Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Oil light problems

HI guys, got my engine in wired and plumbed up. I then took the spark plugs out to turn the engine over to get oil around system, new engine build. What I want to know is the wire going to the oil light switch colour orange? what I have noticed, if I put the orange wire to the light switch the oil level doesn't work if I change it around with the pressure switch wire which is a brown colour the oil level works but the light doesn't. Has anyone got any ideas what is wrong.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Oil light problems

anyone any ideas.

East Midlands Area Rep Mr Raider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Here you go:

The oil pressure sensor has 2 functions - unfortunately there are no markings on it to indicate what does what as far as I can see. And it breaks down like this -

Power goes from battery to ignition switch
    From ignition switch to the dashboard
    From the dashboard passenger foot well connector
    From foot well connector to connector of death
    from connector of death to sensor.

To put more detail into it -
    for oil pressure (1 wire)

The live goes from the battery through the oil warning lamp down to the switch as detailed above, and when there is no oil pressure, the switch is closed and grounds the live which brings the oil pressure warning lamp. I found this wire by method of grounding the pin out using the wiring diagrams until the lights came on.

For oil pressure reading (1 wire)

This follows exactly the same procedure than above, but there was no grounding this out as I pretty knew which pin it was by using the wiring diagram, this was then connected to the remaining post on the sensor.

Hey presto - a sound warning light and good solid pressure readings all round.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Karl, good bit of info. Iwill do the checks and see how I get on.

Cheers