Post Thanks / Like

Speeeeeeeedo

Not the budgie-smugglers, rather the speedometer (how many have already made that poor joke?).

Speedos: are they simple to fix? In other words, could a monkey (me) with a spanner (appropriate tools and a Haynes Manual) do it, or is it a trickier affair?

Cheers.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Speeeeeeeedo

Hi not much to fix on a speedo cable more so make sure its in the gearbox properly connection are clean and good and the wires not damaged . Had loads of problems with mine the needle bouncing about not reading the right speed. Ive gone to a digi dash now so no more problems.

East Midlands Area Rep Mr Raider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes mate, bit of patience, haynes and few tools you can fix it. Ideally if you have a spare set of clocks try them to see if its the speedo itself although its normally a bad connection.

Best places to start are:

Check and clean up the black 3 pin round plug connector on passenger side suspension turret.

Check the connector on the speedo itself.

If its not these, it could be the pick up in the gearbox which is up near exhaust held in place with a bolt, clean this black 'prong' up and refit.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome, cheers guys.

Will have a stab at it and report back with my failure.

Post Thanks / Like

we had this in the past a couple of times, once it was the gearbox sensor the other the actual dash, in the past ive cut out the 3 wire plug and soldered instead