Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Renault 5TS Race Car

I didn't really want to sell this, but I bought a TS I would rather keep, and I don't need two... It was a hard choice.

The history of this car is pretty well know to us (My Dad).
    As most will know, my Dad won the TS championship in 1985 and became known for preparing front-running cars. As it turns out, this is what he built his reputation on, and it continues today.

David Abbitt bought a TS road car to my Dad and had it converted to a race car (Dave briefly got in touch and said he bought it from Maidstone with an MOT and may still have the number plates).
    It is a very early R5 - 1978 - with brass diamond chassis plate.

He eventually won the championship in it - the last year there was ever a one-make TS championship:

Dave racing it in period:

As you can read above, the car actually gently rolled in the gravel at the bottom of paddock hill. I cannot stress how superficial this is! It also has a battle scar on the LH rear quarter.
    Other than that, this car has nothing to hide, is absolutely solid and in great condition.

It was then bought by Andre Severs who raced it with his wife. It was resprayed inside and out, and my Dad did lots of the mechanical re-commissioning. It featured in a multi-page magazine article - I think I have it somewhere.
    Andre then sold it to a chap who did a couple of races in it (pic below).

I bought it last year because i couldn't resist - given the history and connections.
    It has been stored ever since.

It could do with some work, depending on what you would like to do with it, although not too much... just general tinkering.
    I will be rebuilding the carb, so it will be running/idling a bit better than it does currently. I have also applied for the V5, so it will come with that.
    It has AVO dampers all round and a spare Fergat wheel. Other spares can be negotiated.

The body is exceptionally good. If you have ever stripped a Mk1 renault 5, you will know that the rust hides everywhere - this one doesn't have any.

It is EXCEPTIONALLY rare - there are no Renault 5 TS's on the road anymore - zero. And there may only be one other registered with the DVLA - sorn'ed. And then there is my recent purchase (a TS rally car).
    In race trim, they produce 90+bhp. This is a good one, with a Mark Fish engine - previous championship winner.
    A non-sunroof shell will be worth loads in the future, as people will want to re-shell their rusty Gordini's - try finding one!

This will be the best Mk1 R5 shell you will be able to buy, and it comes with the history and rarity.
    Get it on the road (raise the suspension) and tidy a few bits and pieces and you will double your money in the coming years.
    I would ideally like it to go to a club member who will look after it and get it on the road.

Price is £1800 - ono. I do not want to barter on price. It will be advertised for more elsewhere.
    Car is based near Harlow, Essex.

Viewings encouraged, but I am very busy with work at the moment. Hopefully we can sort an appropriate time.

PM me for my number if you want to chat
    Last edited by Sam Fish; 21-03-2014 at 16:14.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Renault 5TS Race Car

Ps:
    It actually has 2 spare Fergat wheels (also very rare)
    If it sells for £1500, I will include a standard white front bumper (it is currently a fibreglass Gordini replica, although I have the mould to make more) and indicators needed to get it on the road. I also have a spare set of VERY rare early TS clocks that could go back in it so it would have a speedometer.

It could be supplied with an MOT, service and on-the-button for an negotiated amount.

Pictures from when it was owned by Andre:

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

And two other articles mentioning the cars results - with Dave Abbitt driving:

Post Thanks / Like

That looks awesome Sam. If only I had a bit more room and a more understanding wife. Good luck with the sale buddy.

Post Thanks / Like

Mint that! Proper oldskool racer.. Love it! Good luck with sale mate

Post Thanks / Like

no money... buuugger

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys.

The shell is in such good shape. And a pre-1980 Mk1 Renault 5 is very rare.