Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

f2n help

First post!

hi i have put the 1.7 carbed engine into my fuel injection 1.4 campus went to turn the key and nothing happens i have looked all over the web for anything about this conversion but cannot seem to find anything about it, does any body know if these cars check the fuel injection system before sending a signal to the starter motor to turn the engine? or know of anything why this isnt working?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: f2n help

no injection should fire if you pour some petrol in the car when starting...mine always have..

Post Thanks / Like

lol in the carb while starting that should have said.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure there was some info in the files section regarding the old prima 1.7 conversion. Also plenty of info on fuel pump relays etc. could relate to your issue.

Post Thanks / Like

The ecu doesn't affect the starter motor. Sounds like you have poor or wrong connections to the starter, or duff starter motor. Check engine earths

Post Thanks / Like

Its not the volvo engine me finks. Its the standard 1.7 carb one from the renault gtx or monaco. Runs with a twin carb has no ecu. Spray some easy start into the top of the carb if engine is turning.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

cheers everyone for the replies,

@matt cole i have removed the high pressure fuel pump as the carb needs a low pressure one, its a mechanical pump located on the back of the engine would this still need a relay?

@brigsy i have earth from battery to chassis then chassis to engine is this enough? if i were to connect another one where do you recommend i connected to and from? i will try a different starter motor tomorrow i have 3, a massive one which was on the campus a smaller one from a clio 1.8 16v which is the one on this engine and one exactly the same as the valver one which used to be on this engine.

@b18ftmojo5 you are right but i think this engine was in a r11 originally also car is not turning over yet.

here is where i am at,

i had two r5's the 1.4 campus and a 1.1 rio but the rio had the 1.7 engine in when i bought it, which i then swapped for a 1.8 16v engine then my headgasket went in the 1.4 so i put the 1.7 in,
    i used the same loom from the 1.4 connected the alternator up removed the fuel pump connected oil temp sensor and starter motor (little white wire and red wire) changed the tdc sensor as the 1.4 had female connections and i needed male connections so took the one from the old gearbox which used to be connected to the 1.7, fitted 1.7 renix unit everything is connected apart from radiator and vacuum hoses which should be enough to start the car but when i turn the key nothing happens, the radio works so does all the lights wipers etc,

i remember having the same problem with the 1.8 how i resolved it was running a live wire from battery to starter because all i could see was the starter exciter and then a red cable that went to the alternator after this the car started so i thought i would try the same thing on the 1.7,

i looked in the haynes manuel and it seems as tho there is a wire from battery to starter then to alternator so i connected a live to starter then when i put it on the battery there was sparks went inside the car keys were in my pocket not in the ignition and the handbrake light was on? so i thought il try turn the car over and see what happens and still nothing,

on the 1.4 loom the old carb,carbon cannister connections are still there but not connected to anything do you think this could be the problem? i could try strip em out or find the old loom that goes between the main engine loom plug and the interior loom also the old fuel pump wires are still there, do you know if this could be interfering? if i removed the fuel pump relay would that make the wires useless?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

also is there such thing as a starter motor relay?