Post Thanks / Like

5 GT Turbo - boom!

First post!

Hey guys.

As this section suggests, this is my 'hello' post.

Just bought a 5 GTT that needs a wee bit of work. It's going to take a few quid to get it up and running, but I'm looking forward to making it happen.

Bought it mainly for a rally in June and to relive my youth (of not being able to afford a GTT or a 205 GTi when 17, ha), but will elaborate on that later in the right sections.

My knowledge of motors from this era is limited to Vauxhall Novas unfortunately, so no doubt I'll be asking you all tons of (daft) questions over the coming weeks.

Cheers.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 5 GT Turbo - boom!

Weyyyyyyyy another Essex boy to join the crew. Welcome aboard chap. Where abouts ru?

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the club. Rally car? Sounds good, what plans do you have?

Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

How could you boys tell I was from Essex? Haha. I'm from a tiny ends-of-the-earth village between Colchester and Chelmsford, but now live in London.

As for the rally, I think I might have made it sound much cooler than it is.

It's a 'banger cruise' basically. Buy a car for around £250, give it some TLC and then do a three day drive from Belgium through Switzerland and Italy to France. Had a lot of folks tell me a a 5 GTT won't even make it so I'm well up for proving them wrong. Plus the little car I've bought (I think) is in relatively decent nick.

So that's the plan: get my 5 GTT up and running for June. Hoping it's going to be a ball. Proper looking forward to giving it some beans and hearing the old dump-valve hiss - I'll be 17 all over again! Ha.

Cheers for the welcome aboard, chaps.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome squire. Your in the right place!

South West Regional Rep jesus in the seat of a 5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

sounds great buddy...ill donate a door for the cause...youll have to collect it though.., that 5 will go to the "ball"....welcome..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Magsimus View Post

How could you boys tell I was from Essex? Haha. I'm from a tiny ends-of-the-earth village between Colchester and Chelmsford, but now live in London.

As for the rally, I think I might have made it sound much cooler than it is.

It's a 'banger cruise' basically. Buy a car for around £250, give it some TLC and then do a three day drive from Belgium through Switzerland and Italy to France. Had a lot of folks tell me a a 5 GTT won't even make it so I'm well up for proving them wrong. Plus the little car I've bought (I think) is in relatively decent nick.

So that's the plan: get my 5 GTT up and running for June. Hoping it's going to be a ball. Proper looking forward to giving it some beans and hearing the old dump-valve hiss - I'll be 17 all over again! Ha.

Cheers for the welcome aboard, chaps.

Welcome mate

Sounds like an awesome plan, I've done similar but no one bought 5's........it'll be a great experience

In fact come to think of it, we bought 3 cars - R19, 106 and a 5 series Bmw........so yes 2 French, 1 German motors, and it was the bmw that broke down in France and bearly did 150miles

As I've put in your project thread, for added realiability just take some time to check the electrics, wiring looms, connector plugs......as they are 20 something years old there is a good chance of corrosion

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard chap. Get your credit card out ready. You'll need it

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome along, bring your Renault-owning friends

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the club. Rally sounds like a good excuse for a driving hols with the kids. Post some details if you can. Nice car you got there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jesus in the seat of a 5 View Post
    sounds great buddy...ill donate a door for the cause...youll have to collect it though.., that 5 will go to the "ball"....welcome..
    Ha, thanks Jesus - might have to take you up on that offer if I can't find a door and fancy a drive to Dorset.

Cheers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    Welcome mate

Sounds like an awesome plan, I've done similar but no one bought 5's........it'll be a great experience

In fact come to think of it, we bought 3 cars - R19, 106 and a 5 series Bmw........so yes 2 French, 1 German motors, and it was the bmw that broke down in France and bearly did 150miles

As I've put in your project thread, for added realiability just take some time to check the electrics, wiring looms, connector plugs......as they are 20 something years old there is a good chance of corrosion
    Yeah, well looking forward to it. I've done a few driving trips before (did Europe in an old VW camper and Route 66 in a V6 Mustang convertible - go on the cliches!), but am particularly looking forward to this one in the 5GTT. There's something about old technology and feeling the drive that I miss from old motors. Probably won't be saying that after three days of bumpy, noisy driving with no power steering in a car I can barely fit in, ha.

My mate's just bought an old Scooby for the trip. Great car, but no plucky pocket rocket like a 5GTT. Going to be a good laugh and some great roads. Just need to make sure, like you said, the car is tip top - as much as it can be for an old car - before I depart.

Cheers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CHUNK The Goonies View Post
    Welcome aboard chap. Get your credit card out ready. You'll need it
    Ha, yeah. The mrs wasn't too impressed when I showed her the car. I won't repeat what she called me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post
    Welcome along, bring your Renault-owning friends
    I'm the only one, ha - my mates think I'm a berk for picking a 5GTT for the trip. Sod 'em .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by B18ftMOJO5 View Post
    Welcome to the club. Rally sounds like a good excuse for a driving hols with the kids. Post some details if you can. Nice car you got there.
    I haven't got any nippers at the moment and I'm politely pied the mrs (she's not a fan of driving anyway, so technically I was being considerate ), so will be a jolly up with three chums.

Here's the rally I'm doing (hopefully). It's bascially the Gumball Rally for poor people, ha.

http://montecarloorbustrally.com/