Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Help needed in Newport South Wales

Hi, I've recently got my car back from a mechanic who had the car for 6 months and only managed to do an engine swap and still mess it up :-| I'm in desperate need for someone who knows these cars to help me out. The car has a supposedly forged rebuilt engine fitted (purchased from a local guy who was on here too) I've had the car running but only ran for less than 1 min. When it was running it started chucking water out the exhaust then cut out. I pressurised the water bottle and it would just leak straight out the exhaust. I have no idea where to start with this as I didn't take it apart. The car won't start now and smells like some fuel has mixed with the water. I'm looking for someone who can give me a hand sorting this out. I don't really want to take it to a garage as I've kind of lost trust in local garages. I'm willing to pay for your time just need this fixed asap. Thanks

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help needed in Newport South Wales

Sorry to hear that, the person you got the engine from, did you hear the engine running? First thing you should do is a compression check on the engine.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, never heard the engine running as it was never refitted to the car. I'll see if I can get hold if a compression tester and have a go. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Billy91 View Post
    Hi, never heard the engine running as it was never refitted to the car. I'll see if I can get hold if a compression tester and have a go. Thanks
    There only £20ish from halfords

Trader
    Nocturnal Developments
    Post Thanks / Like

A minute isn't really long enough. Water can just be condensation, or if the engine that was originally mated to the exhaust had passed water, ie headgasket. Only way the water could have fuel in is on boost. Off boost engine is under vacuum so will suck water into the engine. How much water has the engine used from the coolant bottle? If there's too much water in the cylinders it can aqua lock, which could be why it cut out. Wip all the plugs out and crank it over as that will show which is the leaky cylinder/headgasket/cracked head. I'd assume not a liner as water would be in the oil.

Trader
    Nocturnal Developments
    Post Thanks / Like

Also, if it's been there 6 months, has the engine actually been changed? Could it have and the been used? Could they have blew it up? For me I'd pull it apart to see of the engine is what it's supposed to be and go from there

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, thanks for the reply. It seems like the water bottle is somehow connected to the exhaust system. If I blow into the water bottle I can hear it bubbling from the exhaust. I have my original engine however it's in bits. The engine fitted is supposedly forged and rebuilt over a year ago. There was a water pipe connected to the top of the turbo and if I blew into that you could hear it coming out of the exhaust. I'll try and get some pictures