Post Thanks / Like

16" turini nightmare more help pleeze ;((((((

ok just gone to fit the 16" turinis on mikes car and ive got a nightmare, on the rear the bumper is about 1mm from tyre edge, is there anything i can do apart from grinding the edge off the bumper, all i want is a mot on it

tyres are 195/45/16

i was told they would fit ok but they dont

help

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 16" turini nightmare more help pleeze ;((((((

Grinder action needed mate

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brigsy View Post
    Grinder action needed mate

thought so b@llox are you sure jon

Post Thanks / Like

All big wheels require a bit of grinder action. You would be better off with 15s or 13s with decent tyres matey

Post Thanks / Like

Fit 195/40 tyres or place the rear bumper backwards a bit

Post Thanks / Like

mike paid good money for these off flee and the tyres are good but the wheels do need abit of a refurb which mike was going to do, typical the wheels on the car are fubar as mike went down a massive pothole and it buckled them really bad, i was told they would fit, i unstand the 40's would give the clearance i need but the cost is going to be crazy after what he paid, im really p1ssed off, looks like a complete waste of money, the grinder would also give more clearance but i think they may ground on bumper if people are in the back

Post Thanks / Like

These ought to fit fine with the usual minor adjustments, that are invisible from the outside.

The bigger problem you'll have is ride/handling.

In which plane is the bumper only 1mm away? Get some decent pics up if you can?

Post Thanks / Like

its almost touching 1/2 way trev

whys the ride/handling different??
    is it worse then??

Post Thanks / Like

My old alloys with 195 45 16 didnt rub at all. The new ones ive fitted do if ive got four ppl in the car. Same tyres just need to raise my tortion bar a little the front are perfect.

Post Thanks / Like

the torsion bar is lowered 35mm same as the rest of the car matey, also yours is a monaco the bumpers are different
    Last edited by R5MJH; 15-04-2014 at 15:47.

Post Thanks / Like

They look flippin' great and at a good height.

Looks like you just need to trim out a wee bit from the curve of the rear bumper. Note that as the suspension travels down, the wheel comes forward away from the bumper ever so slightly anyway, so you wont need to remove much by the looks of it. Even if you left it, it will eventually rub free, though I'm not advocating that.

How close is the underneath of the arch extension to the top of the wheel?

Also, how close is the arch extension at the front of the wheel, i.e. the furthest forward part of the wheel/tyre?

Lastly, have you chopped out that section of the rear quarter up inside/behind the rear bumper? That will definitely need to come out but is a simple job.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post

How close is the underneath of the arch extension to the top of the wheel?

Also, how close is the arch extension at the front of the wheel, i.e. the furthest forward part of the wheel/tyre?

Lastly, have you chopped out that section of the rear quarter up inside/behind the rear bumper? That will definitely need to come out but is a simple job.

not quite sure what ya mean trev but the wheel could raise a maximum of about 2" further into the arch before grounding out the right side of the wheel is about 1 1/2" from the arch too the problem is the bumper, its practically sitting on it now, ive not chopped anything at the rear quarter matey

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like a cinch to get these on ok then. You just need to work the inside of the bumper edge and do a bit of trial and error to make sure you only take out what's required.

As regards the rear quarter metal, if you take the rear bumper off and refit the wheel and let it sit on the ground, you'll see if/where you'll need to chop. It's like an eyelet that sticks out. Unless it's been removed previously, which is quite likely.

Post Thanks / Like

You will need lower profile tyres for them to work with grinder action matey. To be fair it will be easy enough to sort but rear passengers may be a problem. Its probably the width of the rims thats causing problems.

Post Thanks / Like

just move the bumper back half inch by slotting the holes

Post Thanks / Like

sorry guys I haven't replied ive been out for a meal to coast to coast for my mums 65th, rob I presume you mean just drilling some more holes with the bumper off where you welded?? if that's the case ill grind the bumper edges too, will these corners be visable with the bumper off and still need doing??? I can do with the bumper off, thanx rob,jon and trev ill probably get this sorted asap as always I couldn't of done it without everyones help

greatly appreciated rtoc'ers mick

Post Thanks / Like

I never like moving the bumper back because of the way it looks but it's certainly a great option if it's simply not possible to do it another way.

Here is a pic to help visualise what I was talking about earlier.

1. It's possible to take out the inner lip of the bumper from the inside without hardly affecting how it looks from the outside. The wheel travels forward 'slightly' as the suspension compresses anyway. It will all depend on exactly how tight a fit these wheels are. Given that they are actually on without any bumper modding, I can't see it needing that much but you're in the best position to know.

2. Look up underneath and along the arch extension where shown. See how close things are between the outside of the wheel/tyre and the inside of the arch/bodywork.

3. As far as I remember, on Phase 2's the arch extension can be problematic along the line shown, especially when the suspension compresses. Have a squizz in this area, you may need to mod it a bit in a similar way as the rear bumper.

To help with 1, 2 and 3, with everything fitted, load up the rear with some heavy gear or a couple of fat blokes to see where any pinch points are, or not.

Let us know how you get on, and with pics

Post Thanks / Like

If it's (as you mentioned) just to get it through the MOT, can you not just put 2 of the old wheels on the rear axle (unless they're all f@cked? And just leave the turinis on the front if there's no probs? That should get you through the test and then look at a long term solution after!

Post Thanks / Like

ok trev i see what you mean, i wont move bumper until other options carried out, ill check gaps in a mo but from memory all others are atleast 1 to 2 inchs from arch on the points that you asked, im not using spacers on the rear thou as theres no need, the wheel is in the same position as the old wheels as they are both 7j, the only difference being the wheels 1" bigger and the offset being 38.5 so ony a tad bigger than standard so in affect 3.5mm more closer to them points, im hoping to get the grinder out later but will take it easy as the plastic may mis shape with the heat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fat roofer View Post
    If it's (as you mentioned) just to get it through the MOT, can you not just put 2 of the old wheels on the rear axle (unless they're all f@cked? And just leave the turinis on the front if there's no probs? That should get you through the test and then look at a long term solution after!
    this is the prob thou boss originally wheels are 15" these are 16" so theres no clearance on rear bumper, id have to use to different sizes which sure is a fail

Post Thanks / Like

If you're sure the only clearance issue is the rear bumper then you're laughing. This really isn't difficult.

The bumpers are made of some kind of fibreglass or other, not plastic. The heat from the grinder wont affect the fundamental mould/shape of the bumper itself. I can't say about the paint.

When I modded my rear bumper years ago, I was able to do it with the grinder to begin with but did the majority with sandpaper IIRC. I think I did it with the bumper in situ but with the wheel off. I just took a bit out, refitted the wheel, dropped it back onto the ground, checked clearance, rinsed and repeated.
    Last edited by Trevhib; 16-04-2014 at 12:23.

Post Thanks / Like

Lastly, has this bit been removed around the eyelet? If not, it's almost certain you'll need to grind this bit off, carefully, which means removing the bumper obviously.

Post Thanks / Like

Lastly, has this bit been removed around the eyelet? If not, it's almost certain you'll need to grind this bit off, carefully, which means removing the bumper obviously.
    robbie has just welded a new one os and the ns was ok but im sure they are not grinded now, do they deffo need doing? will the wheel travel that far?? dont the wheel miss it??

Post Thanks / Like

That's for you to find out and for you to tell us

I had to grind a section like that out of mine and I was on 15x7J with 195/50/15, lowered around 50mm.

I don't know what the offset was but my wheels sat very similar to your pictures to begin with...

Let us know

Post Thanks / Like

thanx trev ill be having a good look 2morrow and ill get some pix up matey, bumpers coming off anywayz as i want to see if the wheels hit the bumper corner holders etc

ill report back asap as i might need some more help

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R5MJH View Post
    this is the prob thou boss originally wheels are 15" these are 16" so theres no clearance on rear bumper, id have to use to different sizes which sure is a fail
    Stick 2 good 15s on the back and leave the 16s on the front! It isn't a fail if you've got different sizes on different axles, they just have to be the same size on the same axle! Like I said, get it through an mot and explore your options after. Some cars leave the factory like it! I.e. 18s rear and 17s front.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fat roofer View Post
    Stick 2 good 15s on the back and leave the 16s on the front! It isn't a fail if you've got different sizes on different axles, they just have to be the same size on the same axle! Like I said, get it through an mot and explore your options after. Some cars leave the factory like it! I.e. 18s rear and 17s front.
    i know what ya say boss but mike paid a same fortune for them as they got very good rubber on them, ill have a good look tom and access it, i was waiting for some other parts for the mot anywayz steve

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, you will need to raise the car up on the torsion bar, or grind all area's mentioned above, I have had 16's on all my cars. If you run 195 45 or 205 40, they will rub, 195 40 are better but still might rub the rear bumper mate.

The bumper rubs, sometimes the bumper mount will dig into the tyre & cause a blow out or sometimes the skirt will be close, not always though..

Post Thanks / Like

To fit 16's it doesn't need that much work on the rear to fit, my old yellow 5 had 16's to start with a was lowered 60mm and never really rubbed after a few slight mods

Mike, next time i see you at a meet i cna show you what you need to trim, honestly its not alot

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Markey Mark (BD) View Post
    To fit 16's it doesn't need that much work on the rear to fit, my old yellow 5 had 16's to start with a was lowered 60mm and never really rubbed after a few slight mods

Mike, next time i see you at a meet i can show you what you need to trim, honestly its not alot
    thanx mark, but i need to get this car mot'ed asap ive been out there today and my findings are good, well all i did is what robbie said and jacked the suspension right up it didnt touch anything at all, all i did was move the plastic in the slot to its furthest point, the bumper wont i think need grinding, but would give a few extra mm, i just need to slot the bolt holes by the look of it

2morrow ill put both 16" on the back and take it up the road over some bumps to test it, hopefully it will be all good fingers crossed

Post Thanks / Like

Am I the new Mart

I'm probably old enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Also best check for rubbage on full lock as thats a fail on the MOT as well buddy

Post Thanks / Like

Am I the new Mart

I'm probably old enough.
    no matey trev your not invisible like mart
    yep stevie ive got 5mm spacers on the front so should be ok sir
    thanx for all the help on this peeps ill get some more pics up asap
    i agree trev these wheels look awesome matey

Post Thanks / Like

quick update i drove the car today just along the road over the speed bumps too and it didnt ground out at all. the bumper is just moved back and i didnt grind anything, ive not extended holes to mount yet as i wanted to check it first before doing anything, ill finish it monday and get the pix up and the full SP

Post Thanks / Like

done the wheels/bumper today didnt grind bumper, only moved it but here it is now theres approx 10mm clearance on both sides now, also with the 5mm spacers on the front it dont touch body in any way on full lock

subaru wanted to make a appearance too pmsl

Post Thanks / Like

Ace. Glad it turned out to be as easy as that. Looks great

Post Thanks / Like

Ace. Glad it turned out to be as easy as that. Looks great
    thanx trev with all the help its not grounding atm but it maybe when theres people in the back but i can always mod later if it does ground out

Post Thanks / Like

Finally MOT time now? Looks pretty smart.

Post Thanks / Like

hopefully thursday matey, should be ok hopefully as most stuff is new lol, but we will soon find out wont we boss

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R5MJH View Post
    thanx trev with all the help its not grounding atm but it maybe when theres people in the back but i can always mod later if it does ground out
    No worries. No need to mod it if there's no need to mod it!

Post Thanks / Like

me and mike washed and waxed it today ready for mot tomorrow looks ok dont it!!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cars looking nice Mick, but when are you going to change that petrol cap

Post Thanks / Like

looking really nice the wheels really suit the car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nad-5GTT View Post
    Cars looking nice Mick, but when are you going to change that petrol cap
    the original broke so this was the replacement

Quote Originally Posted by B18ftMOJO5 View Post
    looking really nice the wheels really suit the car.
    thx boss, i think they look pretty good there from a clio 172 cup mk1 i believe

mike needs other bits of paintwork anywayz so it will get painted too

Post Thanks / Like

Looking good mate

Post Thanks / Like

Great rims for a gtt these are

The new "Williams Wheels"

I used to quite like my gtt's handling years ago with 16's i used 40 profile tyres, 5mm spacers at the front and also had rubbing at the rear i just let the tyres do the work for me tho

Post Thanks / Like

thanx for all the good comments guys well took for the mot today and it passed with no adviserys, he commented that he'd not seen a underneath floor so clean for many years

but i will need to grind something as when i went down a couple of massive bumps it briefly rubbed on the tyres going 40's would elimate this all together but not sure if mikes got the money atm, still least the missus gets her fiat seicento schmacher back