View Poll Results: What new website feature is most important to you

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Better mobile experience (Skin/tapatalk)

7 18.92%
  • Facebook integration

3 8.11%
  • RTOC Reputation points

1 2.70%
  • Classified ads "Gallery/ebay style"

3 8.11%
  • Better forum search options

1 2.70%
  • Better advertisement of new technical articles that get written.

1 2.70%
  • Better calendar with "I'm attending" function

6 16.22%
  • Regular homepage updates

2 5.41%
  • Event writeups

0 0%
  • Better advertisement of upcoming events

1 2.70%
  • Easily sharing photos/videos

6 16.22%
  • Ensuring website is resilent (2nd host / offsite backups etc)

6 16.22%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Poll : Website features

What new website feature is most important to you?

Non-member Penfold aka The Dealer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Website features

Quote Originally Posted by Guybrush View Post
    What website feature is most important to you?
    The fact it works and is reliable...

Non-member Penfold aka The Dealer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Penfold aka The Dealer View Post
    The fact it works and is reliable...
    Jynxed it now haven't i??

Post Thanks / Like

Gary - I don't know how to put this, or what category to tick. But what would add to this web site would be a much easier to share media, so if that's better integration with FB, I would tick that. I find it un-user friendly posting video and images up on here to the point I rarely bother any more.

Also a notification system of when people have been in contact or commented on your content would also be welcome.

Sorry to be vague, but if this is the idea behind any of your given options could you point me in the right direction please.

Post Thanks / Like

Andy you can get notifications when people leave comments and Pm's I have emails sent to me whenever they do maybe there should be more info on how to do it. Also pictures are really easy to post full size using photobucket you just need to know how. Same with vids just get a you tube account and post the link up. So some tutorials would help.

Post Thanks / Like

I know this, but there's nothing quite like taking a video and sharing in the push of one Button is there.

You out Friday? I've got some money for you.

There, that should do it.

Post Thanks / Like

1. I've added that as an option to the poll
    2. Who is Gary?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Penfold aka The Dealer View Post
    Jynxed it now haven't i??
    It's a good point.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TNT ANDY View Post
    Gary - I don't know how to put this, or what category to tick. But what would add to this web site would be a much easier to share media, so if that's better integration with FB, I would tick that. I find it un-user friendly posting video and images up on here to the point I rarely bother any more.

Also a notification system of when people have been in contact or commented on your content would also be welcome.

Sorry to be vague, but if this is the idea behind any of your given options could you point me in the right direction please.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TNT ANDY View Post
    You can already subscribe to a thread (bottom of the page) and in your user settings you can specify to get an email when someone PM's you.

Post Thanks / Like

Direct and clear links to the Facebook page, so it's clear it's properly affiliated.

More user friendly mobile device access.

The ability to thumbs up or thumbs down a post just like YouTube.

A different set up running it to lessen the work load on the people behind the scenes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JRP View Post
    Direct and clear links to the Facebook page, so it's clear it's properly affiliated.

More user friendly mobile device access.

The ability to thumbs up or thumbs down a post just like YouTube.

A different set up running it to lessen the work load on the people behind the scenes.
    Those are all easily integrated ( apart from last point ! thats a management change )

There are some awesome plugins that sync facebook to forum and vice versa.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by andybond View Post
    Those are all easily integrated ( apart from last point ! thats a management change )

Easy for you, maybe (great job on 21Toc btw)

Not for anyone thats in control here (from what I have seen). Requirements need to be restricted to the capability of the people in control (and any budget), which is what you need to define before setting up a want list....otherwise everyone will be "We want this this this and this" and RTOC will just say "...er...sorry, we cant do it".

This is not criticism, before i'm flamed...it is a mere statement of fact and being realistic.

Post Thanks / Like

Wheels are in motion Dave.
    I'm looking for feedback which would determine which route we go down.
    What I wouldn't want is to commit a lot of money to a mobile interface if it wasn't the biggest requirement the members had.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Wheels are in motion Dave.
    I'm looking for feedback which would determine which route we go down.
    What I wouldn't want is to commit a lot of money to a mobile interface if it wasn't the biggest requirement the members had.
    Serious recommendation: Go look at 21Toc.

We have facebook integration, games arcade, reputation and "Thanks" ratings, QuickReply, Selective multi-quote,"Like" post, Intelligent thread title, statistics...all plugged in by our tame systems guru.....

....Some say he’s wanted by the CIA and that he sleeps upside down like a bat. All we know is he’s called....Andy Bond

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveL485 View Post

We have facebook integration, games arcade, reputation and "Thanks" ratings, QuickReply, Selective multi-quote,"Like" post, Intelligent thread title, statistics...all plugged in by our tame systems guru.....

....Some say he’s wanted by the CIA and that he sleeps upside down like a bat. All we know is he’s called....Andy Bond
    alot of forums have this already im on the fiat forum as the missus has a seicento and it sounds identical to the 21 site, this would be great if we could have this and add the live page.

what else could you want or need guy check either the 21 or fiat forum but in the end the computer normally says NO pmsl lol

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't mean management, I ment a different web design or somthing.. That's easier to maintain.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't mean management, I ment a different web design or somthing.. That's easier to maintain.
    I didnt mean to sound offensive when I said management change . I meant in terms of who manages stuff in the background. That is a change of management , not get people out and new ones in etc.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Does it get any easier than PHP?

I mean...if Bond can do it.....

Post Thanks / Like

154 views and only a handful of votes

South West Regional Rep Alastair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good?

Although being an old fart I quite like the old school RTIC page because I can drive it! I can't use tap talk and deleted the app lol!!

The LIVE page is the best thing though when you get 2 mins free at work to see what's going on...! Please keep it!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alastair View Post
    Sounds good?

Although being an old fart I quite like the old school RTIC page because I can drive it! I can't use tap talk and deleted the app lol!!

The LIVE page is the best thing though when you get 2 mins free at work to see what's going on...! Please keep it!!!
    There is a new feature , well I say new - its new in VB4, its called Todays posts it works very much like the LIVE feature.

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

If we go with a new version of vB I should be able to rework the live code to work with it. Someone will need to let me know if and when that happens though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scoff View Post
    If we go with a new version of vB I should be able to rework the live code to work with it. Someone will need to let me know if and when that happens though.
    Appreciate what you are saying there dude , but wouldnt it be better going to an extent standard VBulletin rather than customising something and risking a revert later when patches/updates come out ?

FWIW I think VBulletin is dead on its feet. VB4 was great ,but now almost legacy, VB5 comes across as a farce. Id throw my hat into XenForo now ..

Committee, Treasurer, Memberships admin Ian S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Could we have two sites sharing the same SQL?

So non mobile users who are happy with what they know and use daily can carry on with this site with it's easier to see layout, read, look and feel, whilst those seeking this months latest look, FB users, mobile users, whatever else, can use that or those other interfaces.

But all the posts, messages, files, are in the same database?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Allow me to analogise:

Six months ago, my boss at work asked me to look at trying to improve the general way a department runs after he had a request for help from it's dept.manager.
    I embedded in the department for a couple of days. I was stunned at how inefficient it was with every task requiring duplication of work, sometimes even 3 times. One guy taking sample orders (of chocolate for sales reps) was taking manually entered orders from a sharepoint site, printing them off, keying them manually into SAP, then updating a spreadsheet with what had been ordered and sending it to the users, and then updating his tasks list on the managers metrics site for KPI's. Ridiculous.
    I had a think, and then threw everything they did in the bin and started again.

They moaned like anything...."if its not broken, don't fix it", "We dont need to change it" etc etc.

Regardless, i've changed it. Now i've built the solution and trained them to use it, and they can see the 'new world' if you like, the attitude changed in an instant. I worked out all double keying, automated order uploading, requests are validated against valid product, KPI's are automated...it's a clever integration of sharepoint, SQL Server, infopath, Excel, SAP and Outlook and with auditable traceability on everything. Sample order guy can now process an order ninety percent faster. It's so good in fact, there is a potential head count reduction I think.

The point:
    RTOC is the floundering department using out of date and inefficient technology and processes.
    It needs a rethink to bring it up to date. People resist change...until they see that the change is better.

One last comment: Bespoke solutions stepping outside of standard models are great...fancy....pretty....special....different... .UNTIL the person that built it all steps away. Then the next guy is stuck. And where do you end up then.... oh yes.... right here

Post Thanks / Like

You 're merely stating what anyone here paying attention already knew after I said it 5½ years ago.

So you don't have any actual solutions to suggest then?

The only things really wrong with what we have are:
    • The email has a rDNS or PTR or SMTP mismatch problem.
    • Some people would prefer mobile phone a FB integration.
    • Spam deletion could be better.
    • Would be nice to have some of the fancy plug-ins.
    • Could perhaps do with another user group for the management team.
    • The payment / membership system has an issue from the beginning that was never fully fixed and sometimes causes a manual intervention.
    • No doubt a few other bits could be better.
    • Better articles presentation, but does anyone care any more?
    • Better calendar presentation.
    • Better classifieds.
    • Better and fully managed back up and restore.

Simply having some one move it to later version won't fix it all. Someone will still have to put in man hours. And if every year the new barely completed software is considered too old what then? Just how much money, time and effort should be expended every year? And what will that achieve in more / happier members?

• The fact there are only 26 votes in this poll is what we've up against for so many years.

Post Thanks / Like

Ian dave only expressed his view.

Post Thanks / Like

We need solutions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
    We need solutions.
    Agreed, but a happier more friendly response/retort may have been on the cards.

It's about how it reads to a wider audience, you don't wish to come over all bah humbug like; I'm sure.

Not a dig even though it seems it, just an observation.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

You 're merely stating what anyone here paying attention already knew after I said it 5½ years ago.
    I offered help and all I got was insults and attitude from you. I started merely offering the benefit of experience here. Granted I could have reacted better but hey, you reap what you sow and all that.

I have PM'd you to try and resolve our differences because you still think I am this other Dave geezer and you won't respond to me.

Every time I post you seem to think i'm attacking you/committee/everyone. I'm not.

I do Information Systems, Master Data, Distribution systems and Sales Support in a $40 Billion a year business (Thats OUR turnover, not the whole industry). I'm good at it. I could be of use if you didn't keep deleting my posts, calling me names, ignoring my official complaints (thats directed at the whole committee btw) and generally being unprofessional and unbecoming of the role. You think we're idiots, fools, buffoons, clowns, aggressive belligerent ****tards that are Challenging you, no? Untrue. We're RTOC members trying to assist. Trying and failing, unfortunately.

So you don't have any actual solutions to suggest then?
    Yes, I do. For starters though, if you're not prepared to open the purse strings and spend some money, you're always, always going to be left with problems like there are now. Gratis only gets so far.

Firstly, I would suggest an all-member bulletin/poll by [multiple media]...FB, Twitter, Email, PM...even a newsletter...chuck out a bomb to all members that are contactable to ask for their opinion (a vote?) on whether we want to spend hard cash on this place. Vet for opinion, give pro's and cons, estimates of cost against the current club balance and projected income.

I'll even write the bulletin if you want to try that. Vote/Poll details on the back, votes/opinions taken by web, email, text, post. Don't rely on a forum post, be proactive and take it to the members.

I used the above method for something for 21toc many years back. We got a sixty percent response IIRC. Thats enough to gauge opinion from.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

a happier more friendly response/retort may have been on the cards.
    If I saw that i'd wonder what the hell was going on lol

Post Thanks / Like

• The email has a rDNS or PTR or SMTP mismatch problem.
    Detail me the problem Ian and I should be able to help, doubt its PTR or rDNS though

• Some people would prefer mobile phone a FB integration.
    VB4/Xenoforo

• Spam deletion could be better.
    See above

• Would be nice to have some of the fancy plug-ins.
    Definate pattern emerging here !

• Could perhaps do with another user group for the management team.
    You know the answer before you read this

• The payment / membership system has an issue from the beginning that was never fully fixed and sometimes causes a manual intervention.
    We used the inbuilt vbulletin one over on 21toc for several years. Works out exactly who and what is paid/expiring/etc

• Better classifieds.
    Some great mods out there.

• Better and fully managed back up and restore.
    True, True

Simply having some one move it to later version won't fix it all. Someone will still have to put in man hours. And if every year the new barely completed software is considered too old what then? Just how much money, time and effort should be expended every year? And what will that achieve in more / happier members?

• The fact there are only 26 votes in this poll is what we've up against for so many years.
    I would investigate the typical and specified life cycle of the software and decide if you want to upgrade every year , or every two.

I tended to keep 21toc upto date every release. It made it a million times easier to update little by little than a rather big bang.

Post Thanks / Like

Could we have two sites sharing the same SQL?
    Yes. Its a bit of a fiddle and its easier to do if they are all hosted at the same place.

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like some know just as much on here as they know about there renaults why join hands together and make a awesome site even better, yes im talking about RTOC lol, what about if dave and andy got something prepped in there own time ian and brought it to you for a heads up, might as well spend a few coffers on a new website eh

as long as the live page can stay but if this is to hard then lose it

does this sound like a good plan ian
    thanx mick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R5MJH View Post
    sounds like some know just as much on here as they know about there renaults why join hands together and make a awesome site even better, yes im talking about RTOC lol, what about if dave and andy got something prepped in there own time ian and brought it to you for a heads up, might as well spend a few coffers on a new website eh

thanx mick
    Good idea mick,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R5MJH View Post

thanx mick
    We've got a dev site for the RTOC website that could do with a reset, but would be the starting point for this kind of activity.

Post Thanks / Like

We've got a dev site for the RTOC website that could do with a reset, but would be the starting point for this kind of activity.
    I am not looking to tread on anyones toes or muscle in either. Just point in the right direction if needed /wanted.

Post Thanks / Like

I am not looking to tread on anyones toes or muscle in either. Just point in the right direction if needed /wanted.
    we know that andy your looking out for the rtoc members

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Subject to the purse strings being loosened, why not contract Giraffe IT do do the whole job? You dont have to work for free, we get accountability and some leverage for results.

Discounted rates of course.

Someone with a vested interest and understanding will always do a better job.

Post Thanks / Like

Giraffe IT Discounted rates of course.
    Behave. GiraffeIT do not understand the term Discounted rates.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Behave. GiraffeIT do not understand the term Discounted rates.
    "Fixed Fee"?

Post Thanks / Like

"Fixed Fee"?
    I dont do them either

Post Thanks / Like

154 views and only a handful of votes
    Alter the title of the thread to include the word poll. I've looked (very briefly) at this thread twice before and only this time did I realise there's a poll at the top to vote on.

Everybody ought to be voting for the website resilience option, since that's likely to lead to a setup that includes a lot of the other things listed anyway!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post
    Alter the title of the thread to include the word poll. I've looked (very briefly) at this thread twice before and only this time did I realise there's a poll at the top to vote on.

Everybody ought to be voting for the website resilience option, since that's likely to lead to a setup that includes a lot of the other things listed anyway!
    Done.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Poll : Website features

there is a definate difference between the need for a 2nd host and offsite backup.

I would be backing up the mySQL to an external hard drive every other week, but I wouldnt be worried about the host going bang.

Its not like RTOC will loose anything financially ( other than investment ) if a host went under.

Post Thanks / Like

Andy, I've been a bit confused that poll option too.

I took resilience to mean that the website should have, at its root, a non-bespoke php (or similar) front/back end. Something that a lot of people have skills in, thus ensuring ongoing support is made as easy as possible (and achieving resilience in that respect). I'm less concerned about offsite back ups and a 2nd host. They are risks I'd live with.

Maybe the bit in brackets in the poll needs adjustment? Maybe some of these things are separate options that might have been included in the poll? I'm not sure. It's probably moot now anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Done.
    Just looking again. I must have been blind. Was this thread always a sticky thread with the word poll after it (Sticky: Poll: )!? What's wrong with me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post
    Andy, I've been a bit confused that poll option too.

I took resilience to mean that the website should have, at its root, a non-bespoke php (or similar) front/back end. Something that a lot of people have skills in, thus ensuring ongoing support is made as easy as possible (and achieving resilience in that respect). I'm less concerned about offsite back ups and a 2nd host. They are risks I'd live with.

Maybe the bit in brackets in the poll needs adjustment? Maybe some of these things are separate options that might have been included in the poll? I'm not sure. It's probably moot now anyway.
    Good call Trev.

I would support what you are saying in terms of non specialist non bespoke ( other than standard plugins available for vbulletin mods )

Multiple people able to fix single problems.

Post Thanks / Like