Committee Member
    Events
    Post Thanks / Like

Water cooled turbo on a phase 1

Currently I have just an air/oil cooled blower fitted which is fine for the purpose of running the engine in but it won't be long before I upgrade to something like a tomcat t25 or a t28.

I would like to keep the cooling system looking all phase 1 if possible without having to swap to phase 2.

Is it possible to run a water cooled turbo whilst still retaining the phase 1 header tank and if so where would you run your hoses to?

Thanks

Ross

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Water cooled turbo on a phase 1

Quote Originally Posted by Slammed 66 View Post
    Currently I have just an air/oil cooled blower fitted which is fine for the purpose of running the engine in but it won't be long before I upgrade to something like a tomcat t25 or a t28.

I would like to keep the cooling system looking all phase 1 if possible without having to swap to phase 2.

Is it possible to run a water cooled turbo whilst still retaining the phase 1 header tank and if so where would you run your hoses to?

Thanks

Ross
    I'm not 100% on the phase 1 coolant set up so not much help there, but I know you can run a water cooled blower without said water cooling with not many issues. Main one is the oil will go black and degrade quicker, hence the difference in oil change intervals for phase 1/2, phase 1 is 3k intervals phase 2 6k.

So for me you could just blank off the coolant unions and run the coolant system as a normal phase 1.

Committee Member
    Social Media
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slammed 66 View Post

Thanks

Ross
    Speak to johnp on here mate, or john Popplewell on fb group, he has a phase 1 coolant setup on a water cooled turbo

Committee Member
    Events
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks lee. I'll drop him a pm later

Post Thanks / Like

the return to the expansion bottle is cut, and that feeds the in/out of the water to the turbo.

Committee Member
    Events
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
    the return to the expansion bottle is cut, and that feeds the in/out of the water to the turbo.
    Cheers mark. So tee into the top return line to provide a water feed to the turbo and where should I connect the water return line to?

Ross

Post Thanks / Like

As mentioned last night Ross return from turbo goes to header tank top connection. It will be very hot return from turbo so use of silicon lined hose or aftermarket silicon and watch for heat damage to header tank as I mention before.

Committee Member
    Events
    Post Thanks / Like

So feed and return from the top header tank pipe? Just tee'd in a few inches apart? Or am I way off as I suspect?

Post Thanks / Like

Way off, pipe that currently runs to top port on header tank needs routing to lower turbo union and higher turbo union feeding back to top port of header tank.

Committee Member
    Events
    Post Thanks / Like

Gotcha.

Thanks Jon.