Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: GTT on Fifth Gear tonight!

First post!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve - Raider View Post
    Anyone seen the comments from Matthew Tiller has made on the on the following Fifth Gear streaming link??

To save you the bother of clicking there have a read below:

Matthew Tiller 14 January 2009 14:07

Hello,

A real shame, I thought, that the Fifth Gear team chose to race the new Twingo against a 5 Turbo with knackered old tyres as I don't think the challenge provided a fair reflection of the cars performance. There are plenty of well maintained Fives out there running on new tyres (mine for one). I know I shouldn't take it personally but I have! Additionally ,a final point is that when the R5 left the factory the turbo was set to boost at a very conservative 6psi and will run comfortably at pressures of up to 12psi without causing damage or excessive wear to other components.

So, please conduct the same test only this time use my car which standard throughout (no mods) and has a brand spanking set of tyres.

Are you a member of the RTOC Matthew??

If so I look forward to discussing your criticisms of my car at the next RTOC meet....

Does anyone know the :sourgrapes: smiley??

I am the person in question and I made the post on the Fifth Gear website.

I would like to say that I made my comments in reference only to the information presented on the Fifth Gear programme where they stated that the tyres were "old rubber".

After reading the posts on this site it is clear that I made my comments whilst not being in possesion of the facts and I now feel stupid for doing so. I therefore apologise unreservedly.

I did however think that your car looked stunning on the programme and I was extremely happy that the R5gtt was featured on prime time national TV. Anybody who successfully raises the profile of this beautiful french beast deserves a massive pat on the back imo.

So please accept my apology, it was never my intention to cause offence to a fellow 5 turbo owner.

Post Thanks / Like

Fair play Matthew. Nice to see some adult responses on this site sometimes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Tim View Post
    Fair play Matthew. Nice to see some adult responses on this site sometimes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BriC View Post
    Disagree. Most people who don't know much about cars (which is the vast majority of people) just see it as an old chav mobile. That's from my experience anyway.
    ditto

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Mart View Post
    Matthew Tiller - What a complete & utter fecking cheese flavoured prick of the highest order.

At 6psi, the Twingo would've definitely trounced the gtt, let alone giving it a reasonable crack running 1bar, and to be fair, in the wet, on standard 13" rims, it's not really gonna make that much difference which tyre is being used; the Twingo would probably still win.

They also left the factory with anything from 5-10psi boost (sharky French tolerances), and they'll run considerably more than 12psi without inflicting damage or excessive wear if set up correctly.

It would be a fairer test in the dry, but regardless, the motor got featured on tv, which is always a nice thing to see, and it put on a bloody good show considering the technology of a gtt is 25 years old at best.

Well done Steve with the 'invite'. Let's hope they reply back

Hello Mart,

I can't say I've ever been refered to as a complete & utter fecking cheese flavoured prick of the highest order before, but I guess there's always a first time.

I think you may have been a little bit quick to jump down my throat though, although I do now understand that the comments I made on the Fifth Gear website may have caused offence to yourself, steve and other, better informed, users of this site and for that I am sorry. In future I will refrain from making ill informed comments about other peoples cars!

As for the Information regarding the boost settings on the GT after leaving the factory etc. I was only going on information provided to me by various sources such as Mark Fish who used to race the R5GTT and the guy at CGB Motorsport. It is my understanding that although it is possible to run the standard 5 turbo at pressures of up to 15psi without causing things to explode/break/drop off, this may result in, for example, the clutch wearing out significantly quicker than it would with the boost set lower.

Am I wrong? If I am then I will be forced to take my motor back to Mr Fish and have the boost ramped up immediately.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tillax View Post
    First post! So please accept my apology, it was never my intention to cause offence to a fellow 5 turbo owner.

What a first post though!!

Welcome to the club mate & fair play for stepping forward & making yourself known!! Big respect to you for that!!

All is cool for school now mate.

So get some pics up of your car in your profile & add a new posting to the Say Hello board to introduce yourself.
    Last edited by Big Steve - Raider; 16-01-2009 at 12:50.

Post Thanks / Like

Ahhh feel the love.

Big Steve. He's large as f**k, but soft as cheese.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Am I wrong? If I am then I will be forced to take my motor back to Mr Fish and have the boost ramped up immediately.
    Matt you'll soon learn on this website how to do all the work yourself & save taking it to any tuners.

You'll get nothing but respect from Mart when he see's your postings on here but he's been around these cars since nelson was a boy hence the reason he's got his own smiley --> & knows an awful lot.

Post Thanks / Like

Ahhh feel the love.

on a cold day

Post Thanks / Like

Ahhh feel the love.

Lol! I'm feeling the love, what a nice Friday afternoon

Welcome to the club Tillax, enjoy your stay

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I must BREAK you!!!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve - Raider View Post

What a first post though!!

Welcome to the club mate & fair play for stepping forward & making yourself known!! Big respect to you for that!!

All is cool for school now mate.

So get some pics up of your car in your profile & add a new posting to the Say Hello board to introduce yourself.

I shall give my car the mother of all cleans this weekend and take some photographs and post them up.

...and my god this site is busy, I'm worried that joining may have a negative impact on my work life!

Post Thanks / Like

...and my god this site is busy, I'm worried that joining may have a negative impact on my work life!
    Haha, I'm glad you've realised that already. Prepare for your work to suffer

Post Thanks / Like

Matthew, welcome to the club.

Don't take my comments to heart too much; I wear my heart on my sleeve when it comes to gtt's & the rtoc, simply because I have a strong passion for them both, and thus it p1sses me off no end when I see one or the other being bad mouthed. Your post on 5th Gear's forum came across as arrogant with a touch of 'my car is better than yours' vibe to it, although, in hindsight, now you've posted on here & shown true colours, maybe that isn't the case after all.

Mark's a great guy, and for sure knows the gtt's inside out, but in fairness he only ever built them for racing (of which he's done an awesome job over the years), yet maybe he didn't/hasn't fully explored the power potential of the c1j. If that were the case, as a tongue in cheek example, I'm sure we'd have seen a Mark Fish prepared gtt running 11's or 12's at the Pod before now.

Sure, running more power than o.e will always have a detrimental effect on the engine & running gear; that can be said of any car, but there's plenty of gtt's out there running double the o.e power figure, that are as reliable as the day they left the factory. For sure, there's plenty of aftermarket parts available to cope with the increase in power, although it's possible to get good power levels retaining/using o.e parts - Pistons & liners being a good example there.

Anyway, fair play for stepping up & showing face on here, and as you'll find out over time, it's a happy place to be, and that I'm not so much the obnoxious **** that you're probably thinking I am from first impressions.

Look forward to seeing those pic's of your gtt.

Committee Member James_Surridge G1 5 GTT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Really good to see the boys "playing nice"....beats the bad old days of people "gobbing off" willy nilly eh Mart???

Post Thanks / Like

Indeed, mainly because the majority of the sh1t stirrers have long since gone.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

no im still here lol

Post Thanks / Like