Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Speed Season 2014

Ive put a film on YouTube of Doris off the start line where you can hear the launch control working. I had lowered the rev setting and I think I need to go lower still. My 64 foot times on Sat were 2.79, 2.76, 2.78 the best in class was David with a 2.75.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo7m...FPPt15Wd1v-asg

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Having fallen asleep trying to watch the Dutch complete the Brazillian humiliation I was grateful for the extra time in bed in the Sunday morning. All my kit was left at the venue in my tent and I had only a mile to drive. I wasnt expecting much from the day there was a large time gap between David and Andrew and a sensible approach would be to turn down the wick on Doris take a 100 points for second and save any undue strain on the car. Well where's the fun in that! So with all my reserve fuel in the car and the reserve tank fuel pump overide on, I lined up and gave her max attack. You might know Blyton from the Nat Day so this was my plan to attack the track. In 3rd for the first corner left foot brake late and hard, then come off the pedal to 50% pressure for the long turn in to a late apex, line up the chicane and accelerate hard at first holding a tight line and then running out to the 3 large cones to reduce the braking effect of turning. Run down the right side of the back straight, brake hard and into 3rd for the chicane by the 4th marker. Hit the first kerb of the chicane and if you get it right you end up on the exit kerb. ride that like a bullet down a barrel, cliping the exit cone. Power on to the top corner up to 4th and back to 3rd. hard braking and turn in a little earlier to use all the available exit. Careful to keep at least 2 wheels inside the white line on the exit. Stay in 3rd for the run to the double apex Bunga Bunga. Enter from well wide on the right, there is a bit of extra tarmac outside the white line, miss the first apex to hit the second and again run wide on the exit then head off to the entry of the mega fast open chicaine. Enter in 4th with hardly a lift straightline it and throw her left at the end. So many cars have gone over the exit that you can hardly see the white line now. Hope that you kept the inner wheels on the track and continue in 4th in a straight line to the finish corner. Late brake down to 3rd and aim for the apex cone and slide her through to stop the clock. A real blast and Doris performed all day without any coughs or splutters, she reved like a bike engine and gave it her all. In the end the best I could manage was a 76.99 against a best last year of 76.49. Dave peaked with a last run 75.89 which sent him home very happy and Andrew ran 80.27 with Heather just behind on 81.89.
    Wow what a weekend, I had tried a new seat postion which had worked very well so I was able to use the steering wheel to steer rather than to keep me in my seat and the brakes with new pads had been much better and I was starting to the confidence to brake later again. On the down side I still knew I had a problem somewhere.
    Last edited by RussellT; 15-07-2014 at 12:08.

Post Thanks / Like

Update. Last night I took the fuel sender out and there was a significant quantity of debris stuck in the filter and in the bottom of the chamber that surrounds it. I managed to get most of it out using a vaccum brake bleeder to suck it out. That can only help her performance. I also checked that the MAP sensor was accurate by connecting it to my Blood Pressure tester (a syphgmomanometer) for positive readings and the vaccum brake bleeder for -ve readings and watching the reading change on the ECU plot. It was spot on. I now have a cool way of checking my spyg remains accurate. I also reduce the launch control revs to 3.4K. I still hope to get the suspension checked and the sterring rack tightend up before the next event. I would also like to do something at the rear which tends to start bouncing if I go in too hard, destableising the front end.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a link to an in car by Matt AKA Fearless in his Honda S2000 driving Blyton just as I described .
    http://youtu.be/SVaPGT94U2k

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RussellT View Post
    Here is a link to an in car by Matt AKA Fearless in his Honda S2000 driving Blyton just as I described .
    http://youtu.be/SVaPGT94U2k
    Spotted you and Doris

Weres your footage? That would be great

Post Thanks / Like

There is some in car on my YouTube site

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6shA...FPPt15Wd1v-asg

Post Thanks / Like

Is that S2000 modified? I've heard folk who've owned be disappointed but this looks quick and great to drive.

Post Thanks / Like

Almost completely standard, they were standard last year but our powers that be decided they were to fast and took them out and put them with the Elise class, talk about a disincentive to enter anyway this year they have fiddled with the antiroll bars and engine mounts. They are just great chassis with a stonking engine.

South West Regional Rep Alastair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good mate well done, I can give you a steer on the rear end issues...

Post Thanks / Like

None event for me today. I arrived at 3 Sisters with smoke pouring out from under the bonnet. Last time I saw that it was just before the engine bay exploded into flames.

Opening the bonnet thankfully there was no flames but there was oil all over the gear box dangerously close to the turbo. I cleaned up the mess borrowed some spanners to check the connections for the pipes to the oil cooler but there was nothing obvious.

I decided to try the convoy run and revaluate after that, however by the time I got to the scrutineering bay the oil was back all overthe gear box and drippng onto the road. I had no option but to scratch.

I made it home 4 hours later with the help of the AA.

Post Thanks / Like

Update

Its gear box oil not engine oil looks like the recon gear box has failed mega

Next event on Sunday looking doubtful and season coming to a premature end.

Post Thanks / Like

A pin carrying one of the planetary gears has exited the diff through the gearbox casing. Diff and gearbox need rebuilding. Really tough having just had the gearbox reconditioned. Her in doors is not going to be pleased.

New clutch ordered from CGB (soaked in gear oil) next decision is down to what the diff looks like when removed ? my pit crew rebuilds or send to Corby Motorsport who bought the rights to the Gripper diff.

A really strange season 2 gearbox failures driving too events rather than competing. Im glad I stopped when I did and called the AA and at least I got that great weekend at Blyton with the family.

I might get out for some more events at the end of the year so watch this space.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear that Russel really look forward to your racing posts. hope your back on the road soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Aw crap Busted.

Really sorry to hear this Russell. Keep us up to date with the fixes.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Ouch! That's not good. Hope it doesn't take too long to repair.

Post Thanks / Like

The diff broke on 3rd August I got her back ready to go again at 5.00pm Friday the 5th September for events at Aintree the next day and 3 Sisters on the 7th. How tight is that? and a big thanks has to go to Bob and his team at CGB motorsport for providing a R11 turbo final drive and gear box having checked it was the correct crown wheel and pinion. Also the team at Shaw and Wrights St Annes and Gripper for turning around the diff in time. By the way I got to speak to Tom Seal the main man at Gripper whom I thought had retired and gone to France so it was nice to catch up with him. If anyone has a Gripper Diff and needs servicing etc I know where they are. Anyway you can imagine I was rather nervous about the first event after a rapid rebuild but off I went and arrived with more oil around the bell housing. Sh1t, but this was dirty oil not clean gear oil so close inspection revealed that it was the coupling to the oil cooler and with some borrowed spanners and some technical assistance we managed to staunch the flow if not stop the bleeding completely. Off I went first practice and promptly fell off trying to enter Bechers Bend. Unlike last time when I was in blind panic I knew exactly where I was going and headed for the gap around the side of the fence back onto the track and trundled around to regain my parking spot and remove the collected grass cuttings from the front grill.....

Post Thanks / Like

Paul Edwards the Welsh rally man was there in his Clio and John Early was double driving his Clio with Karl Wilson who has sprinted a subaru until it caught fire on a motorway. It was Karl who set the early pace with a 54.40. Next run I made it around and spent the straight watching the AF meter it didnt go above 12.5 however I could only manage 106 mph through the finish. Onto the timed runs and a good start was rather ruined by spinning off, yep at my favorite corner. This time I put a rear wheel on the grass and that sent me into a full 360 faster than a dog chasing its tail! Luckily I didnt hit anything and could regain the track. Paul was driving hard but could only manage 55.18 at 105 top speed due to a low ratio box. Karl was the class act on 54.22. My next attempt was a steady affair to at least get round and I stopped the clock at 55.18 which would have dead heated with Paul Edwards for 3rd if I hadnt managed a 54.24 and 109 top speed. Just 0.02 off the win and I lost it at the start 2.81 to Karls 2.71. Well the old girl held up and it was off to Wigan the next day when Ian "Butch" Butcher was going to join us.

Post Thanks / Like

I should also mention that I had a small oil fire when the breather hose at the frint of the carb sprung a leak. The T piece was cracked and crushed which I managed to fix by pushing a short piece of silicon hose inside the T piece. So in summary 2 oil leaks 1 small fire 1 off 1 spin and second place by 0.02 sec quite a day really.

That evening my main mechanic Andy came to fettle the oil couplings which was above the call of duty and I took the emulsion tube out of the carb and gave it a clean in the ultrasonic cleaner. Can you hear a barrel being scraped?

The forecast was good but the drive down was hampered by fog. I had plenty of fuel on board in anticipation of plenty of runs and I wasnt wrong. 2 practice and 7 timed runs we had in the end and for value for money and track time it was probably the best event ever. The day started well with just a minimal leak from the couplings easily dealt with by fastening some paper towels around them with cable ties. My first run was steady but Paul showed he meant business with a first run time 52.4 that I wasnt going to better all day. Ian is learning 3 Sisters and whilst I thought I might get close to him when I ran an identical 52.57 he went on to finally post a 51.44 whilst I ran into a tyre barrier! The secret of a good time at 3 Sisters is to be mega brave over the hill and to attack the corner onto the pit straight. I was on a charge but locked up coming down the hill and with no chance of recovery I put Doris nose first into the barrier. Its at times like those that you really appreciate a 6 point harness. Luckily my secret splitter performed its main task of tyre wall deflection admirably and I was left with only a dent in the nearside wing. After that I sat out for 1 run to give Doris a rest and a chance for both of us to cool down. I took the opportunity to film some of the cars including Ian and Paul. You can see that Paul takes a much better line through the corner where I crashed than others in the class. A rally man does like a cut! Here is the film http://youtu.be/a3yOB-xK140 1 month off now until the final event on Anglesey.

Post Thanks / Like

Good work Russell

Post Thanks / Like

glad to here your back racing

Post Thanks / Like

On the eve of the final weekend at Trac Mon always a highlight of the year. I got Doris back yesterday evening with new pressure pipes to the oil cooler and the turbo. I have also sourced a replacement Blitz Boost Controller solenoid from Japan via a guy called Jessie Streeter who buys bits localy for you and posts them out. All very professional and quick ssaved me 100 quid. A pair of new tyres on the front fresh geometry check. Looks like the run down to Angelsey will be in the pouring rain. So wish me luck RTOC!

Post Thanks / Like

The weekend started with a 5.30am alarm call to get up and out in the pouring rain for the drive to Angelsey, the promise was for better weather later in the day and sure enough as I exited the Conway tunnel there was no more rain. If you have never been to the Angelsey circuit Trac Mon the view as you drive into the paddock is nothing short of spectacular it really is a special place.
    https://twitter.com/turborussell/sta...009217/photo/1

Class 1b had no less than 10 entries from 2 lads in a e bay special Mazda RX8 to a young lad in a Clio Cup 172 on throttle bodies that had smoked me at Aintree so running plenty of poke. There were a couple of 306 Rallyes 1 of which is usually driven by Keith Minshall who beats me by the odd hundredth but today his Brother David was at the wheel.

I had a new set of Advan Neova ADO8 on the front and they would need scrubbing in, I also had the replacement Blitz Boost Controller solenoid to see if that helped the cars performance.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Trevor the picture just doesnt convey the majesty of the scenery. Anyway back tothe track. The first corner on the National circuit is a long sweeping right thats downhill on tyhe entry and sharply uphill onthe exit. It is epic especially when taken off the long downhill striaght. Thankfully I didnt have to deal with that particular challenge but there are a choice of lines. Narrow entry hug the inside. wide entry late apex and a middle of the road approach. I favoured the wide entry and tried to sweep around all the time accelerating in 3rd gear balancing the throttle with what the rear ofthe car was doing. A little slide is perfect but too much and you are going to have to correct and lose time. Then you hit a blind 90 left that arives very quickly into a long hairpin where a late apex helps you get on the gas for a really tricky corner called Peel. Its a tight in opening right that is over 90 degrees and time and time again you miss the apex and run wide comprimising your exit down over the brow to a steeply downhill entry into a tight lefthander that is again ver 90 degrees with an uphill exit, vital for the run down to the final hairpin. Its got everything fast sweeping corners with lots of gradient changes.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a link to my attempt at the 2 lapper back in 2007 http://youtu.be/1C6QpKqOfW0

Post Thanks / Like

My first run was gentle as I didnt know how my new tyres would react and I had a new brake calliper on the front aswell. All felt very good but unfortunately I didnt get a time. Top dog was Daniel Brady in his Clio cup on 68.66 with David Minshull just behind 68.74.
    Next run I gave her more beanz still at practice boost of 15psi and stopped the clock on 67.69 with Daniel in the lead on 66.42.
    The track was fully dry by now so full dry settings on the dampers race boost dialled in on the boost controller and after a committed run I stopped the clock at 66.51 to Daniels 65.82 I was second with David on 67.34. My second run was only a tad better 66.28 but Daniel couldnt improve. My 3rd run was more lary which usually means you are slower but it was my best time 65.48 and that tookthe win. We had a 4th run but only David ran a faster time 67.25. That was a really good win for me. The brakes felt good forthe first time in ages and the new boost solenoid valve gave me an extra 4 psi without changing any settings.
    The next day was going to be harder the rapid Cliuo would be able to exploit its advantage on the long straight and we were also to be joined by Paul " Handbrake" Edwards.

Post Thanks / Like

After a great evening of friendly banter in a local hostelry we all gathered for the final event 0f 2014. The weather was forcast to be dry in the morning with rain at luchtime. I had been on the phone to my mechanic and mwntioned that the rear was bouncing with the extreme load at the downhill left hander onto the long straight. He suggested I lowered the rear tyre pressures and this turned out to be a good call.

Post Thanks / Like

We were running the full international circuit. Here is a link to how it should be done with a ride onboard with Harewood Hill Climb instructor James Kerr. One point to note our finish line was at the end of the rumble strip so give us a couple of seconds leeway on James. http://youtu.be/JaMDQXfzvBM

The first timed run was in the rain so I left Doris at practice boost and was pleased to pip both Paul and Daniel with a low 120 sec. The later stopping the clock at an impressive 121 having recovered from an amazing oversteer slide at the second corner. I thought I had taken the lead but had a rude awakening when I checked the time sheets to find Andew Wright had taken his Michelin Pilot Sport 3 shod Pug in 120.1 sec and had beaten me.

We now had lunch, then had to wait whilst the British Sprint championship competitors girded their loins primed their paddle shifts scrubbed their tyres and even cooled their radiators with leaf blowers (they have them in F1 you know). 12 drivers took an age to take 2 runs. Eventually got another go. The track was dry and this was going to be the one, the final run ofthe year. Doris was ready, I was primed, unfortunately I soon discovered that I had lost the ability to change into 3rd gear!. Pressure it makes you do the daftest things, I just couldnt find 3rd gear I was convinced that my gearbox had broken again and gave up even trying to use 3rd. I ran 112 but Paul and Daniel were in the 108's.
    Gutted I just had to accept I had screwed up.
    I hadnt factored in Longton and District MC determination to maximise driver time and we were to get a 4th run. I had another chance!

Post Thanks / Like

I had to make this count. The start was OK second gear just gets to the first corner. I hit the apex accelerate through the exit and slowly calmy change ito 3rd gear. No issues I was back! . I hold 3rd for the second corner trail breaking into the left hander and power down to the banked hairpin. I leave my braking until Im beyond the pit exit line but with Doris new found ability to stop I could have gone further still. Never mind I get a good line through and exit from the hairpin. On to Church, another mighty corner you approach seriously quick in 4th a lift dab of break tip her in and hope the rear holds firm. Look for the exit and once there its full power down the curving straight. Doris can make it to the breaking zone in 4th. How far dare you go before you pile onto the breaks for Rocket? She squirms under the load and I fumble for 2nd but I getthe apex and a good line forthe hairpin that follows. Back to 3rd and Im heading for Peel. Dont be greedy I tell myself and check my speed forthe entry. I hit the apex rumble strip and power around and all the way over the brow and down the hill. More heavy breaking, the back end twitching away corrective steering movements holding it in check I feed her into the left hander and allthe way ontothe exit rumble strip. Im on full throttle but there is little response from Doris I glance at the AFR meter and its reading 13.9. Blast she is definitely leaning out. One final heroic effor onn the brakes for the hairpin and Im around and just reach the finish in second gear and 7K revs.
    What a blast 108.39. Im still 3rd but a decent time and respectibility. Daniel wins with 107.55 and Paul second on 108.22.
    The season is over, Ive had 5 seconds, 2 firsts, 2 gearboxes a diff,and 1 crash, mega competition from Ian Butch Butcher and still finish a credable 7th in the overall LDMC championship. Ive already ordered a fuel pressure gauge and booked the dampers into Leda for a service. Roll On 2015!

Post Thanks / Like

Fatastic write ups Russell. It sounds like a great scene to be involved in. Hugely competitive but friendly, whilst not being toooo expensive, in fact it appears to be great value. Thanks for always taking the time to update us on what's happened at the meets and rock on Doris

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Good stuff Russ Angelsey Trac Mon is an absolutely staggeringly pretty place. I was there in July for a track and it took my breath away. The circuit is really fun too, I thought.

Be careful with those AFR's!

Post Thanks / Like

This is Matt AKA Fearless tackling the National circuit
    http://youtu.be/HU2oEqhwUeI
    I note he favours the wide entry into school
    And this is him on the International
    http://youtu.be/O3u7xrh1iyg
    Note the position of the finish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Good stuff Russ Angelsey Trac Mon is an absolutely staggeringly pretty place. I was there in July for a track and it took my breath away. The circuit is really fun too, I thought.

Be careful with those AFR's!
    You are so right Alex, not a good situation at all. The plan is to rewire the circuit to the fuel pump, which you can hear change note when you put your foot on the brake, and fit the fuel pressure sensor. Then back to Scoff to see whats what with the fuel presure on his RR and see if I need a different fuel pump what the engine is doing now and whether he can tweak the map. By the way he doesnt know shes coming his way yet!
    A new fella at my local garage is into Cossies and he said that the first mod for them is to rewire the fuel pump.