Post Thanks / Like

Running temperature

I've just read this article- http://www.renault5gtturbo.com/maintenance.htm

Regarding the coolant temp gauge, it suggests you should never let the temp go above the 3rd line.

I've got a standard thermostat and standard fan switch and mine goes a few mm above the 3rd line before the fan kicks in and brings it down again.

I've done 100+ miles in it so far without any issues, but last night after driving it for a few miles and putting it back in the garage, the water boiled out the top of the coolant bottle, even though the temp on the gauge was just above the 3rd line.

Thinking it could be an air lock, but the radiator was hot at the top (top pipe didn't have water in though), and the fan didn't kick in so i don't think it was actually hot enough to activate the fan.

Could it be true that because the temp has gone over the 3rd line i've damaged the headgasket?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Running temperature

To answer the question directly - I very much doubt it....

I've had 2 scenarios where the OE temperature gauge has been above the 3rd line - ONLY as you say by a 'few mm' and not to the point of the red light coming on!

1) traveling to ND it was a seriously warm day 30 degrees'iosh in fact, and was caught in a traffic jam for around 1hr1/2, the temperature was constantly sitting slightly above the 3rd line, with the fan constantly running.....but without any airflow it was unable to decrease the temperature to below the 3rd line.

And that had not ill effect on the car.......because......

2) the next day at ND I did a full track day in the 30degree heat, after perhaps 6/7 laps the temperature would then stay at a constant just above the 3rd line.

Couple of run down laps and everything was sweet as a nut again..........and I've not had problems since.

Post Thanks / Like

Just to add, personally I leave my car idling for a while before I switch it off.

think it's good practice to use the car boost or cruising, pull up, and just let the fan do its thing on idle before killing the ignition straight away......

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply, I thought it was OK above that line but just wanted to check.

I always adjust my driving style in all my cars and wind down a bit before I get home. I drove the 5 pretty sympathetically and left it running outside my garage for a couple of minutes before I reversed it in and switched off. Temp was just above the 3rd line but not enough for the fan to kick in, then I noticed the water dribbling out the bottom.

Strange one...

Post Thanks / Like

I would be checking the coolant circuit for leaks around dodgy clips and the like and try bleeding the system up a few more times.

Also worth bleeding up with the engine running, from cold of course

Post Thanks / Like

Since putting on the oe front grill and my meshed front bumper ( the other front was an unmeshed ktec bumper) my car now runs on the third line all the time.

I've had no problems with it also

Post Thanks / Like

Update...

She's fixed!

Turns out the rubber seal in the header tank cap was distorted so I can only imagine that under pressure it was allowing water to escape once it was warm.

Must have over tightened it with my vice like rape grip.

Anyway, re-fitted the cap, just nipped it up, bled the system of course and she's running absolutely beautiful. Drove her pretty much all day sunday and she didn't miss a beat. Even fitted my one piece downpipe and 2.5" side exit, and uprated actuator

Next on the list is the AFR gauge next month and need to wire up my omex

Really, really starting to enjoy this car now, feels so good to finally have it on the road and the boost is so addictive! The handling is a bit wooly, need some new wishbones and bushes, brakes etc, but that will all come soon