shift light on your sprint car?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I do hate oil leaks! hopefully I should be up and running by the weekend (without an oil leak ) Do you have any more pics of yours now it's complete? and how did the MOT retest go?
    got sort out the brakes still ,as rear not working very well then a little play with crank pulley sizes,and leak ,then a re test , and all should be good

Post Thanks / Like

do you have a shift light on your sprint car?
    no, I change gear when I feel like it

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Cooke View Post
    no, I change gear when I feel like it
    lol

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

A bit more work last night, I finally got round to converting the cup shock absorbers I bought from sam fish. I ground off the tack welds that attached my old standard shocks to the coilover conversion kits, these have served me well!
    Next I trimed down the platform shown in the first photo and then welded the coilover conversion threads to the platform I bought these from Rally Design about 4 years ago and the threads are still good on them so quite impressed!
    The only difference with the cup shocks is that they have oversized shafts I assume for strength, so I needed to enlarge the hole on the conversion tops to 32mm which wasn't difficult as they are made from soft aluminum.
    After that it was just a matter of putting them back togeather, just need a windscreen on my car to go try them out.. Autowindscreens have let me down

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Question time... looking at this graph where should I set my rev limiter? I was thinking 6700rpm

Any help appreciated as I don't want to spin anymore bearings
    Must be a common problem with these engines, thats what happend to mine at Pod.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

eek.. I hope you're block is okay

Chris mentioned you have to be really careful with contamination and use renault bearings...

Interesting yours has done the same though and I think it was the same bearing!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a quick update...

The screen is in.. fitted for £80 by Nottingham Windscreens

I fired up the engine and was missing on cylinder 2.. I naturally thought the worst and was thinking I would have to take the head off at best. but on a last ditch effort I thought I would swap the injectors over.. fortuantley and to some relief I saw the culprit a cracked connector on the injector and after swapping the injectors around it confirmed that was the fault..
    So a trip to Renault Derby.. which was quite funny as they were having a french day.. all dressed up in berets, black and white striped jumpers and garlic around their necks.... anyway I humoured them and asked ou a la parts department..
    Back home with my new injector and £58 later the engine was running sweet!!! I've only done 10 miles so far just another 490 before the engines run in and I can put my foot down again

Result

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

bah.. I was supposed to do an event tomorrow but the fuel pumps knackered!!

Out of the f4r'ers & f4rt'ers what fuel pumps do you use as I'm on the look out for a replacment.. do 2.0 lagunas have external pumps? everything seems to have internal pumps these days...

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I used a sapphire cosworth external pump with my f4r

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

cosworth pump it is then..

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by James5 View Post
    I used a sapphire cosworth external pump with my f4r
    Thats what I use too

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

What a ballache.. my head gasket has now gone!!

I think I might put it up for sale again as I just can't keep spending, just bought two buckets seats, re-done the rear suspension and bushes and it rewards me with a head gasket failure it's a shame as it still drives well just produces white smoke and I can see the mayo starting to form

I should have stuck with the CJ1 anyone fancy a project?

Post Thanks / Like

put it in the garage and pour yourself a cold one, it'll seem like a trifle in a couple of weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

any ideas why its gone?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I am guessing but it's either bad workmanship when it was put back togeather, or even a cheap head gasket. Basically I spun a bearing last year and bought another bottom end as my old one was cracked where the bearing went, the same as what happened to ashy!
    Then I took it to an old friend who rebuilds engines (used to do them well when I was younger) anyway the only other thing I can think of is whether the head needed a skim.. either way it's all got to come apart again (after just 300miles!!) but I need to decided what to do.. i.e take it somewhere expensive and get it done with a reciept!! take it somewhere cheaper and hope they do it properly or just flog the whole thing or break it.. just not sure.. as Andy says maybe I just need to cool off

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

cool off

do something else for the weekend and come back to it in a week or so