Post Thanks / Like

plan of action?

so after the website crashing again, whats the plan of action to sort it out?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: plan of action?

1. Backup server data to useable area
    2. Stabilise server (patching)
    3. Committee to decide on new host/webmaster
    4. ??

Post Thanks / Like

Guys, I'm an IT Project Manager by trade and happy to help out getting things stabilised if needed.

Ben

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveL485 View Post
    Sadly you won't be taken up on that, several of us have already offered and been ignored (i'm an IS Project Manager and Business Analyst)... we almost made some progress on the Facebook page while the site was down with talk of a new host, and almost got to discussing a new front end too but the site came back up and it stopped.

Here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/rtoclub/?fref=ts

Under the
    "Gordon Byers
    Site update.
    I've been speaking to the hosts and we're hoping to get it back up at the end of the day. I'll keep you all advised."
    post (81 comments)

and
    "Adrian Fletcher
    site down again or is it me?"
    post (156 comments)
    In fairness its Christmas we all have familys the site is at least up and running again and we are going to put a plan in place. As gorden said we are looking to put someone in as a web master but obviously it will be someone the committee agrees on. And dave its clear you have a massive problem with the committee because of the constant goading for a an argument. So why would we take you up on your offer of help? Are you like this in your place of work dave? I messaged you on facebook as I was looking to try and find a common ground and sort this out off of the boards. But no reply.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boostjunky View Post
    Guys, I'm an IT Project Manager by trade and happy to help out getting things stabilised if needed.

Ben
    Pm'd

Committee Member
    Events
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JRP View Post
    The gold starts again

I really hope not. It's like repeats of topgear on Dave

Committee, Treasurer, Memberships admin Ian S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guybrush View Post
    1. Backup server data to useable area
    2. Stabilise server (patching)
    3. Committee to decide on new host/webmaster
    4. Change webhost
    2, Completed by Gordon on Tuesday, 2 hours work, those that care own him some gratitude.

4 Gordon phoned Nimbus but sales were on holiday. We'll speak to them in the new year. They'll do all the migration work for free. IMO, we need a company (like them?) to look after the software underneath the site, the club cannot be relying on one or other member to do all the hosting management.

As far as I can tell from what, eg, Andy Bond and others who have generously offered help have said, the problem we had this week, and the fix, were beyond what they can do, so repeated offers of help are fine if the skill sets are there to carry out the required tasks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
    2, Completed by Gordon on Tuesday, 2 hours work, those that care own him some gratitude.

4 Gordon phoned Nimbus but sales were on holiday. We'll speak to them in the new year. They'll do all the migration work for free. IMO, we need a company (like them?) to look after the software underneath the site, the club cannot be relying on one or other member to do all the hosting management.

As far as I can tell from what, eg, Andy Bond and others who have generously offered help have said, the problem we had this week, and the fix, were beyond what they can do, so repeated offers of help are fine if the skill sets are there to carry out the required tasks.
    Things are on the up and it sounds positive.

Is what ever the issue is, something that could be solved with more money?
    Please don't argue and shout or talk down at me just give a clear answer.

Post Thanks / Like

No, we've never been adverse to spending money on the website.

The server, and 30 others, were hacked and compromised. Probably being used to sent out masses of spam and the host, Iomart, detected the unusual traffic and suspended the servers until they could have a think about what to do.

Post Thanks / Like

The server, and 30 others, were hacked and compromised. Probably being used to sent out masses of spam, the host detected the unusual traffic and suspended the servers until they could have a think about what to do.
    Only wondered If with more we could update site in areas and move to more secure servers/hosts.

No worries

Post Thanks / Like

We might be able to move to better hosts and spend LESS. Remains to be seen.

Post Thanks / Like

We might be able to move to better hosts and spend LESS. Remains to be seen.
    Even better, I was only going to suggest club donations via PayPal, like many other sites I visit, some would argue we pay subs but its not mandatory to donate.

Some extra in the coffers to help with site up keep and issues, and as I say only for people feeling generous every little helps.

Post Thanks / Like

My suggestion would be to start all over again and move over to proboards. retrorides does the job perfectly. Keep this old site running for old posts possibly. There is still a strong enough community to survive the shift.

This site has about 3 links that I bother to use the rest just seem to bloat the site out. Boards, Classified and Private Messages. The files section is un-ordered and next to useless.

I run a IT Hosting company and have considered whether or not we could host the RTOC site for free. My thought is that even though this is an option. The proboard route is preferred. All the backend is done automatically and the content is provided by the members.

Post Thanks / Like

The live page is also a good one I think.

Committee Member
    Events
    Post Thanks / Like

All I'll as about proboards and retrorides is that the search function on there is a joke.

I am ignorant to all internet matters and computers in general though so that's all I can fault it on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mingblus3 View Post
    proboards. retrorides
    My personal opinion, not on behalf of the club or committee, I think that looks (for the want of a better word or phrase, and I may edit one in if I become more eloquent later ) sh1t. I don't like sites that only use part of the screen width, to me they look 'amateurish', cheap.

Is it always that slow?

The classifieds are too difficult to see.

The whole site is so badly spread out all over the place, personally would have a hard time trying to use that one.

In 2008, we started off here with a 'dark' site like that but soon changed our minds.

Perhaps that Retro rides site is a poor example of what can be achieved with proboards?

Either way, as I posted earlier, more experienced members may not ever look at the other parts of the site but new members do. That's partly why they pay us to join.

When I was a newer member, as well as reading all the guides, I liked to look at members profiles. I do that now on other sites I go to.

At some point vBulletin may each the end of it's usability, but that isn't now and I for one am not in any position of get involved with creating a new site. There's nothing stopping people who can from putting something together to show what they can do and how good it can look / be / function. If that happens and someone presents a site that beats the carp out of this one then we'd have something to consider.

Post Thanks / Like

My only prob with the site is why do you have to have a photobucket to upload pics? What could you do to be like fb an make it so they juat load up? The rest of the sites not bad really concentrate on events and making the club more fun for all the national members get some comps going i havent seen anything in three years.. Alot of bitching but not much fun.. Get some comps going that way everyones envolved no matter were they are. Just my opinion

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    But no reply.
    Whats your surname mate? Genuinely did not get a message from you.

If you see my posts as goading, you misconstrue/misinterpret them. We made some headway on the FB page, all I did was link back to it. Why is that bad? And I have never said anything that isn't the truth
    Last edited by DaveL485; 26-12-2013 at 16:25.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slammed 66 View Post
    All I'll as about proboards and retrorides is that the search function on there is a joke.

I am ignorant to all internet matters and computers in general though so that's all I can fault it on.
    For sites with poor search functions, use google and prefix the search string with site:website URL, this then only searches the specified site, for example,

site:21toc.com Europa cup

Searches 21toc for Europa Cup.

Committee Member
    Events
    Post Thanks / Like

For sites with poor search functions, use google and prefix the search string with site:website URL, this then only searches the specified site, for example,

site:21toc.com Europa cup

Searches 21toc for Europa Cup.

Thankyou. You learn something new every day. And believe me, there's a lot I could do with learning re: internets and googles

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slammed 66 View Post

Thankyou. You learn something new every day. And believe me, there's a lot I could do with learning re: internets and googles
    No probs, there's stacks more...

Use a - to exclude a word from a search, or exclude a site.
    Renault 5 -site:wikipedia.org excludes wikipedia
    Renault -five Searches for Renault and excludes hits with "five" in the results

Put quotation marks around words "any word" to search for an exact phrase in an exact order.
    Put Define before any word to get a dictionary lookup on it
    Wildcard a search with a * in quotations... "Renault makes * cars" where * can be any word.

Post Thanks / Like

Whats your surname mate? Genuinely did not get a message from you.

If you see my posts as goading, you misconstrue/misinterpret them. We made some headway on the FB page, all I did was link back to it. Why is that bad? And I have never said anything that isn't the truth
    I sent via my girlfriends account as I don't have Facebook myself. I will pm you as I don't want Groundhog Day again

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mingblus3 View Post
    My suggestion would be to start all over again and move over to proboards. retrorides does the job perfectly. Keep this old site running for old posts possibly. There is still a strong enough community to survive the shift.

This site has about 3 links that I bother to use the rest just seem to bloat the site out. Boards, Classified and Private Messages. The files section is un-ordered and next to useless.
    Shame you think that, but know that not everyone has the same opinion.

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nottswoody View Post
    My only prob with the site is why do you have to have a photobucket to upload pics? What could you do to be like fb an make it so they juat load up? The rest of the sites not bad really concentrate on events and making the club more fun for all the national members get some comps going i havent seen anything in three years.. Alot of bitching but not much fun.. Get some comps going that way everyones envolved no matter were they are. Just my opinion
    Do you mean this site or that proboards one ? Here you can attach a picture to any message (look below the area where you type!) or you can upload it to the files section and have your own folder or folders.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scoff View Post
    Do you mean this site or that proboards one ? Here you can attach a picture to any message (look below the area where you type!) or you can upload it to the files section and have your own folder or folders.
    Cheers scoff perhaps its just me and the lack of knowlege. I only come on here on my iphone i can load up on my profile no issues. But when i come to loading up on my threads off my phone iv always been told it has to be off a photobucket account.. Thankfully santa emptied his sack at mine and i have the ipad now so perhaps it won't be so hard todo? We live in the mobile world well i did anyway and always found it hard.. Thanks again..

Post Thanks / Like

The server, and 30 others, were hacked and compromised. Probably being used to sent out masses of spam and the host, Iomart, detected the unusual traffic and suspended the servers until they could have a think about what to do.
    Which to back up Ian, you cant plan for or plan against. Its higher up the food chain.

Noone is beyond being hacked

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by andybond View Post
    Noone is beyond being hacked
    My other half is.....She doesn't use the internet, email, doesn't have a smartphone or a landline, never been on social media. She's 36. Very, very strange indeed.

We communicate using a series of grunts

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

My other half is.....She doesn't use the internet, email, doesn't have a smartphone or a landline, never been on social media. She's 36. Very, very strange indeed.

We communicate using a series of grunts