Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Alternator/Battery

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Well have a little drive on Friday, noticed the battery warning light kept flashing on and off, came to start the car yesterday and on the first start lots of clicking, 2nd attempt nothing.

Battery and Alternator????

I have put the battery on charge to rule out and beginning the quest for an Alty (not that expensive from what I've seen)... Anybody any suggestions for make etc?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Alternator/Battery

I have alternator thats fairly new mate if you want it? was on my c1j setup that no longer need as going f7..

Post Thanks / Like

usually if its the s/motor it wont even click!! sounds like bat or connection

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by michael tierney View Post
    usually if its the s/motor it wont even click!! sounds like bat or connection
    Agreed. I'd say its a shite earth. Put a jump lead from the negative and to a good earth on the engine/gearbox. Try it then- if it works you know it's your earth connection.

Post Thanks / Like

The battery had always been a little pants mate on this car, if it starts ok once it's charged then that's your answer, never had any alt problems with it, also make sure the fan belt is adjusted properly.

Should have around a fingers width movement on the longest part of the belt at the front.

does the battery light flicker and is it at high revs?

Post Thanks / Like

Get your volt meter on the battery mate.Before you start her up and after

Post Thanks / Like

Voltage regulator will be the problem. Doesn't start as alternator isn't charging enough.

Can be repaired cheaply with a new heavy duty part if needed

Post Thanks / Like

With a voltmeter on like Jon says and engine running it should read 14-15volts.
    If alternator isnt charging the battery it will be around 11/12volts

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheers for the responses gents, I'll need to part with some pennies as don't have a volt meter in my toolbox yet I know only too well it should have been one of the first things in there, however I'm a sucker for a shiny new socket-set

Pssssst Don't panic that is where my fetish for shiny bits starts and ends, so the car is not going to be chromed up

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny5 View Post
    With a voltmeter on like Jon says and engine running it should read 14-15volts.
    If alternator isnt charging the battery it will be around 11/12volts
    13.85 v is ideal- 15v is a bit too high. On initial starting it should 14-14.6 maximum.

Obviously check your earths & connections- if there is no earth it won't charge. Buy a multimeter & do some tests mate. A flickering intermittent light says bad to connection to me, but it could be a number of things.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheers Topcat, will do and update

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Can I ask a daft question?

How do I check an earth connection using a Volt Meter? As at current I would look for a wire going to the chassis and just give it a waggle to ensure it was secure, which I'm sure is not the correct method lol

Trader
    Nocturnal Developments
    Post Thanks / Like

Multi meter on live and earth of battery, then move neg probe around to gearbox, block etc and should read same voltage.
    Common fault is earth strap by brake servo. Could be that, alt wiring or the belt

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

So my next daft question would be, how do I know where to move the Neg Probe to next, other than the ones you have kindly highlighted?

Trader
    Nocturnal Developments
    Post Thanks / Like

Live goes on live, everywhere else metal should join back to earth. The engine has an earth strap as its on rubber mounts, but generally everywhere should read the same.
    If the light is flickering then I assume its not a permanent fault like a broken earth strap, but like a loose one (but prob won't be) so will be a harder fault to find

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

And that is just what I didn't want to read.... Any reply to a thread including the word "hard" especially where electrical is involved and I'm screwed lol...

Just ordered a volt meter off fleabay for £2.98 Bargain... So will begin the testing once it arrives and mither, ahem I mean report back my findings.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Stu herts had the same problem, it was his earth strap- very common fault, I had it on my old 5 too. Test the obvious & common faults first

If you get stuck send me a pm with your mob no & ill talk you through some tests.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Gent Topcat....