Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    ShaneP

Re: Any bmw fiends on here?

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Even if they are fitted with them they are relatively easy to remove. The worst problem i have found with the E46 is the GM control module, when that starts to go the fun really begins, not fun to fix.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have an e39 530d sport. Its a manual and its my daily driver. Returns about 40mpg round town just less with a bit of spirited driving. Taking it easy on the motorway can return about 50mpg. Its had a remap which improved the performance and also the economy a little. Munches through rear tyres though, just gone through a pair of Michelins in 15k.

Would love an e39 m5 or a 540 sport but the fuel costs would be a be a shock after owning the diesel.

Thats the dealers name on the plates in the photos, not a private reg!
    Last edited by Lewis; 14-03-2014 at 20:50.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alpina View Post
    Love the individual, along with the e36 evo. I never owned one, but always lusted for one. Probably has some of the best front seats ever attached to a car.
    Wait until you do a long journey in them - they may look cool but they aint comfy!

I've had my E36 M3 evo for years now. Good motor. Picked it up from off ebay in 2007ish (can't remember exactly when..!) for £3.5k. Turned out that the geezer worked at ktec...!

Spent around £1500 sorting new koni dampers/eibach springs, all the suspension bushes (there are a lot of them....!), brakes and a few other bits and bobs. Done about 50k in it since, never misses a beat and just put fuel and oil in it. They aren't expensive to run at all really, a doddle to look after. Returns an easy 30mpg on the motorway but rubbish around town. I'm getting 16mpg on my run to work..! Averages out at abut 27mpg all in. Insurance is only £300 too!!

It still drives really tight and the engines on them are simply amazing, nothing else comes close for the noise and drivability. You really need to rev it hard though, a bit like a vtec. Needs watching in the wet though as you have more power than grip usually and no electronic nonsense.

Had a few goes in the e46 M3, hated the drive-by-wire throttle, ruins the car completely and detracts from that engine.

Not sure what I'll replace it with when the time comes.....!

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slammed 66 View Post
    Be sure to double check that dale. Two of my friends are 330d addicts. Between them the own 2 W plate 330Ds (both 184) a 03 330D (205 iirc) a 330CD and a e92 320d touring. Every one of those has been fitted with swirl flaps and now deleted with a kit from some place in Sheffield.
    I am going to take apart the inlet manifold as want to clean it up anyway but this is the info which just got off from bmwforums about the swirl flaps

The engines

M47 engine(136bhp non common rail vp44 injection pump) DO NOT HAVE swirl flaps

M47N common rail engine (including M47N/M47TU/M47TUD20)(150bhp face lift model August-September 2001 onwards) has flaps

M57 engines(M57D)(525d & 187bhp 330d) have no swirl flaps on the manual cars BUT AUTOMATICS DO

M57N engines(M57TUD)(525d & 330d 204bhp) have swirl flaps both manual and automatics

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    I have an e39 530d sport. Its a manual and its my daily driver. Returns about 40mpg round town just less with a bit of spirited driving. Taking it easy on the motorway can return about 50mpg. Its had a remap which improved the performance and also the economy a little. Munches through rear tyres though, just gone through a pair of Michelins in 15k.

Would love an e39 m5 or a 540 sport but the fuel costs would be a be a shock after owning the diesel.
    Thats nice. Are they genuine parallels?

My cousin had an m5 the same time as I had my m3. I think he threw around 3k on servicing/repairs on it in 18 months. It was a very different car to drive than the m3, but epic all the same. I remember me and him sneaking out of a family gathering to go and race each other The conclusion was that the m5 was slightly quicker to 135mph.

Values seem to have lifted from the bottom they reached around 18 months ago. You just cant go wrong with a v8 manual car with 400bhp(even if it weighs around 1800kgs) if you are willing to put up with potential bills.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes genuine parallels, I've got a set of folding mirrors and high gloss trim to fit
    Your right about M5 prices they seem to be on the up.