Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Painters / Painting Questions.

So after too much Alcohol over Christmas, I've decided to re-start the restoration of my 11 Turbo Project and am currently looking at options to get it re-sprayed.

Q1) If any of you can Strip Paint/paint cars/know painters/recommend painters, then please get in touch?? It would be nice to try & keep this in the club

I'm looking to strip the car down to the bare bones (like I did my Raider) and then a full in/out/top/bottom respray. Looking to get the paint removed to ensure a good job is done but am unsure what the best way to go about this is?? Dipping/Soda Blasting/Thermal etc...?

Q2)
    If any of you have any thoughts on the best way of removing paint then let me know?

One thing that's always puzzled me is why Renault decided to cover the VIN Number stamped on the Suspension Turret with a little piece of Plastic Film :

Q3) Any recommendations on the best way to replicate this when you're re-spraying the car??

Thank You

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Painters / Painting Questions.

I said to someone about dipping and they said if all the chemicals aren't washed away and remain in joins etc, it'll fudge your paint job... It's worth a google to rule out if that's just pub talk. I expect a factory dip is pukka, but private ones are only as good as the people doing it.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I've often wondered about the VIN/plastic myself.

I guessed it was so it didn't rust away as the VIN was stamped after painting and may have exposed bare metal.

Typical French bodgery

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've heard soda blasting is very good, not had any personal experience though..

Post Thanks / Like

The plastic would be to stop the vin being filled with dirt and help prevent corrosion.

Committee Member
    Events
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't reccomend anyone Steve, or offer any advise as bodywork is a dark art best left to the professionals and not numptys like me. However I'm real pleased to see you doing a resto on your 11.
    If it turns out half as nice as your raider it'll be something special

Good luck with it sir

Post Thanks / Like

If you buy practical classics there is loads of company's in the back of the magazine that do dipping and blasting ,there is a company in Warrington that does blasting but the car needs to be shell only and then transported there

Post Thanks / Like

me and Darren use LW smarts in Alfreton, pukka job but its commercial, not in the club

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd message Tomtom regarding paintwork mate- he done a superb job on my 5.

Non-member Penfold aka The Dealer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I heard many different stories about blasting, dipping, putting a car back to bare metal... A lot of negative... Problem is we only hear of the ones where people moan... Not the ones that go right...

I look forward to seeing a the project thread

Trader
    Nocturnal Developments
    Post Thanks / Like

there's pro's and con's with both. once stripped to bare shell its depends on the condition. i found alot of rust was hidden behind the sealer.
    soda/sand blasting will only remove the rust you can see so wont remove rust on the other side of the panel ie inside chassis legs, also it will bounce off the sealer so that would have to be removed first.
    dipping will get into everywhere and removes all the sealer, including the stuff thats used to bond panels together, doorskins, bonnet supports so can ruin some bits and does need removing properly.
    another thing to point out is that when completely bare metaling is that the car is bound to have some filler here and there so some of the work has already been done, it will all need seamsealing etc etc.
    imo its just best to block the panels back and concentrate de rusting the affected areas.
    whichever route you take, and no matter how hard you try, unless your undoing the spots welds and opening panels up to de-rust the inside you can't get rid of it all, shame.
    regards the vin, once the bay is prepped it can be re stamped using a hammer/punch, either before or after primer depending how visable it is. this way the top coat will settle just nice revealling the numbers but protected, apparently

Post Thanks / Like

^^^^^^^

That's who I'd be talking to.