Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Fuel pump wiring

Ok, I have a little problem with my fuel pump wiring, I having got any! Haha well I have the negative but the positive goes no where, I know that it has to be connected to a relay, but which one? Reading other threads on fuel pump relays, it's under the glove box, but according to Haynes it's not one of them, I have also read that the realy near the aei is it, it has 2 wires (yellow I think) going to that relay, I have connected the 'live' wire to a 12v connection and the pump, well pumps,
    Can anyone shed some light?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fuel pump wiring

The Fuel Pump Relay is under the Glove Box, but it is a stand alone relay and not mounted with the rest. It is also twice as big as the standard relays. Here's a link to the wiring diagram from the files section of this site:

https://www.rtoc.org/files/Technical%...uel%20pump.JPG

Note the it has 6 pins, but only 5 are used.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, in the Haynes, it mentions the speedo relay but not the fuel pump, I should be able to wire it up, thanks again
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by nate78; 30-03-2014 at 09:43.

Post Thanks / Like

The wiring diagram I put the link in for is from a Renault manual and is very accurate. Item 10 is normally the position of the Fuel Pump Relay on RHD cars.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking at the relays, which is the fuel pump? I will then hook the live terminal to the relay, thanks
    [IMG][/IMG]

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thought if better come back to my own thread,
    Anyway, while I was waiting I thought id see what connections on the various relays would get power when cranking engine, all the ones I tried didn't light up the probe, then started to see which wires were going to the relays by means of a continuity (spelling) test, while doing this I came across a dark green wire as part of the loom going to the back of the car, I looked at it thinking that it's the same colour as the wire going to the fuel pump,
    Tested it for power when cranking and what do you know it lit up!!
    So why someone snipped the power wire then added a bit of wire going to the ignition live I will never know?!
    Anyway I have joined the original wire and now the fuel pumps as should, just need to get her started now,

Post Thanks / Like

Happy days.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

UPDATE
    i think i know why they bypassed the relay, it may be faulty

fuel wasnt getting to the carb, i checked the power at pump and it was 0 while cranking, i took out the relay and put it back in and power was restored, battery is on charge at mo so will clean the connectors on the relay and try again.

thanks for everyones help

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

still havnt managed to get the engine started, ive asked in 'wanted ' for a fuel relay as yesterday when cranking the engine the fuel pumped stopped again,

when the fuel pump is working, i pump the fuel 3 times and crank, the engine just catches then dies, even if i press the accelerator,

would a fault aei cause this? i have another but think its off a phase 1, i assume that they are they same?

i have had the carb off and checked the mixture screw looks fine, have cleaned the idle jet and the other jets with loads of carb cleaner, am thinking about having it cleaned and rebuilt just to be sure.

any ideas

Post Thanks / Like

Won't hurt swapping over the aei if anything just to rule that out. Plus, can't hurt doing a carb rebuild as these things can clog up and at least you can add that also to tick off the list.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

That's what I was thinking, I'm going to pay a company to strip, clean and rebuild it with new gaskets etc but it's a 3 week turn around

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

sorry, im not good with electrics!

in the pic you can see the fuel pump relay connector, the red wire is live, when the engine is cranked, a pulse is sent to the realy from the tdc sensor via the aei to the relay to switch the current to the fuel pump,

i know that if i bridge the red wire and the white wire the pump should power up, i take its the white wire to the left of the red in the pic?

when cranking the engine what readings should i be seeing with the volt meter on each wire?

when i connect the volt meter to the black and red, i get 12.8v roughly

so if i connect the black probe of the meter to black on connector and the red probe to the top left i should see what reading? (when cranking the engine)

same for top right

bottom left

bottom right
    [IMG][/IMG]